weighing and measuring

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

anniexf
Button Grecian

Re: weighing and measuring

Post by anniexf »

Kim2s70-77 wrote:Great quote, Annie!

Thanks, Kim - I knew it would come in handy some day!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

[quote="Angela Woodford"]I feel sure that I was never examined by Dr Jory. Oh, that would have been hideous!

I'm still amazed that he put me on thyroxin for my weight problem, after asking first if I was a bit slow and not very good at Maths. I've written about it before, I know. But really! :twisted:

Weight loss 1lb. The thyroxin, as you'd think, made me rather more excitable. :P

That day when Sister Summers called up t'Imf the four fattest girls in school! Sister herself was a big woman - a very big woman. A huge woman.

(How I giggled to see that one of her retirement presents was a spindly-legged floral sun lounger...)[/quote]

Now THAT I do remember. And Sister Summers made Dawn French look svelte, her successor being quite the opposite, of a similar size to Queenie and Mrs Betterton.

But absolutely NO memory of any medical exams.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
seventhirty
2nd Former

Post by seventhirty »

Re 'squizzing' - it was still there when I started (under Nelly Norman), but I think it was pretty much discontinued a year or two later (under Miss Gravett), it was probably her idea to stop it, although I think 'backs' and 'feet' continued for a couple of years more. I think Miss Gravett instituted a few culture changes in PE - she was a bit more 'modern' in her outlook, although she could be very sarcastic! I remember that Miss Tucker's arrival (1972) heralded a few changes in general culture, although probably fewer and slower than some would have liked.

I have just remembered the 'dance' lessons in the gym - we had an external lady come in to play the piano (!) whilst we pranced unwillingly in our jumpsuits and bare feet. Sometimes we had to do marching practice, but often it was 'experimental;' stuff with Miss Gravett - I remember improvising 'moving like knives, forks and spoons' whilst she sat writing in a notebook. was she writing reports? or was she perhaps doing a coursework project?
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

I remember squizzing, in the gym (or should I say being squizzed), though I'm surprised that it was as often as twice a term. As with most things at school, it never occurred to me to question it, I just accepted whatever happened, even when I hated it.

I've no clear memory of being examined by Dr Jury, except once when I was ill. He addressed us all as "sausage", which I find, looking back, rather endearing.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Well Frances I don't think it is our memory - others are backing me up. It must have been someone's GOOD IDEA after our time!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

What an interesting thread !! :shock: :oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Angela Woodford wrote:I feel sure that I was never examined by Dr Jory. Oh, that would have been hideous!

I'm still amazed that he put me on thyroxin for my weight problem, after asking first if I was a bit slow and not very good at Maths. I've written about it before, I know. But really! :twisted:

Weight loss 1lb. The thyroxin, as you'd think, made me rather more excitable. :P

That day when Sister Summers called up t'Imf the four fattest girls in school! Sister herself was a big woman - a very big woman. A huge woman.

(How I giggled to see that one of her retirement presents was a spindly-legged floral sun lounger...)

Four fattest girls in the school? :oops: How unbelievably unkind of that Sister. If it's the one I'm thinking of, she was very short and extremely plump. Did someone say she was the sister of Bessie summers 4's one-time housemistress? The latter was one of the better HM's wasn't she? Going back to that medical examination, I vividly remember it in the summer term of the 3rd year, we were all dreading it. :? It was the parts he examined, can't really go into detail here , but it was all too intrusive, and as Seventhirty says, not at all necessary.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Gregson Williams rings a bell, did he have a daughter called Anne, who lived at home, but was attached to 8s? I can't remember any "parts" being examined, but he was generally thought to be a bit intrusive.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.