'old girls' days at Hertford

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

seventhirty
2nd Former

'old girls' days at Hertford

Post by seventhirty »

Another memory triggered by this site - The annual 'Old Girls' Day' which I think was probably in September. Old Girls would go to their old house to collect their badge, then have a formal lunch, then a chapel service, then tea. They would wander around as if they owned the place(!), and would chat a little to current girls, although they were mainly there for the memories. It was in some senses an imposition on the current girls, as they had to sacrifice their saturday, stay on best behaviour, and had to eat lunch in house, so that the Old Girls could use the Dining Hall. However the positive side was that there was a sense of oral history in the occasion, and one developed a real sense of the continuity of the place, as 'old ladies' (of at least my current age !!) would comment loudly about the cleanliness of the brasses! and comment about how things had changed. Through these women, we (in the 1970s) got an insight into CH in the 20's, 30's, 40's, with it's cultural insights, that my daughter doesn't get in her (outstanding) state school. I know that in my time one VERY old lady visited, who had been at Hertford at the time when boys were there - ancient history indeed, but still, a living memory!

The same thing is happening on this site, a combination of reminiscences and the passing on of a cultural memory. I find it interesting to see that Girls of even 20 - 30 years before me have very similar cultural memories, which themselves represent a culture barely changed from the generation before.

In the 70's we still had the 'wartime' or even pre-war culture of austerity and old fashioned rules that slowly changed after DR left. But thinking back to those musty photos which lined the Ashbourne Pavilion, of teams of girls in the 1920's and 30's, with their long plaits and tennis racquets, I suspect their generation were inhabiting a rather modern and forward thinking girls school for their time.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: 'old girls' days at Hertford

Post by Katharine »

The most exciting thing for me on OG' day would be opening my locker and finding a present from a previous 6 - 14. I think it happened twice, but I always lived in hope! My poor successors I was abroad much of the rest of Hertford's existence!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I loved Old Girls Day, it was proof that there was normal life after CH.

I never, ever went back though in my defence for 8 years I was in the North or the Midlands, but even after moving to London in 1980 I felt no urge to return. I did once have to go to Stevenage in about 1987 and detoured via Hertford, but until last April I never set foot through the gates.

I did go to OB day at Horsham in 94 and 96 but have never been since, perhaps next year.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Gerrie M-A suggested on Facebook that we DO think about an 'Old (Oestrogen) Blues' Day next year. It would be fun, don't you think??
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Kim2s70-77 wrote:Gerrie M-A suggested on Facebook that we DO think about an 'Old (Oestrogen) Blues' Day next year. It would be fun, don't you think??

I can almost hear Neill's mind working away as I type !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I am sure if Neill wants to be an honorary Old Girl, he would be very welcome, provided that he brings along the Blessed Anne to keep him in order!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Fjgrogan wrote:I am sure if Neill wants to be an honorary Old Girl, he would be very welcome, provided that he brings along the Blessed Anne to keep him in order!

What a lovely idea! i went to OG day (summer term) once, but after that I was in disgrace, and didn't go back again.

We had one eccentric OG from 3s who was to be avoided at all costs- she would grab her victim by the hand and skip round the square while she told the world what a useless preparation for the real world Hertford was.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

midget wrote:
Fjgrogan wrote:I am sure if Neill wants to be an honorary Old Girl, he would be very welcome, provided that he brings along the Blessed Anne to keep him in order!

What a lovely idea! i went to OG day (summer term) once, but after that I was in disgrace, and didn't go back again.

We had one eccentric OG from 3s who was to be avoided at all costs- she would grab her victim by the hand and skip round the square while she told the world what a useless preparation for the real world Hertford was.

I actually laughed out loud on reading that sentence.

Sounds like something from a 'Carry On' film !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Yes, I remember a strange Old girl from Threes; I think she was Doreen somebody - and of course, judging by many of the comments on this forum she was at least partly right about Hertford being a useless preparation for the real world, but somehow we all survived!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

midget wrote:What a lovely idea! i went to OG day (summer term) once, but after that I was in disgrace, and didn't go back again.

Since no-one else has yet requested an explanation, I'm guessing that you have already 'fessed up on another thread.

Would you be willing to either direct me whence I need to go or re/tell the story? :)

xx
MaryB
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MaryB »

Fjgrogan wrote:Yes, I remember a strange Old girl from Threes; I think she was Doreen somebody - and of course, judging by many of the comments on this forum she was at least partly right about Hertford being a useless preparation for the real world, but somehow we all survived!
I've been racking my brains to remember her surname. We were all "assigned" an OG to look after and show round the school if they wanted, and the competition in 3s was for yours to be anyone but Doreen. I think she was from the pre Great War generation, and she dressed in period. I don't remember her saying anything derogatory about the school though. In fact, she probably would have been very interesting to talk to if only we'd been able to get over her embarrassing appearance and eccentricity. I think we had very little interest in earlier generations of Hertford girls.
Mary Bowden (Gaskell)
5.10, 3.6: 64-71
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I remember her as well, she would wear black and a black straw hat with bright flowers or fruit or somesuch on it, she looked like an extra from "My Fair Lady" the Covent Garden scene. The word was that she was not to be told when it was Old Girls Day, but she always turned up anyway.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
midget wrote:What a lovely idea! i went to OG day (summer term) once, but after that I was in disgrace, and didn't go back again.

Since no-one else has yet requested an explanation, I'm guessing that you have already 'fessed up on another thread.

Would you be willing to either direct me whence I need to go or re/tell the story? :)

xx
Simple really, I started as a med student, hated it, failed 2nd MB and joined the world of the workers. In any case the LCC cut off my grant until I had passed, and there was no way my parents could support me financially. DR thought I should have applied to educational charities for funding, and the fact that I was quite unsuited to the course was completely irrelevant!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Post by chaosriddenyears »

midget wrote:
This certainly rings a bell and like JR, I really laughed out loud. I don't remember experiencing her but I think she was talked of even after she didn't turn up anymore.

How on earth would the girls today react if we turned up on OG's day in 70's gear and skipped round the school with them? Oh, what a temptation!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Oh yes, lets, hot pants anyone?