Hertford Art Project

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Jo
Button Grecian

Hertford Art Project

Post by Jo »

A Hertford Old Blue has suggested the idea of us contributing memorabilia from Hertford and having some current pupils make it up into a collage or artwork. There is obviously Hertford stuff in the CH Museum but the idea is that this project would involve current pupils in learning more about Hertford and the significance of the various items contributed, and that the finished product would be displayed somewhere around the school as a "living work" rather than being archived in the museum.

The school is supportive of the idea and I've spoken to the Head of Art, Paul Deller (himself an Old Blue) who is happy to work on the project with a group. We are therefore seeking contributions from Hertford Old Blues. This could be documents, photos, textiles, etc - or if you have larger objects then you could photograph them. Contributions are needed by September 2014, and the intention is that myself and Clorinda (the other Hertford OB on the CHOBA Board) will talk to Paul (and possibly the students) about the items, so they understand a bit about the materials they're working with. The finished artwork should be complete in time for Old Blues Day 2015, when we are hoping it will form part of a commemoration of 30 years since the closure of Hertford.

If you have anything suitable that you are willing to contribute, please send to Margaret at: Margaret Wadman, CHOBA Administrator, The Counting House, Christ’s Hospital School, Horsham, West Sussex, RH13 0YP.
Please mark the envelope/package "Hertford Art Project" so she knows what it is.

Please feel free to shout if you have any questions!

Thanks, Jo
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Jo
Button Grecian

Re: Hertford Art Project

Post by Jo »

Jo wrote:A Hertford Old Blue has suggested the idea of us contributing memorabilia from Hertford and having some current pupils make it up into a collage or artwork. There is obviously Hertford stuff in the CH Museum but the idea is that this project would involve current pupils in learning more about Hertford and the significance of the various items contributed, and that the finished product would be displayed somewhere around the school as a "living work" rather than being archived in the museum.

The school is supportive of the idea and I've spoken to the Head of Art, Paul Deller (himself an Old Blue) who is happy to work on the project with a group. We are therefore seeking contributions from Hertford Old Blues. This could be documents, photos, textiles, etc - or if you have larger objects then you could photograph them. Contributions are needed by September 2014, and the intention is that myself and Clorinda (the other Hertford OB on the CHOBA Board) will talk to Paul (and possibly the students) about the items, so they understand a bit about the materials they're working with. The finished artwork should be complete in time for Old Blues Day 2015, when we are hoping it will form part of a commemoration of 30 years since the closure of Hertford.

If you have anything suitable that you are willing to contribute, please send to Margaret at: Margaret Wadman, CHOBA Administrator, The Counting House, Christ’s Hospital School, Horsham, West Sussex, RH13 0YP.
Please mark the envelope/package "Hertford Art Project" so she knows what it is.

Thanks, Jo
Oh dear, I'm replying to my own posting, but just wanted to remind people about my plea above for contributions to the project. Margaret has received a few artefacts but we still need a lot more!
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Hertford Art Project

Post by J.R. »

Jo wrote:
Jo wrote:A Hertford Old Blue has suggested the idea of us contributing memorabilia from Hertford and having some current pupils make it up into a collage or artwork. There is obviously Hertford stuff in the CH Museum but the idea is that this project would involve current pupils in learning more about Hertford and the significance of the various items contributed, and that the finished product would be displayed somewhere around the school as a "living work" rather than being archived in the museum.

Thanks, Jo
Oh dear, I'm replying to my own posting, but just wanted to remind people about my plea above for contributions to the project. Margaret has received a few artefacts but we still need a lot more!

I can always edit it for you, Jo !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.