CH food

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Re: CH food

Post by Fjgrogan »

I thought that fried bread was crunchier with as little fat at possible. Certainly my husband has never deep fried it - I won't have a deep frier in the house! I do remember marmalade on fried bread but also on kippers.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:
Vonny wrote:
J.R. wrote:At Horsham, I used to find that the Cheese and Potato pie, sometimes serverd at tea-time was greatly improved with a great big dollop of strawberry jam on top.

I still occasionally enjoy this treat today.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone else remember not bothering with a knife when spreading butter on toast and just using the block to spread it :lol:
Vonny: we had those tiny pats of marge so any spreading had to be with a knife.
I don't remember JR's Cheese & Potato pie (sounds too good to be real) but I did enjoy some marmalade in my sausage. Made it seem edible and overcame the fat in which it was dripping.

WOW - YES !!

I'd completely forgotten marmalade on sausages ! It was popular on the Coleridge B table
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Saturday Lunch Revisited!

Post by Angela Woodford »

Euterpe13 wrote:for the sausage hot-pot ( in my days served at lunch), of course I use english bangers ( lovingly transported here by my Ma), but perhaps she is being too " up-market"... will try to get some greasier ones and try again ( for those who DON'T know, basic ingredients were bangers, tinned tomatoes, macaroni and I add a some chopped onions - the sort of meal that sticks to your ribs and lets you know you've eaten !)
Just to remind me of the SHP served every other Saturday, there is a version of it, interpreted by chef Angela Hartnett, in the food page of today's Guardian. Sausage Hotpot lives on!

This recipe uses kidney beans instead of the CH blobby macoroni, and seems curiously boring... did the CH version have a dried out and indigestible potato hotpotty topping? Plus, the skins of the sausages used to lurk about in the mixture as a sort of separate entity. A bit like finding a used..... no, no I won't say that.

Those sausages were limp, pale and anaemic. Mostly "cereal filler" I suspect, but even so, the memory of them is vivid!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

I loved sausage hotpot, but don't think this recipe is quite right. I'll accept kidney beans in place of the macaroni, but potatoes on top (with crunchy bits) are essential.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

I don't remember any topping on the sausage 'hotpot', but weren't there a lot of tinned tomatoes in it ? Yes those anaemic sausages.. we used to giggle about what they reminded us of! :lol: It wasn't an unpleasant meal until we thought of that ..Somehow I connect this meal with Wednesdays. Tuesdays always seemed to be pie day, the veg pie was the best as the meat in the other pies was often grisly...yukk! Even now I can only eat really lean meat, completely put off if it's a bit tough. Give me veg any day!
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

fra828 wrote:I don't remember any topping on the sausage 'hotpot', but weren't there a lot of tinned tomatoes in it ? Yes those anaemic sausages.. we used to giggle about what they reminded us of! :lol: It wasn't an unpleasant meal until we thought of that ..Somehow I connect this meal with Wednesdays. Tuesdays always seemed to be pie day, the veg pie was the best as the meat in the other pies was often grisly...yukk! Even now I can only eat really lean meat, completely put off if it's a bit tough. Give me veg any day!
Then you would have been happy at Horsham in the 1970s when, no doubt to save money, meat was largely replaced by textured soya protein or 'kesp'. Used elsewhere as an extender, the Horsham model was kesp instead of any meat, ie curried kesp, kesp and vegetable pie etc. It even came in more than one 'flavour', ie whitish to represent chicken and brownish to represent beef. It was tasteless and textureless; Horsham food was universally absysmal then but this was the absolute pits and I cannot eat any sort of meat substitute to this day. Who would have thought that some thirty years plus after the event it would still have the power to evoke such loathing?
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

MKM wrote:I loved sausage hotpot, but don't think this recipe is quite right. I'll accept kidney beans in place of the macaroni, but potatoes on top (with crunchy bits) are essential.

I loved sausage hotpot ,too, Mary ( Hi Mary xx). Jacquie Tomlinson ( 3s same time as we were in Sixes ) told me fairly recently that she still makes it, but discovered by experimentation that it needs to include cheap sausages ( not superior ones) in order to get the right, greasy effect. YUM !!
Angela Pratt 56-63
Deputy Grecian

Post by Angela Pratt 56-63 »

Oh yes this has aroused memories of the sausage hotpot....yummy - one of the most popular dishes in my time. I can remember bgeing suprised when I started as I'd never heard or imagined sausage hotpot. Has anyone now remembered the recipe?
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Why can't I remember sausage hotpot?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Katharine - it's the galloping senility, dear! I've had it for years! Today I thought I would make a healthy meal using up leftovers. I sliced and dry-fried mushrooms, topped them with boiled and mashed sweet potato and butternut squash in a small casserole dish, topped with grated cheese and browned under the grill. When the cheese was sizzling I took out the dish, dropped it on the quarry-tiled floor and smashed it! The only piece I managed to salvage was the cheese topping which I ate very carefully spitting out a few glass splinters. Anyway it got rid of the leftovers - and a casserole dish. Perhaps I should have stuck to sausage hotpot, but it didn't seem worth the effort just for me (Husband is in Finland being Grandad.)
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Thanks.
Just as I read this I noticed the smell of freshly burned food was beginning to fill the flat. Dashed downstairs and rescued it before my wife returns.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)