CH Ladies on Facebook

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

CH Ladies on Facebook

Post by mvgrogan »

a new group started yesterday on facebook - CH Ladies - vast majority are early eighties Hertford girls... lots of photos and talk about recipes... and other stuff we got up to!!

already well over 100 members.... !
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
Angela Pratt 56-63
Deputy Grecian

Re: CH Ladies on Facebook

Post by Angela Pratt 56-63 »

Sounds good but not my generation! Does anyone know of any facebook groups that are 20-25 years older than that?
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

are the HOGOFs still active on facebook?
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Angela - when Maria told me about this group I said that I was still determined not to get involved with Facebook! Do please post on here if you manage to contact anyone of our generation!!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

apart from Jo, there are a bunch of gals from 70s joining now... pics are just hilarious - 80s hair and a skinny me!!! :shock:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

mvgrogan wrote:are the HOGOFs still active on facebook?
But of course! Are we not all sisters? :D

I'm amazed at the relaxed and much happier appearance of the last wave of Hertford girls. The things they got up to!

Blimey! A "Food Committee!"

I enjoy their reminiscences very much. I once began a thread entitled "All Change Miss Tucker" because I so hoped to hear that there was masses of change after DR had gone. And now it's fantastic to read that there certainly was!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Angela Woodford wrote:
mvgrogan wrote:are the HOGOFs still active on facebook?
But of course! Are we not all sisters? :D

I'm amazed at the relaxed and much happier appearance of the last wave of Hertford girls. The things they got up to!

Blimey! A "Food Committee!"

I enjoy their reminiscences very much. I once began a thread entitled "All Change Miss Tucker" because I so hoped to hear that there was masses of change after DR had gone. And now it's fantastic to read that there certainly was!

It's called progress. I think Angela. Mostly good improvements, and some...... ? Hmmmm.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

It all sounds so much better to me! Yes, JR, definitely progress!

But no change in the employment of weird Housemistresses with substance abuse and various other problems....
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

It's funny reading all the posts and looking at all the photos on the CH Ladies FB page. What a wealth of photographic documentation! I am very envious of that. I always felt like it was a 'lost era' in my life - a totally undocumented adolescence. I am also in awe of how HUMAN the staff sounds, in comparison to the way I experienced them. Interestingly, there was still a fair number of girls who felt as lost as I, however - in spite of the changes. Cigarettes! Boys in the dorms! Was I really so repressed and compliant, without question?? What happened to my spirit? I would have been TERRIFIED to do anything that would have brought down wrath and/or disapproval. (Which made my last term all the sadder, I suppose!) Sigh!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Kim2s70-77 wrote:It's funny reading all the posts and looking at all the photos on the CH Ladies FB page. What a wealth of photographic documentation! I am very envious of that. I always felt like it was a 'lost era' in my life - a totally undocumented adolescence. I am also in awe of how HUMAN the staff sounds, in comparison to the way I experienced them. Interestingly, there was still a fair number of girls who felt as lost as I, however - in spite of the changes. Cigarettes! Boys in the dorms! Was I really so repressed and compliant, without question?? What happened to my spirit? I would have been TERRIFIED to do anything that would have brought down wrath and/or disapproval. (Which made my last term all the sadder, I suppose!) Sigh!

A lovely post, Kim.

You are not alone, although I suspect that suppression was greater in the 50's and 60;s
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

This was posted on CH Ladies by Caron Scott-Nadal formerly Caron Scott, Sixes & BaB, year above me.. so 79-86?

I never understood how people got addicted to Facebook until this weekend! Over the space of 48 hours I have rewound 30 years of my life and chatted to the people who were really there in that space and time and found it all to be just as I left it and just as fresh and real as it was then. I have to say girls-I've been overcome by waves of feelings reading what we've all written down after so long. So many beautiful, loving and strong women came out of a place so lacking in those things, wonderful in many other ways. I forgot how much we took care of each other-guiding each other through homesickness, 'the curse', first bras, exams and tests, family, grinding routine and the many petty injustices that would have ground us down if we hadn't had each other. I've got to go back to my 'now' life tomorrow but I feel like a different person. Now I feel ready to wear my posture badge-my back will be straighter and my chin higher because I know so much more about you and me now. Bless you all you lovely girls xx

It's just a glimpse of the positivity and reality on the new facebook page!

There are now over 200 members and just as many photos I think!! Mainly from 70s & 80s with a few familiar people from here, like Jo & Kerren, Me & Vonny!

Hertford Ladies only (sorry boys) so if you are on facebook, then come find us... it's a closed group so you have to be invited in - this mean that everyone in there is a friend of a friend of a friend etc of Lottie, who started it!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Does this mean a mass desertion of the forum by Hertford Old Blues?

Things seem generally quiet on this forum lately.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

To be honest, Andy, I'm surprised so many people sing the praises of Facebook.

It's been more trouble than it's worth to me personally !
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I'm not so sure that it's a 'mass desertion' from this Forum, by Hertford Old Blues. I was signed up to that Facebook Group a couple of years ago and it didn't do much until last week when, for some unexplained reason, people contacted others and within a very short time it has amassed over 200 members! Yes they are mostly 70's and 80's people but I am in there (60's) and am contributing as are others of my contemporaries who I invited to join. But you have to be a) on Facebook and b) a 'friend' on Facebook of someone else in the Group, to be invited to join.
It has been a hugely interesting and emotive week, or so, as the Group expands even further and more and more Hertford Old Blues post up their reminiscences and photographs. There is even a suggestion that there could be a TV programme resulting from it - but I don't know how far that will go!
The discussions have also revealed the continued existence of some of the silver Monitress' badges from Hertford - there were 36 of them and when Hertford went to Horsham, these precious badges were assigned to be given away as prizes - until there were none left! The Museum (where I now volunteer) has been trying for years to locate a model, and at last this Facebook Group has identified some!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Kerren - perhaps you could use your contacts on that Facebook group to find out whether there is anyone of our sort of vintage thinking of going to Old Blues' Day - I am dithering!!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'