Dining Hall Clock - Christ's Hosplital, Hertford (1879-1985)

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

oggo
2nd Former

Re: Dining Hall Clock - Christ's Hosplital, Hertford (1879-1

Post by oggo »

Hi Katharine

Thank you so much for these links.

I have had a quick look at both links now and there is an amazing amount of historical information on CH so hopefully will be able to use some for my website. Well Done!

Best Wishes

Lee
oggo
2nd Former

Re: Dining Hall Clock - Christ's Hosplital, Hertford (1879-1

Post by oggo »

The photograph that Phyllis Hoffman kindly sent me has opened up a whole new investigation - about where the clock was originally housed.

The black and white Victorian photo dating from c1895 showing the clock in situ without the frieze - made me think/assume that the clock was probably originally gifted in 1879 to Hertford by Mr Willcox.

However the lovely colour photograph that Phyllis sent - showing the clock and frieze together looks to me like the top of the clock case moulding was made to match the top of the frieze moulding - suggesting to me that the clock was originally housed in London?

The frieze was made around c1820 and the clock was made in the latest fashion of the day during 1879 - a totally different period and style - so why would they have made the top moulding of the clock case to match the top moulding of the frieze - unless they were meant to be together?

I suspect that the clock may have originally been gifted to the London School in 1879 by Mr Willcox and spent 15-20 years there before being moved for some reason to Hertford during the late 1890s but this is only based on assumption.

I do not know all the answers but hopefully my on-going investigation will give me the truth.

I have now added the photograph to my website . The picture was taken by Phyllis just before the School closed in 1985 and can be seen on my website page.

http://www.earlyclocks.com/brock-wall-c ... 4581438872