Yellow dresses

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

seajayuu
GE (Great Erasmus)

Yellow dresses

Post by seajayuu »

Does anyone else remember these with total horror? The unflattering style; the sweat protectors; the AWFUL colour (that flattered no-one); the greenflies attracted to the colour in their thousands ...............
Well, I have been sewing scrubs for Harrogate hospital recently. All very fine until this week's delivery of fabric. Yes, it's that colour. I have to brace myself to even look at it, let alone stitch it. Pity the poor souls destined to wear the scrubs - in more ways than just the colour.
However, a good stout Hertford education means that I am well able to stitch a set of scrubs. Be thankful for small mercies!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Yellow dresses

Post by Katharine »

Of course I remember them, Chrissy, how could I forget them? Good for you making the scrubs, presumably not in Moygashel!

I just did a search, we did discuss them when there were more Hertford OGs posting. http://www.chforum.info/php/search.php? ... ow+dresses I was surprised that Frances didn’t remember the greenfly, I did!

Somewhere in there is my memory of attending Horsham Speech Day my brother’s first year, which I think would have been 1953 when the dresses were very new. As I remember it, there was a line of big girls in these yellow dresses at the back of the chapel stalls. Not only did they have the dresses but they were wearing gloves in the summer! I was told that if I was a good girl and worked hard at school I too would have the chance to go to CH. I don’t have any other memories of that day, I was nearly 6 at the time!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I seem to remember my Mother ALWAYS wore gloves and a hat when attending church services. It was considered the correct dress code.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Big Jim
2nd Former

Post by Big Jim »

?
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Big Jim, welcome to the forum.

I don’t know when you were at Horsham, but there was a time when the girls entrusted to the care of the Religious, Royal and Ancient Foundation of Christ’s Hospital were educated in Hertford not Horsham. For some time our Summer Sunday uniform was a yellow dress, the subject of this topic.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
gneuss
2nd Former

Post by gneuss »

I remember the yellow dresses as my sister Paula wore them when she was at Hertford from 1954-61 – I even have a photo of her in one somewhere. Your tale of stitching yellow fabric for scrubs reminds me of her darning skills that she learn at CH. She used to say that they had to darn their knickers until the knickers were more darn than original before they got a new pair.