HAPPY HERTFORD!

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Pratt 56-63
Deputy Grecian

HAPPY HERTFORD!

Post by Angela Pratt 56-63 »

Thanks for some positive responses to my posting on Health, hygiene etc. Good idea other Angela - lets encourage some posting of happy memories as well as sad ones.
fra828
Grecian

Re: HAPPY HERTFORD!

Post by fra828 »

I suggested starting a thread like this a while back; can't find my comment now, but it was followed by a negative post saying it would be a non-starter as happy memories were virtually non-existent at Hertford! Anyway although my memories of the place are certainly NOT, in the main, all that happy, I do remember I really enjoyed playing tennis on the hardcourts to relax after prep on fine summer evenings.
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

I'm sure Lynn can remember climbing out onto the roof, out of the bathroom window to fetch the bouncing balls!! Such fun!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Kim2s70-77 wrote:I'm sure Lynn can remember climbing out onto the roof, out of the bathroom window to fetch the bouncing balls!! Such fun!!

??

:oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

A couple of us, are engaging in a debate on Old Blue's Day -- entitled "It was better in my time "
The Opposition, will be two, current, Grecians.
We will consist of Barnes A and B respectively, but it would have been nice to have somebody from Hertford, engaging in the discussion.
As you have said -- it was sometimes fun, and I'm sure, as with myself, a little humour can be introduced --- even to Corporal Punishment ! :oops:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:A couple of us, are engaging in a debate on Old Blue's Day -- entitled "It was better in my time "
The Opposition, will be two, current, Grecians.
We will consist of Barnes A and B respectively, but it would have been nice to have somebody from Hertford, engaging in the discussion.
As you have said -- it was sometimes fun, and I'm sure, as with myself, a little humour can be introduced --- even to Corporal Punishment ! :oops:

Quite impossible.

How on earth could any Old Girl say it had been better in her time? You're talking bollocks, NEILL.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I imagine we would have been arguing against the motion, Angela :)
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Er..quite, Jo! :shock:

Whatever might NEILL have thought appropriate for any HOG to add to such a debate?

I sort-of-rejoice in the destruction of Hertford. And yet... I sort-of-want to participate in the nostalgia.

:cry:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
bayleaf
2nd Former

Post by bayleaf »

Oh, Angela, how well you sum it up! I sort-of feel exactly the same. Such unhappy memories, and yet ... well, I wouldn't be typing this if I didn't want to indulge in a bit of Hertford nostalgia, would I? And to think I've come to it after all these years - must be old age or something! I'm so glad you introduced me to this particular nostalgia-fest, anyway. It's very comforting to find so many HOGs out there reflecting all I think and feel about the place, confused as that is.
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Angela Woodford wrote:I sort-of-rejoice in the destruction of Hertford. And yet... I sort-of-want to participate in the nostalgia.

:cry:
Hear hear! Try this one; late summer's day (probably a saturday afternoon?) lounging around on the sports field near the Infirmary and the music rooms, eating crab apples from the tree and reading books; Nurse used to bring her little boy out to play sometimes too!

There, not often you'll here shiny, shiny Hertford from me either, Ladies! :)
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
Liz60
2nd Former

Post by Liz60 »

Yep - agree. Nostalgia is better than it used to be.
Terri
2nd Former

Post by Terri »

bayleaf wrote:Oh, Angela, how well you sum it up! I sort-of feel exactly the same. Such unhappy memories, and yet ... well, I wouldn't be typing this if I didn't want to indulge in a bit of Hertford nostalgia, would I? And to think I've come to it after all these years - must be old age or something! I'm so glad you introduced me to this particular nostalgia-fest, anyway. It's very comforting to find so many HOGs out there reflecting all I think and feel about the place, confused as that is.
How I agree. There must have been happy times - sitting on the field post exams reading and talking in the sunshine, singing carols by candlelight in the dayroom (until Julia Cleverden's hair caught fire - 'elf and safety would have had a field day). But if we were all so miserable and unhappy why did it seem that everybody else was enjoying it?
You probably can but may you?
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

For me, apart from exams, the summer terms were easily the best time at Hertford. I think it was being able to get out on the school field and sit about and relax on sunday summer afternoons. Even exam revision didn't seem so bad outside! And the final day of term with mark reading and prize giving , the excitement of going home after at least 8 long weeks of being cooped up ... that unbeatable end of term feeling! :P
Liz60
2nd Former

Post by Liz60 »

Yes, I tend to agree about the summer terms being rather better than the others (how my un-Mallory Towers heart used to sink when I saw the hockey nets go up...). I do remember, however, having to go out on the field on one particularly baking hot Sunday afternoon, despite protestations that I had a headache and all the shade had been bagged. I was somewhat vindicated in retrospect as I was sick in a very unladylike manner during Evensong and spent the next four days in the infirmary with severe sunstroke!
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

OK, there is one memory that still gives me goosebumps - but only one, mind!!! It was a Chapel carol service at the end of term, & I was in the soprano section in the choir. The atmosphere was, as the cliche goes, electric, for various reasons mostly I think connected with going home, & Chapel was only half-lit which made the anthem (choir only) "The Three Kings" sound absolutely ethereal; and when we sopranos came in with descant line in the last verse, hitting every note perfectly, Miss Weaver's face as she conducted was a picture of bliss. We felt pretty good too, and you could hear a pin drop when we'd finished.
And that's it; but I always listen to the 9 Lessons & Carols from King's if that anthem is listed on the programme. They never do it as well as we did!