Pan's People

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: Pan's People

Post by Angela Woodford »

Those early 70's days seemed wonderful to me. I left CH August '71.

I was woefully unprepared for life out in the world. But, since CH had bequeathed me an extremely low level of appreciation, just being out and about in London seemed amazing. I was humiliated by my fat-girl CH size, and extreme unwordliness. Normal people seemed amused by me. But everything seemed so lovely - so optimistic.

The pop songs that bring it back to me now are from Carole King's "Tapestry".
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:
J.R. wrote:Sad news.

Babs was always my favourite. Something definitely h0rny about her.

Still happily married to the actor Robert Powell, I believe.

"Beautiful Babs, I don't know what her name is!"
Fletch in "A Good Night In " Porridge 1974

'Babs' Lord. Just found a photo of her in yesterday's Mail, with those gorgeous LONG legs.

(VERY DEEP SIGH !!!!)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

"Babs". What a horrible name.

I have a sister, Barbara, who has successfully fought against "Babs" for 70+ years!

As if anyone would dare!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Yes, 1970- Bridge Over Trouble Water and infact the whole album, is a favourite of mine too. 'Those were the days 'by Mary Hopkin and 'Hey Jude', about 1968, bring back memories of watching totp on housemistress's tv. I remember watching 'Please Sir' in a packed hall on main school tv on Saturday afternoons!
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I think I've posted before that TOTP was a secret weapon of mine in keeping control of junior prep on Thursday evenings when I was a Mon. As all juniors do, they pushed boundaries relentlessly to see what they could get away with. I learned to keep perfect control by telling them that whilst I obviously couldn't make them behave, I would start timing their prep for the required 40 minutes from when they all shut up and settled down, and that time would be added on to compensate for any messing about thereafter. Their prep was supposed to finish at 7.25, just in time for them to belt back to house for TOTP, so any delay meant they missed the beginning.

I never used to have any bother with that class, and it taught me a useful lesson about finding the right incentive to get people to do things!

I enjoyed TOTP myself in those days but we didn't have a housemistress with a TV until about 1971 and I'm not even sure we were allowed to watch it then. I do remember seeing it at some time so she must have let us. I still have a soft spot for the glam rock that was around then, however naff it was in hindsight :oops:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75