Herts Memories

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: Herts Memories

Post by Angela Woodford »

"Me with the Duke of Gloucester".

That's quite sweet. Pedants Alert! "The Duke of Gloucester and I" perhaps?

As far as I remember, SWSNBN had several girls she liked as Nines Helpers. Phine Maude was one of them in my year. This Veronica Humphry must have been in the background, but very quietly until the happy day of the SWSNBN retirement!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

I definitely remember "Miss/Mrs" Humphrey - did not know her as Veronica though. If she was the needlework teacher - then I owe her a debt of gratitude for everything I have ever sewn since. She was incredibly organized - and had us all keep a composition book with written techniques and stitched samples of everything from French seams to button holes. It was a tremendous reference tome. I did not make the connection between the needlework teacher and "Wardrobe mistress" - but I was truly CLUELESS for 7 years about most of the events/things going on around me, so it isn't surprising. I've said it before - but I was in the most amazing FOG, from which I would surface briefly - and then return. Most things just passed me by.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Mrs Humphrey didn't teach needlework - the posts were split after SWMNBN's retirement. You may be thinking of Mrs Newbold, who took over as needlework mistress, though I think possibly Betty Jukes and Mrs Owen, one of the young Scripture teachers, might have taught some classes as well or in between. Mrs Newbold's husband was a master at Haileybury. She never taught me but she always seemed pleasant and down-to-earth, though if I remember correctly a friend who continued with needlework up to O level had a few run-ins with her.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Ruth
2nd Former

Post by Ruth »

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Thanks, Ruth. I think you left at the end of my first year, 1960. I don’t remember being told not to apply to LSE, but do remember that New Hall were looking for a different kind of girl from a CH one!
I was one of the first to apply to Oxford from the Upper VI, we were summoned to the presence and told we “would be applying to St Hilda’s or St Anne’s, St Hilda’s has a chapel, St Anne’s hasn’t, any questions”. I applied to St Anne’s, but didn’t get in, going to LMH the following year.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Ruth
2nd Former

Post by Ruth »

Oxford and Cambridge entrance were very rare in my time. No special preparation. School uniform worn for interviews. Nearly all of my cohort actually failed A Level History because Miss Page was ill and we hadn’t been taught properly. These days you’d sue! I spent a year at LSE and didn’t like it because I was living at home. I got into St Anne’s by taking its spring exam while I was at LSE. It was my 9th attempt at Oxbridge wonen’s colleges.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Oh yes, I remember wearing uniform for interview. I had smuggled in a pair of nylons to wear instead of our Sunday silk stockings!

As the start of the four term year coincided with my entry into the Senior VI, we did get some preparation for the exams. We had the full eight weeks of the autumn term teaching, we were given one morning a week in the Cookery School when we could make anything we liked. Six of us had stayed on after A levels, and we all got at least one Oxbridge interview, several, but not me, getting two. Four got offers, Anne-Marie Kelly getting offers from both for Classics. At least two girls got interviews before A levels, one of whom got a place at St Anne's.

It was not known whether a higher number than usual got places because of our innate ability or because of the extra teaching we had received!
seajayuu
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by seajayuu »

You need to add Sussex University to the list of places DR didnt let us apply to. Much too "fast" for her taste I think.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Chrissy, have you seen the photo of 7s in Ruth’s link, so many familiar faces - that I can no longer put names to! I don’t remember any house photos in 6s, how about 3s?

I don’t remember about Sussex
seajayuu
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by seajayuu »

Yes. I was sad that I could remember so few names but so many faces. Ruth, Joe Sutton, Caroline Scott sprang out with names to faces but I need to think hard about some others.
The picture of Ruth in a zephyr brought me up short. I remember zephyrs and judys before we went over to skirts and blouses in the sixth form. However nothing compared to the trauma of yellow dresses!
We didnt have house photos in 3's. Our lives at Hertford were less well recorded than those at Horsham I think.
seajayuu
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by seajayuu »

I think that I can add Lesley Thorpe, Marilyn Buckler, April ?.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I thought Lesley was in 4s! I agree with Marilyn and April Kelly.

I can’t find Liz Richards, considering how much time I spent with her in the VI form I find that surprising. I wish I could remember the name of the girl at the end of the row Ruth is on (8s side). Margaret? I think she was hit on the head with a cricket ball at some stage.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

PS what were judys?
seajayuu
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by seajayuu »

You are right, Lesley was in 4's.
We wore Judys in junior wards. They were disappearing when I arrived in '58. They were flowery and a slightly darker blue than zephyrs.
seajayuu
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by seajayuu »

PS I cant find Viv Walker.