Any proud moments at Hertford?

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

fra828
Grecian

Any proud moments at Hertford?

Post by fra828 »

I am/was not a very sporty person, but my proudest sport moment at Hertford was when I scored 3 goals in netball. Somehow I got picked for the 4B form team :o for position of goal shoot. We were playing a strong team from 5B,firm favourites to win. I scored my hat trick when we were 1-5 down. We still lost the match, but a large crowd gathered and cheered us underdogs on. This sounds all rather pathetic 40+ years on but such was the mundane, insular and narrow life at Hertford, for me it was a source of real pride to have scored those 3goals.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Re: Any proud moments at Hertford?

Post by anniexf »

There's one I've never forgotten. In, I think, my O-Level term, SWSNBN asked me to embroider two corners of a vast tablecloth. She'd already completed the first two, beautifully of course, and I was terrified. After much agonised concentration and making sure I didn't prick my finger & leave tell-tale blood-spots on the snowy linen, I handed my work in. I can't remember if she said anything, but a few weeks later it was put on display at some event - with only my two corners showing. I recall gasping in shock and excitement. At the end of term mark-reading I got a Commended for needlework, a triumph! Especially gratifying as my first ever effort at hemming, in Lower IV2, had been rejected with the words "Elephant stitches! Unpick them and do it again!".
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Any proud moments at Hertford?

Post by Katharine »

Wow Annie!! That's some achievement

I was pretty proud of getting Commended for my Needlework my last term. That was an Aran sweater and she'd been known to say she'd never Commend knitting
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965