Soft loo paper

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

seventhirty
2nd Former

Soft loo paper

Post by seventhirty »

Did anyone hear Pippa on Radio4's Saturday live program this morning. They didn't name the school, but it surely must have been CH. She was cut very short, but was speaking about the impact of her speech to get hard loo paper abolished and replaced with soft. I remember the impact, must have been one of Miss Tuckers early changes, circa 1973. I remember Miss T had to take it to the governors for approval. Well done Pippa. I still remember it whenever I go to buy soft loo paper.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Soft loo paper

Post by sejintenej »

I had a problem with a blocked waste pipe (it turned out to be under next door's land) and the older and more experienced plumber asked what brand of loo paper we used. He had a list of those brands which quickly disintegrate and almost never cause a blockage and a list of those which do not disintegrate and are renowned for causing blockages. It is the soft ones which are bad (though some are semi-OK).
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

We always had hard loo paper at home too, Izal, you can still buy it I think , my dad insisted on it- he was very old-school. We just accepted it at the time. It wasn't until about the mid 80's that he was converted to soft! It would be useful to know the soft brands that are least likely to cause blockages.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I think it was Izal at Horsham in the 60's too !

I always remember some wag in Coleridge B, very neatly printed a piece of paper and posted it in the bog.

"THE SCOOL IS CURRENTLY SHORT OF TOILET PAPER. PLEASE USE BOTH SIDES."
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Just as some people collected postage stamps, there was a boy in Col A (who will remain nameless but his name was, from memory, appropriate) who collected loo paper. He even had some which were printed O.H.M.S.

As for fra828's request above, sorry but I don't remember any - just ask your local British Gas plumber
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

sejintenej wrote:Just as some people collected postage stamps, there was a boy in Col A ... who collected loo paper. He even had some which were printed O.H.M.S.
I'd forgotten that until you mentioned it. For those too young to remember: every business, factory and institution would provide its staff loos with paper overprinted with its name, to deter theft. CEB collected samples wherever he went, and he "went" whether he needed to or not.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

J.R. wrote:I think it was Izal at Horsham in the 60's too !
Wasn't it Bronco?
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:
J.R. wrote:I think it was Izal at Horsham in the 60's too !
Wasn't it Bronco?

Yes, maybe !

Certainly made me jump about a bit !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.