End of term

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: End of term

Post by J.R. »

Head lice in schools seems to be ever ongoing.

I can only remember one incident that affected our two girls in their primary school, yet the whole family had to wash their hair TWICE in the most foul smelling shampoo.

The interesting thing is, it was always claimed that children with dirty greasy hair would become infected. The fact is, the cleaner the hair, the more the chance of having to have a good scratch !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Angela Woodford wrote:I remember the dreadful occasion in the LV1, when I, and a few other girls who were deemed overweight, were summoned to the Infirmary, weighed, and had appointments made with Dr Jory.

I had this too.....but because they considered me to be underweight. It continued when I was at Horsham too.

I also have a vague recollection of everyone having to go "up t'inf" at the start of term (or maybe just the start of the school year) and having to strip to our knickers to be "examined" by Dr Jory....
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Vonny wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:I remember the dreadful occasion in the LV1, when I, and a few other girls who were deemed overweight, were summoned to the Infirmary, weighed, and had appointments made with Dr Jory.

I had this too.....but because they considered me to be underweight. It continued when I was at Horsham too.

I also have a vague recollection of everyone having to go "up t'inf" at the start of term (or maybe just the start of the school year) and having to strip to our knickers to be "examined" by Dr Jory....
This certainly happened too in the 60s and 70s, and also regular 'weighing and measuring' in the gym with the P.E staff. Very humiliating.
Twothirtytwo
2nd Former

Post by Twothirtytwo »

Holly Burning. Great tradition. Just looking through all the posts. We in 2s certainly used the fireplaces in the Day Room It was a Big Event, much anticipated at the end of the Christmas term. In 2s we (seniors) also decorated the Day Room one evening about a week before Christmas after the juniors had gone to bed. A big surprise for them in the morning which was always a big excitement. I have fond memories of one particular 'stained glass window' we made (black artist paper with cut outs filled in with coloured tissue paper and then stuck on the windows - became very popular in all the houses) which looked more like Batman than a saint, or whatever it was meant to be.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Twothirtytwo wrote:Holly Burning. Great tradition. Just looking through all the posts. We in 2s certainly used the fireplaces in the Day Room It was a Big Event, much anticipated at the end of the Christmas term. In 2s we (seniors) also decorated the Day Room one evening about a week before Christmas after the juniors had gone to bed. A big surprise for them in the morning which was always a big excitement. I have fond memories of one particular 'stained glass window' we made (black artist paper with cut outs filled in with coloured tissue paper and then stuck on the windows - became very popular in all the houses) which looked more like Batman than a saint, or whatever it was meant to be.
That's bought back memories of a winter term in Horsham, early 1960's. The wonderful art teacher, Nell Todd had volunteers including moi do much the same thing for the very large windows in the art school.

I seem to remember we used black insulating tape for the 'lead', and various coloured sheets of polythene for the 'glass'. The end result was absolutely stunning.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

I remember that a fire was lit in the day room on the last night of each Christmas term in Coleridge A during the nineteen forties for the end of term festivities , the only time that this was done in the year. Presumably when the school was constructed in 1902 fires were more used.
I wonder when the radiators, rather ugly looking edifices I recall, were installed, There were fireplaces in the two tiny day room studies.
There was a practice of occupants burning their names on the inside of the doors with a red hot poker and these were still there until the huge house refurbishment in the fairly recently past.
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

Kit Bartlett wrote:I wonder when the radiators, rather ugly looking edifices I recall, were installed.
I believe they were part of the original 1902 build, whose architecture concealed a plan in the grand Victorian engineering style. The whole school was heated and powered from a boiler house next to the gym and the armoury; hence the tube, and big asbestos-insulated pipes, and, incidentally, the DC electricity supply. That was not a particularly extravagant scheme by the standards of the day, when much of the City of London, and the docks, and Tower Bridge, depended on hydraulic power delivered from one central high-pressure pumping station run by an enterprising company that could aford to install and maintain the necessary vast network of water pipes.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I have just read the very first post on this thread and the song we sang in 2's was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q-iCpanPiU

Which would rise a tone or two over about 6 turns until we were screeching it.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"