Flu in 1957

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

olefours
2nd Former

Flu in 1957

Post by olefours »

Does anyone remember being wrapped in scratchy blankets in bed in the infirmary and being given a powder which was supposed to lower our temperature? It was called a stew. I can't find any reference online to what we might have been given, and would be grateful for any information. It obviously didn't do us much harm if we're still aliiiiii
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Flu in 1957

Post by sejintenej »

That, Sally, I think must have been at Hertford where, we are told, they had their own way of doing things.

As far as I recall, at Horsham we were dumped in any convenient bed and simply left to ferment slowly. I suspect thatwe did have the luxury of sheets but as for the rest it seemed to be a reenactment of WWI military hospitals with lines of patients propped at the regulation angle
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
storyteller
2nd Former

Post by storyteller »

Yes I recall the stews and that flu epidemic. My guess is the powder was some form of aspirin which would have worked.
seajayuu
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by seajayuu »

Yes, I remember "stews". Horrid. But that must have been in the '59 epidemic - I didn't start at CH until Sept '58. I remember that at least 2 Wards were used as convalescence areas. Were we sent home early? Do I remember correctly that we all had to have a clear throat swab before being allowed back the next term? In which case it must have been Strep or 'Flu and Strep.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

That must have been Spring 1959, Chrissy, I don't remember any such epidemic. I started in September 59.

I don't remember much about the infirmary as I was so healthy, I was in the new annexe once in about Upper IV, my first stay in the infirmary main building was when I was in the VI form. Sister told me to go to a particular ward, and I had no idea where it was! Sister took great delight in telling someone much younger than me to show me where it was.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
seajayuu
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by seajayuu »

"Up Tinf" maybe that should go on the Housey slang strand, but - it would probably be lost on them.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

seajayuu wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:44 pm "Up Tinf" maybe that should go on the Housey slang strand, but - it would probably be lost on them.
I have heard this one before, but memory fading. Might have been on this site, or at Horsham mid-sixties.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.