Hazel Rolf's book

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Hazel Rolf's book

Post by Katharine »

I have just read Hazel Rolf's book CH Hertford The Girls' School in the 20th Century. Frances had sent me her battered copy when she returned another book - to my shame I found a pristine copy on my bookshelf :oops: :oops: It was given to me by my Aunt Helen for Christmas 1981. She had written about her career after leaving CH - nursing during the war and then in Zululand.

The book is a compilation of memories from more than 60 old girls, the oldest listed having entered CH in 1903, the youngest two were Ann Buddle (61 -68) & Sue Hitchins (67 - 72). I've just realised the list at the back is incomplete as there are also contributions from 2 that I remember - Elizabeth Onley and Heather Ewbank, and they are not listed.

One thing that delighted me was to read of the six most senior girls in the school going to London to present the Loyal Address to the Queen in June 1953. "For the first time we were wearing the new yellow dresses and silk stockings ... with panama hats and cream-coloured gloves these proved a very pleasing and attractive uniform."

I have a childhood memory of going to a service in the chapel at Horsham, possibly 1953 which would have been my brother's first summer there, and I would have been 6. I can see the girls sitting on the back rank of pews, wearing their yellow dresses and gloves. I don't think I have seen any other mention of the gloves, but they have stuck in my memory, presumably because gloves were worn to keep your hands warm in winter and not during the summer! I was also told that if I was a good girl and worked hard at school I might wear them when I was a big girl. I did work hard, but I never wore cream-coloured gloves! I did wear the yellow dresses but the silk stockings for best had been replaced by 60 denier nylon by the time I got my BA.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
anniexf
Button Grecian

Re: Hazel Rolf's book

Post by anniexf »

I've been checking Amazon on and off for months for this book but it's always "Currently unavailable". I knew Elizabeth Onley, fantastic swimmer & violinist a year or so above me in 8s.
Is Hazel Rolf the author of other books eg "Sisters all in time of war"? ( by Hazel Alice Rolf?
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

There was a ?Jackie? Rolf at CH in the 70s. Any relation?
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I think she was Hazel's daughter. I believe the question has come up once before on this forum, but cannot remember exactly where or when. Kerren will know - fount of all such wisdom!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3235&start=45

oh Frances, this did make me smile
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Good Lord! Brain fart! Obviously certain neurons fire with particular stimuli - but not a lot registers permanently these days!! Thank you for the correction!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

The 'search' button, top right, is very useful.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Yes, Jackie is Hazel's daughter.
Yes, Hazel did write 'Sisters all in Time of War' - she died relatively recently, I seem to believe. Within the last 18 months or so?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
JackieRolf
2nd Former

Post by JackieRolf »

Hello all! I'm not sure if anyone will be reading this since it's in reply to a thread from 2009 but I came across this by chance and just wanted to confirm Kerren that Mum was alive and well in 2009, but sadly died on Feb 4th 2012 - she is very much missed. She did indeed write "Sisters all in time of war" as well as the collection of reminiscences of Hertford from Old Girls.

I am sure that some of the other writers were contemporaries of mine - I was in 3's from 1973 to 1980 - and I'd love to hear from anyone from the same era. CH was such a big part of my, my mother's, my cousin's and my nephew's lives. I've often been back and am amazed at how modern the school is now - but still offering a fantastic education. I don't recognize the descriptions from some of the more negative comments but I do realize that not everyone was happy there. I wasn't 100% happy at first, however looking back there were so many more positives than negatives.

Anyway I would be very happy to hear from anyone who knew me!
JackieRolf
2nd Former

Post by JackieRolf »

Oh and by the way I have several copies of "Sisters all in time of war" if anyone would like one - all proceeds will be split between the school and the Gurkha fund.
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

I would be interested in buying a copy of your mother's book, Jackie.