Ward 2 Prayer

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Ward 2 Prayer

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

I was cleaning off a bookshelf this morning and located my CH bible and Book of Commmon Prayer. I opened the box wth the prayerbook in and out fluttered a cutting fron the Telegraph and a small card with "Ward 2 Prayer" written at the top. The prayer is:

"Grant, we beseech Thee, that Thy Spirit may so dwell within us, that we may go forth with the light of hope in our eyes, and the fire of inspiration in our lives; Thy word on our tongues, and Thy love in our hearts, and that we may do Thy will in service to all mankind, this day and evermore."

It seems terribly familiar as I type it, so I presume we said it regularly - but I had never realized that it might have been unique to our house. Did all the houses have their own prayer and, if so, what were the others??

The Telegraph cutting, incidently, was from the Court and Social page and is dated Thursday, January 11, 1979 (I guess it shows how often I open the Book of Common Prayer :oops: ). It announces Magdalen Mothersole's engagement. As a result of that, I have located a girl that I think must be her daughter, on Facebook, and have sent her a message to reconnect. Isn't the Internet wonderful? Other than Lynn Ford, who was briefly in 2s, I have lost touch with my year and would love to refind them! Does ANYONE know the whereabouts of Kate Donovan; Barbara Jones; Liz Biddulph; Carol Breadmore etc?? I briefly made contact with Paddy Woodman from 3s last year, and I know Sally Knatchbull-Hugessen is here in Baltimore, although I've not had direct contact. Would LOVE to have a reunion of more from our year!!
Jo
Button Grecian

Re: Ward 2 Prayer

Post by Jo »

I met Charlie Lycett a couple of years ago at a Hertford reunion. She is now Charlie Rogers, and is just the same. Two kids, IIRC Henry and Polly. I can't remember who else was in your year from other houses, only 5s.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Ward 2 Prayer

Post by Katharine »

I don't remember a special Sixes Prayer, there may have been one. Yours obviously dated from before your time, Kim, if it was called Ward Prayer rather than House Prayer.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965