Flu epidemic 1959

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

olefours
2nd Former

Re: Flu epidemic 1959

Post by olefours »

anniexf wrote:No, you didn't! I remember it too, I think it was called Dentifrice.
Thank goodness, anniexf. they were real. When you gave me the name, I googled it, and there's an empty Gibbs Dentifrice tin on ebay for £35.99. If we'd kept all those empty tins, ...
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I remember it too!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
olefours
2nd Former

Post by olefours »

Oh no, the tin on ebay is a shop display model, and 13" diameter. Wouldn't have fitted in our spongebags.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Gibbs Dentifrice, oh yes! And alternatively, Eucryl Tooth Powder, also a very lurid pink!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Angela Woodford wrote: Eucryl Tooth Powder, also a very lurid pink!
Don't laugh, I still use that!! The mint one is tastier though ...
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I seem to remember writing elsewhere on this forum about Gibbs Dentrifice. It did actually come in difference flavours, at home we each used different ones, which sounds terribly extravagant for those days. Eucryl was a new experience which I first discovered at Hertford, to my mother's dismay as it would have meant even more extravagance.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
olefours
2nd Former

Post by olefours »

anniexf wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote: Eucryl Tooth Powder, also a very lurid pink!
Don't laugh, I still use that!! The mint one is tastier though ...
I suppose some of us are lucky still to need toothpaste. Can anyone else still hear 'Mabel' Mactier banging her gavel and announcing 'dentist today, A to K, Ward ....'. No recollection of L to Z ever being called.
MaryB
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MaryB »

Angela Woodford wrote:Gibbs Dentifrice, oh yes! And alternatively, Eucryl Tooth Powder, also a very lurid pink!
My Eucryl was definitely white, hence the possibility of certain people adding Glitto (Hertford Vim) to it, which I've written about elsewhere.
Does anyone else remember the Gibbs Ivory Castle series of story books? We had them in my primary school and they were irritatingly obviously both advertising and improving. There are a few to be found by googling, eg [url]http://biblio.co.uk/books/80009817.html /[url], suggesting that they were already old in the early 60s.
Mary Bowden (Gaskell)
5.10, 3.6: 64-71
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

olefours wrote: I suppose some of us are lucky still to need toothpaste. Can anyone else still hear 'Mabel' Mactier banging her gavel and announcing 'dentist today, A to K, Ward ....'. No recollection of L to Z ever being called.
I well remember Mabel and her gavel, but I have no memory of going to the dentist at school. I thought my parents had to sign a form that I'd been seen in the holidays (each term? each year? no idea how frequently).
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I don't remember routine visits to the dentist when at Hertford, but I do remember visting the dentist at home so maybe my parents also confirmed to the school that I did not need the school dentist's ministrations. Just as well, really. I broke a tooth at some point and had to have an emergency visit. I recall that the dentist was down the road towards Ware, on the left. He made such a mess that I eventually ended up having to have the tooth crowned, and then removed completely and replaced by a bridge.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I went to the dentist at home, but certainly I had my first filling which required a local anaesthetic at the dentist in Hertford who was in the same place as Kerren remembers. That is the one which fell apart a few weeks ago.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:I went to the dentist at home, but certainly I had my first filling which required a local anaesthetic at the dentist in Hertford who was in the same place as Kerren remembers. That is the one which fell apart a few weeks ago.
P'raps the dentist should have had a stronger surgery !! :drinkers:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
MaryB
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MaryB »

Wasn't the dentist called Mr Finch?
Mary Bowden (Gaskell)
5.10, 3.6: 64-71
Angela Pratt 56-63
Deputy Grecian

Post by Angela Pratt 56-63 »

Yes, I remember the flu epidemic well. I was one of the first in 8's to catch it, so felt very smug when the early end of term was announced, Extra holidays when fit and well...? - brilliant. However much to my fury I was one of the very few people who caught it twice! Dr Jory and Sister Summers were very concerned and I had to have blood tests etc and a room of my own (where?) for a while. I ended up staying at school and missing half the holiday, I was so cross! However I can remember wandering around a deserted school, quite spooky!
I remember the tins of Gibbs Dentifrice too. At home we too had had our own colour tins - red, blue, green, but big arguments arose when child No 4 was old enough to want his own - who wanted to share a colour?
(I remembr the same problem arose with chocolate Penguin biscuits, same colour wrappers. It was a good thing that by the time No 7 arrived, enough of us were old enough not to care - much)

Angela (Pratt *'s 56-63)
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

The dentist did checkups once or twice a year, and thoseof us needing trearment had a letter to take home, which had to returned to say the work had been done. As I recall, a few people had nimor orthdontic work done at school.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.