CH food

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

AKAP wrote:What's the distance lernign course on then (sorry I couldn't resist it).
Mudwofery. (sorry couldn't resist it) :oops:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I thought it was just like shelling peas ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

thought you were already a mudwofe ?
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:thought you were already a mudwofe ?
I am but have been away for over 5 years so have to 'refresh'. was too long and complicated to explain.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

englishangel wrote:
I am but have been away for over 5 years so have to 'refresh'. was too long and complicated to explain.
ummm - surely the bits and pieces haven't changed much in the last, oh , 10.000 years ? Or do you have to follow a " sensitivity" course, so that you don't make any inappropriate or non-PC comments in the execution of your duty ( think M.P./Life of Brian)....

More plausibly, a way to make you shell out cash for something you probably don't need !
B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:
englishangel wrote:
ummm - surely the bits and pieces haven't changed much in the last, oh , 10.000 years ? Or do you have to follow a " sensitivity" course, so that you don't make any inappropriate or non-PC comments in the execution of your duty ( think M.P./Life of Brian)....

More plausibly, a way to make you shell out cash for something you probably don't need !
B.
The bits and piecs don't change but the technology does, and you are right about the PC thing. The main thing though us the research, we don't now do it from'gut' feeling , although many of the 'old midwvies tales' are correct.

Also I get a bursary ro do it but it is not much, hence I am having to work at the same time.
Alex vS
2nd Former

Geography

Post by Alex vS »

Anyway, going back to the thread....

Who did the Bushmen of the Kalahari? Vonny might know - seems to have been a standard topic.

Was that Geography? I don't remember it being Miss Wilson going on about them and I'm pretty sure it was a classroom in the main block. Can't think of what class they would be in - History? Always think of them whenever I see anything on Africa.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Re: Geography

Post by Vonny »

Alex vS wrote:Anyway, going back to the thread....

Who did the Bushmen of the Kalahari? Vonny might know - seems to have been a standard topic.

Was that Geography? I don't remember it being Miss Wilson going on about them and I'm pretty sure it was a classroom in the main block. Can't think of what class they would be in - History? Always think of them whenever I see anything on Africa.
I do remember the Bushmen of the Kalahari :lol: No idea what subject it was taught in though or by whom?! :?
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Alex vS
2nd Former

Bushmen of the Kalahari

Post by Alex vS »

It's coming back to me slowly - I think it was an Irish teacher....She had a whole load of other topics along these lines but I can't remember them. It might have been RE which seems odd now but that is what rings a bell, because it seemed odd then too, to be learning about other cultures in a religious school in an RE lesson.
Jude
Button Grecian

Re: Geography

Post by Jude »

Vonny wrote:
Alex vS wrote:Anyway, going back to the thread....

I do remember the Bushmen of the Kalahari :lol: No idea what subject it was taught in though or by whom?! :?
I'm getting feelings of Deja vue here - we all learnt about Oxbow lakes, interlocking spurs, cookery, and Bushman of the Kalahari - yet we are disparate in age - I'm sure the bushmen were in History (or Historty as my daughter put on the banner we took to Murrayfield for the end of Live8.... well she is a dyslexic!)

I get the feeling that although we are all of different ages, everyone who is anyone who went to Hertford got the same education - literally! they must only have had a 2 year course in all subjects!

Why is it so many CH girls went into nursing as well??? Is it because we were all so institionalised by the end of our time at CH, we had to bo into another?? At least I was a nurse before they brought in the nuring 2000 crap - and Matrons really were Matrons..... :P
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Vonny
Button Grecian

Re: Bushmen of the Kalahari

Post by Vonny »

Alex vS wrote:It's coming back to me slowly - I think it was an Irish teacher....She had a whole load of other topics along these lines but I can't remember them. It might have been RE which seems odd now but that is what rings a bell, because it seemed odd then too, to be learning about other cultures in a religious school in an RE lesson.
Oh yes - I know who you mean - Miss Champion!!! :lol:
Alex vS
2nd Former

Bushmen of the Kalahari

Post by Alex vS »

Yes!!! Miss Champion!

and Jude - I went into Engineering which I think was a reaction to not enough boys! Ended up as one of 5 girls on a mech eng degree course of 80 - ha, ha!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Miss Champion, curly red hair and a turned up nose? Terrible handwriting?

She was my form mistress in my first year 1965/66 and left at the end of that year. I thought she had left to get married, obviously not.

At the end of that year she had written "Mary should take more care with her handwriting" I had (and still have) large easy to read hand-writing, hers was totally illegible, I had to translate it for my parents.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote:Miss Champion, curly red hair and a turned up nose? Terrible handwriting?

She was my form mistress in my first year 1965/66 and left at the end of that year. I thought she had left to get married, obviously not.

At the end of that year she had written "Mary should take more care with her handwriting" I had (and still have) large easy to read hand-writing, hers was totally illegible, I had to translate it for my parents.
She was definitely still a "Miss" in the 80's. And yes - now you mention it, her handwriting was bad!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Bushmen of the Kalahari

Post by englishangel »

Alex vS wrote:Yes!!! Miss Champion!

and Jude - I went into Engineering which I think was a reaction to not enough boys! Ended up as one of 5 girls on a mech eng degree course of 80 - ha, ha!
Why is it so many CH girls went into nursing as well??? Is it because we were all so institionalised by the end of our time at CH, we had to bo into another?? At least I was a nurse before they brought in the nuring 2000 crap - and Matrons really were Matrons.....
I think I might have been an engineer but I was determined to be a doctor and didn't get very good careers advice. I ended up at Aston, which in 1972 was very biased towards engineering and had 7 men to every woman. (Thanks clearing) I did Biology and Chemistry but all my mates were engineers. I married one of them and did nursing because I thought it was something I would be able to do wherever he went.