New Forum Section - Hertford Memories

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

cj wrote:I was 1:12
I was 2:12 :lol:

I remember Many Happs as well - I think those with the highest house numbers sometimes missed out though.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Vonny wrote:
cj wrote:I was 1:12
I was 2:12 :lol:

I remember Many Happs as well - I think those with the highest house numbers sometimes missed out though.
We did it too, it seems to have been a school wide thing. I think it really swung into action around 21 days.

and ref. midget's commen, did they ever put locks on? I had to hide my Jackie very well for it not to be found.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Locker Searches

Post by Angela Woodford »

Absolutely, Maggie!

I bet that locks never did get put on the lockers -cj? Vonny? I felt it very much that there was nowhere for one's private possessions which couldn't be searched - except the tuck cupboard which was a communal store.

It was the principle of it, because poor old Pot didn't search very much, I don't think - except when she had some "reason". Locker searching was never especially held against her. I have recorded the time when she could hear a radio playing somewhere and behold - it was my packet of Ariel seemingly talking to itself.

There were tidy lockers and untidy lockers. I know that if she'd checked my locker a cascade of stuff would have poured out - there was a technique to opening it - and she'd never be capable of cramming it all back in. Not after an exhausting morning of wandering about talking to herself, possibly cursing DR's interference with her "chuldren" (eee...eee...eee) and after no 25 of her cork-tipped Craven 'A'.

Love, Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
cj
Button Grecian

Re: Locker Searches

Post by cj »

Angela Woodford wrote:I bet that locks never did get put on the lockers -cj? Vonny?
The mere thought of having a lock on a locker, what would you need privacy for? The tuck lockers in 1s at the end of the dayroom were unlocked so consequently after leave days etc stuff would get pinched. We did have tuck lockers at Horsham for a while but the stealing got so out of hand that no-one used them. I think then that seniors would keep things in their cubies, and juniors would use their toyces or their common rooms. I do remember Wizzo lecturing 1s, especially the seniors, about not having food upstairs because of a problem with ants. And in fact the tuck lockers always seemed to play host to silverfish. I have never seen them (silverfish) anywhere else apart from Hertford. Odd little things. I had a lovely tuck tin - round with green and white stripes and a green lid. I wish I'd kept it now, it would have made a lovely cake tin in my green and cream kitchen.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Back to Locker Birthdays - if someone was leaving didn't you have to say Happy Birthday not Many Happs? As I was 6.14 it was just two weeks, again usually noted unlike poor Mary at 37! (She was the first 37 we ever had)
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Locker Searches

Post by englishangel »

cj wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:I bet that locks never did get put on the lockers -cj? Vonny?
The mere thought of having a lock on a locker, what would you need privacy for? The tuck lockers in 1s at the end of the dayroom were unlocked so consequently after leave days etc stuff would get pinched. We did have tuck lockers at Horsham for a while but the stealing got so out of hand that no-one used them. I think then that seniors would keep things in their cubies, and juniors would use their toyces or their common rooms. I do remember Wizzo lecturing 1s, especially the seniors, about not having food upstairs because of a problem with ants. And in fact the tuck lockers always seemed to play host to silverfish. I have never seen them (silverfish) anywhere else apart from Hertford. Odd little things. I had a lovely tuck tin - round with green and white stripes and a green lid. I wish I'd kept it now, it would have made a lovely cake tin in my green and cream kitchen.
Silverfish live where it is damp (I used to find them in my bathroom occasionally before I had a nice new one put in) so what the **** were they doing in the tuck cupboard.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Silver fish will also live where there is stale food !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

silverfish

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

I seem to remember studying silverfish with Mrs Lewis (biology teacher) .

These stale food junkies and nuisances are actually a pre-historic wonder literally "in a class of their own" if I remember rightly (it was a long time ago and I haven't checked on the net.)

I seem to recall that they inhabit damp cupboards because of their primitive respiratory system which requires a bit of H2O.........my contempt turned to respect after I learned about them and now I'm seriously worried for their survival....what with central heating,new kitchens etc

This could all be complete fantasy......but I don't think so.

SAVE THE SILVERFISH !!

MANY HAPPS EVERYONE !! ( I was 6:17 ....a wonderful milestone towards freedom)
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Silverfish

The main colony of silverfish lived in the cupboard in the House kitchen; that cupboard where fruit lived in shoe boxes and the UV upwards kept their evening drink making stuff - lucky things! I remember seeing the weird little silverfish scuttling about and disappearing in the crevices.

Many Happs Alex!!!

(Is it seventeen days before something exciting? Maybe...)

Love, Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Silverfish

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Alex and Munch

in the days when I used to feed a "complete dog food" (which resembled a muesli mix) I did find silverfish a couple of times as I got towards the end of the bag.

Something in my mind - rightly or wrongly - links them to stale or spoiled food and I threw the rest of the bag away.

But rest assured that silverfish were alive and well in parts of North Yorkshire at least comparatively recently.

If they need H2O to survive their numbers should be having a boost right now anyway. Plenty of the stuff around.

Many Happs to you all by the way.

Love
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I thought you meant the cupboard at the end of the dayroom Munch, they certainly like sugars and stuff but it is the damp they need. I seem to remember the ancient thing too, the oldest multi-celled organism on the planet but I couldn't find it on the net either, everything was geared towards getting rid of them.

Not sure I am going with you Alex to save them though.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish
If you like prehistoric creatures then here's a link. There's a fair few on the forum too ... *dodges flying projectiles lobbed in my direction*

Our term ends on July 20th, so "Many Happs" today to all house numbers 14 !! Image
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

cj wrote:Our term ends on July 20th, so "Many Happs" today to all house numbers 14 !! Image
Thank you Cath!!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

What's Your Number?

Think the Forum would be able to record locker birthdays for Hertford girls?

Many Happs, Katharine!

Although, as a follower of the Deputy Grecian 2007 thread, it sounds as if these days they don't long for the holidays the way we used to -

Amazing to think of finding romance at CH, and therefore finding the holidays long...

How things change - Munch
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: What's Your Number?

Post by englishangel »

Angela Woodford wrote:Think the Forum would be able to record locker birthdays for Hertford girls?

Many Happs, Katharine!

Although, as a follower of the Deputy Grecian 2007 thread, it sounds as if these days they don't long for the holidays the way we used to -

Amazing to think of finding romance at CH, and therefore finding the holidays long...

How things change - Munch
I think that might be a one-off.