favourite comfort food at Hertford

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

fra828
Grecian

favourite comfort food at Hertford

Post by fra828 »

Has anyone got any memories of favourite comfort food that made life bearable at Hertford? Mine are fried bread with marmalade, and chocolate sauce and shortbread aka Thames mud and barges.
Angela Pratt
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: favourite comfort food at Hertford

Post by Angela Pratt »

Oh yes, I remember those! Also not exactly favourite comfort food, but I recall the absolute (rare) breakfast silence by whole school in the dining room as we had our "BANG-BANG EGGS"...Also vegetable pie (mixed veg in mashed potato with tomato sauce) was one of my favourites for "high-tea".
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

I'd forgotten about the veg pie, yes it was good,especially knowing no horrible grisly meat was lurking in it....! What were bang-bang eggs? Can't remember those!
Angela Pratt
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Angela Pratt »

Boiled eggs in old-fashioned CH eggcups.Lightly boiled so had to be de-topped with old blunt teaspoons...
seajayuu
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by seajayuu »

Definitely cheese potato.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

i've never suceeded in making a rice pudding anything as wonderful as we had back then.

The Mon would go to collect the big tin from the kitchen. The anticipation!

Admittedly, there were a few that loved the thick leathery black skin. Meg Gunter, now... absolutely relished it. She'd always send her bowl back for more with a skin request. I can't bear milk skin, but...

Peel back said skin with the big serving spoon, and underneath, there was the hot and heavenly steaming pudding. Cooked in those vast ovens for an incalculable amount of time, the rp was sweet, rich, creamy, virtually pink in its thick blissful concentrated goloptiousness. A spoon could almost stand up in it. Was there condensed milk in it? Ee-vap? Goodness knows, I've tried to replicate it, and failed.

Pudding perfection. Mmm.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I loved the kedgeree, we didn't have it often but it made a wonderful tea. I also enjoyed the veg pie, and convent eggs, mmm I wonder why my comfort foods were tea time ones, eaten in the day room rather than the Dining Hall?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Angela Pratt
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Angela Pratt »

)h yes, the memories these make of kedgeree, skinned rice pudding etc etc. Perhaps we all ought to change our own cooking menus.....
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Angela, I did recently start making kedgeree, having seen a recipe and inspired by my memories of school!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Angela Pratt wrote:Boiled eggs in old-fashioned CH eggcups.Lightly boiled so had to be de-topped with old blunt teaspoons...
"Lightly boiled?" The boiled eggs I remember must have been done for at least a *quarter of an hour. I distinctly remember the sulphurous whiff that accompanied their arrival at the table. It was rather wonderful if one were issued with an egg that hadn't suffered in the boiling... I so disliked the rubbery protrusion of egg white bulging from the crack in the egg.

There was a popular method that made the egg more palatable. This involved shelling the egg, chopping it into small pieces and blending it with the corrugated half-pat of moist, pallid marge on one's side plate. This modified egg mixture could then be coaxed onto the piece of cold leathery white toast from the tin serving dish. I know. :x But it was for the best. :?

The sulphurous whiff! Yes! Regrettably, as if to replace the sanctity of incense, this odour would rise to the rafters of the Chapel one half hour later.

*Half an hour, then. Oh, very well, so they must have been put on at about 0700hrs and then forgotten.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
CRAndersen
2nd Former

Post by CRAndersen »

Thames mud and barges and veg. pie were among my favourites, but NOT the rice pud.
Sago was far more palatable!

Apricot Eve's was another of my favourites. Preferably without custard.

Cheese fish was not exactly a favourite, but when we knew we were going to have fish on Fridays, thsi was the best option. Actually I love fish now!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Welcome to the site, Christine.

The 'Girls' have gone rather quiet of late, so maybe you can prompt some responses.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Welcome Christine, what era were you at Hertford?

Interesting that Thames Mud and Barges, and Veg Pie appear in several choices.

Thames Mud was a wonderful name, I wonder both who first coined it, and how long did it last?