Hertford Uniforms

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Hertford Uniforms

Post by Katharine »

The Grey dresses and tartan blouses came in in 63/64 as I remember it. It was May 64 that I went to the Chelsea Flower Show and DR was purring with delight at the sight of us in them!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

The grey dresses only lasted for 'Sunday best' for about 5 years then, by 1970 we had 'blue sacks and cherry reds' and the greys were worn every day.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Angela Pratt 56-63 wrote: the rest of us continued with the thick old navy coats (newish for Sundays, threadbare during the week)
A memory has come back - thank you Angela! I was a new girl, standing under my peg in the cloakroom in 1's, with the dire Millie trying just such a coat on me. I think she hadn't been supplied with enough Harris Tweeds for all the new girls, and had delved about and come up with an old coat to do for me in the meantime.

It certainly was a bulky old thing which belted at the waist, but I rather liked it. It was thick, cosy and good quality wool. I remember Millie knotting the belt and jerking it abruptly to hold the coat in around my middle, saying "This'll have to do for the time being" in an :evil: way.

I wouldn't mind a version of that navy coat now... a "newish Sunday" one maybe! :lol:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

In my research I have found a document dated 1787 which refers to a "Bonnett made of Black Russell and Cane."
From the context, this was worn by girls of that era when outside the Hospital bounds; i.e., going to church or to the local town. The term "Black Russell" has me floored and I cannot find anything on the Internet which mentions it. It would appear to have been some form of material, possibly waterproof. Can anyone help at all, please?
:shock: :?: :?: :?:
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi

Sounds like a variant on the Jack Russell. These are normally mainly white. And rarely carry canes.

The Black variety sounds very dashing and I'm sure could catch on nowadays...

Sorry guys, couldn't resist.....<G>

Liz
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Wiki has this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_cord also see http://www.shepherdandwoodward.co.uk/ac ... Gowns.html

Obviously it was hardwearing stuff and the bonnets would last a long time. I imagine the cane gave then shape.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Katherine,
Many thanks. Your Google is obviously better than my Google. Anyway, problem solved - thanks again,
David :shock:
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

David - a friend on another forum found it for me! She knew of Russell cord which was the key!
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

CHAPEL HATS
Someone has just told me that not only does she remember the ghastly "chapel hat" being worn by the girls, but that she also has a vague recollection that it was worn by ward mistresses (is that the right term) in the Dining Hall. However, she admits that her recollection of this may be at fault and suggests I seek corroboration. So, can anyone confirm or refute that, please?
David :shock:
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I've never heard that one David, and I can hear in my head the sniggers that would have accompnied the wearing thereof!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I loved the chapel caps (except they were about 4th hand and disgustingly greasy), and even wore something similar as my 'going away' hat when I got married. Not navy serge with a CH badge on it, but a little brown corduroy number.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

David, Chapel Caps (not hats please!) were not really considered ghastly. It was irksome that we had to wear them every single time we went into chapel, but they did not compare with yellow dresses for ghastliness!

I don't remember any of the Ward mistresses wearing hats in Dining Hall. That was the correct term until the early 60s when Wards became Houses. All the staff who went to chapel had to wear hats there. I don't think any wore chapel caps.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

As hats go, Chapel Caps were, IMO, not bad. They were also very very useful for catching frogs on The Meads and transporting elderberries. I cannot, however, stop sniggering at the vision of Pot wearing one :twisted:
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I am sure I have heard or read somewhere that wardmistresses had to wear hats in dining hall, but certainly not within 'my time'. However there was a time when it was the norm for everyone - men and women - to wear hats; just look at any old photographs. The difference was that men removed theirs indoors, and women didn't - perhaps because the hat often covered hair that was less than perfect, and it would have been a lot of hassle to remove it and then have to replace it (all that juggling with hat-pins!). Then there is the whole question of hat-wearing and religion ............ which perhaps would require a separate thread? Has anyone else noticed though that we tend to keep the fashion taboos that were around in our childhood? I certainly don't have the urge to wear a hat every time I leave the house (or even in church) - although it was still the custom at CH it had long since ceased to be the norm elsewhere when I was a teenager. I do find however that I am not comfortable with bare legs; sandals are OK especially with trousers (which I wear most of the time) but I cannot bear wearing shoes without tights - I just do not feel dressed. Also, although I often walk around with my jacket unbuttoned, I instinctively fasten the buttons in church when I go up for communion, because it somehow feels disrespectful not to!!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

do you also keep your hands out of your pockets and not walk on the grass?

I do!
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87