Hertford Memories - The Book

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Re: Hertford Memories - The Book

Post by chaosriddenyears »

Hmm - difficult one. Might be worth asking a tame solicitor about the more ticklish stories or look up the laws on defamation of character just to be sure. I think a book about Hertford has to include people like Mrs.D and SWSNBN and DR's harshness to avoid it turning into a rollicking what-ho jolly hockeysticks kind of thing. In fact it's impossible to describe Hertford without DR's cold blue stare and the terror she inspired in people.
After all, what about all these film stars who write their autobiographies? If you are not allowed to write about people as they really were, what is the point of writing at all?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think quoting some of "Half to Remember", the bit about girls who were boy-mad springs to mind, would do the job nicely I should think. No libel there.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I have a copy of a book of Hertford reminiscenses written by Hazel Rolf in 1980. It is called 'Christ's Hospital, Hertford, the Girls' School in the 20th Century' and goes into enormous detail about such themes as dress, food, daily life. I had forgotten that I had it, until I went to the bookshelf to take out and re-read 'Half To Remember'. It is a fairly flimsy volume and the pages are coming unstuck as I read, so some licking and sticking apparently required! I also used to have a copy of Louie Angus's book 'Blue Skirts into Blue Stockings', but it seems to have gone walkabout unfortunately.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Oh, oh - it's been done already!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

None the less I should like to read it.

I was listening to a book programme the other day, which claimed that in the future one will be able to have a book (any book... any time any place anywhere) printed to order via the miracles of technology. so one day I'm bound to find Hazel Rolf. The name is familiar, but I can't say why. Maybe up on a Mons' Board?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I thought the name sounded vaguely familiar too but I can't picture a face, a year or a house!
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Maiden name Sirett at Hertford 1931 - 1938 (I think in 3's) and I believe she died not too long ago. I vaguely remember that she was actively involved with the BSB. The Preface to the book was written by Miss Tucker, so she may know how to get hold of a copy. I would consider lending you my rather battered copy, but I am a little worried that it might go the way of 'Blue Skirts into Blue Stockings' which would be a pity if it is not replaceable (?spelling). It does have an enormous amount of detail, which makes for fairly tedious reading in parts, but I am sure there would still be enough scope to produce another book from all the stuff that is not already there. Go for it!!

MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Yes, go for it! Presumably Hazel Rolf's book (which I would love to read too) is about an earlier era, given her dates at Hertford.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Fjgrogan wrote: I would consider lending you my rather battered copy, but I am a little worried that it might go the way of 'Blue Skirts into Blue Stockings' which would be a pity if it is not replaceable (?spelling). It does have an enormous amount of detail, which makes for fairly tedious reading in parts, but I am sure there would still be enough scope to produce another book from all the stuff that is not already there. Go for it!!
Oh, but Frances.... (wheedly voice) If you would consider???

I'm very very careful with books and always return them. A reference may be obtained from Mary (see above, who kindly loaned me BSIBS). I'm fully into increased penalties in the cases of Book Crime.

I think you're right - Hazel Rolf - the BSB or even CHOGA? :rolleyes:

I'd be interested to see Hazel's approach...
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Angela - send me your address in a PM or e-mail or whatever, and I shall post it to you once I have finished re-reading it myself. She does cover reminiscenses from before WW1 right through to the then 'present day', so a wide span, but some periods are more detailed than others, so definitely scope to expand.

Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

On reflection - I think Hazel's book may have been an in-house effort. There is no indication of a publisher, and the quality is pretty flimsy. I was sure I also had Miss Page's book but that also seems to have gone walkabout, as does Deed of Pity. We were each given copies of three books which were presumably left over from the 400 year celebrations. Miss Page taught History before Miss Mercer, but was eventually forced to retire with pernicious anaemia.

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

That would be wonderful, Frances. I'll take very great care of it, I promise.

About to pm you -
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Fjgrogan wrote:On reflection - I think Hazel's book may have been an in-house effort. There is no indication of a publisher, and the quality is pretty flimsy. I was sure I also had Miss Page's book but that also seems to have gone walkabout, as does Deed of Pity. We were each given copies of three books which were presumably left over from the 400 year celebrations. Miss Page taught History before Miss Mercer, but was eventually forced to retire with pernicious anaemia.
I was told by Maureen Harding (RIP) that Fanny Page had become a Dipsomaniac in retirement.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Didn't Miss Page have some sort of title?
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Dr Page
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Fjgrogan wrote:I have a copy of a book of Hertford reminiscenses written by Hazel Rolf in 1980.
There was a Jackie Rolf in our time, wasn't there?? Any relation, I wonder?