New Forum Section - Hertford Memories

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

amanda b
2nd Former

Re: New Forum Section - Hertford Memories

Post by amanda b »

Hello, browsing this site for the first time today - interested to see some references to what someone has called the 'darker' side of the school. A few years ago I noticed a letter in the Independent from Charis Dunn (who was a few years senior to me, and in 7's?) who was excoriating about the general culture of the school - and to my mind it was not an unfair assessment.

The recent sex abuse cases have reminded me of the annual 3rd year 'medicals' with Dr Jury (Jory?) with Sister looking on - having one's chests 'examined' whilst stripped to white linings and blues, and then having to turn round and touch your toes. What on earth was that all about!?

Although I have fond memories of a handful of teachers, others I recall as verging on being bullies - and as to the house staff - the less said the better. As to the clothes - as a 10 year old I was horrified to find we wore the same linings for 3-4 days with wearing your own pants seen as a virtual capital offence - difficult to believe it was the 70's.

I spent most of my first year too afraid to tell my family how much I hated it - leaving after O levels was one the best decisions I ever made, and I am eternally grateful to a friend (Steph if you see this - thank you!) who came back that summer term and announced she was leaving, which put the idea in our heads - 5 out of 7 of us went in the end.

Amanda
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Just caught up on your post. Thanks you. It's very enlightening.

Your leaving immediatelt after 'O' levels mirrors my leaving Horsham exactly.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

amanda b wrote:Hello, browsing this site for the first time today - interested to see some references to what someone has called the 'darker' side of the school. A few years ago I noticed a letter in the Independent from Charis Dunn (who was a few years senior to me, and in 7's?) who was excoriating about the general culture of the school - and to my mind it was not an unfair assessment.

The recent sex abuse cases have reminded me of the annual 3rd year 'medicals' with Dr Jury (Jory?) with Sister looking on - having one's chests 'examined' whilst stripped to white linings and blues, and then having to turn round and touch your toes. What on earth was that all about!?

Although I have fond memories of a handful of teachers, others I recall as verging on being bullies - and as to the house staff - the less said the better. As to the clothes - as a 10 year old I was horrified to find we wore the same linings for 3-4 days with wearing your own pants seen as a virtual capital offence - difficult to believe it was the 70's.

I spent most of my first year too afraid to tell my family how much I hated it - leaving after O levels was one the best decisions I ever made, and I am eternally grateful to a friend (Steph if you see this - thank you!) who came back that summer term and announced she was leaving, which put the idea in our heads - 5 out of 7 of us went in the end.

Amanda

Hello Amanda, I was 2years senior to you- and was thinking the exact same thing only recently about those 'medicals'. It wasn't only chests, but other intimate( so-called medical) touching by that doctor which I can clearly remember-44 years on- and it absolutely wasn't right...and it affected me and no doubt others-to start with only subconsciously I think. The following term,( the first term of the 4th year) was a nightmare-I was lost in a whirl of confusion, I became totally and inexplicably obsessed by a member of the teaching staff. I was an incredibly naieve 14 year old, and had a kind of breakdown and ended up having to go home for 2weeks-it still haunts me now.I don't know how more of us didn't crack under that horrible regime. At Hertford we were secluded from the outside world, and it took years-mentally- to join it again.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Yes.

I left CH Hertford in no way equipped to deal with life.

I've written before - Dr Jory, in front of whose desk I stood as some sort of an overweight freak, prescribed thyroxin for me, without any sort of blood tests. A bit slow, was I? Bad at maths? Obvious!

I should have left after my abysmal 'O' Level results, but, with no sort of career advice or encouragement, stuck it into the V1 Form. With Miss Jukes....

The most terrible time for me was going into a Senior House. I's, Junior House, with the crazy Millie was OK, because it was non-personal. She was a bit hideous with every body except one favourite, Sarah Bevan "my little redhead". But it was 6's The Study in the L1V who convinced me that I was no good. Oh... the punishments! I was bottom of the form from then on.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""