CH food

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

englishangel wrote:Mudwofery. (sorry couldn't resist it) :oops:
My wife is also a mudwife, the boys used to take great delight in refering to her as a "Sprog hauler" when they were younger.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

AKAP wrote:
englishangel wrote:Mudwofery. (sorry couldn't resist it) :oops:
My wife is also a mudwife, the boys used to take great delight in refering to her as a "Sprog hauler" when they were younger.
Mine have said 'baby catcher' but 'SPROG HAULER'!!

I once appeared on a TV quiz show and told the host I had a delivery job.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

When I was nursing I did my 18 wks on Maternity - my first assisted delivery was twins - ahhhhhh I couldn't stop crying!

My second was really sad - Edwards syndrome (elf like face) what I couldn't get hold of was the parent in laws - they were blaming each other for the problem!! The noise they made was terrible - no wonder the new parents couldn't come to terms with it all - they left the baby in scbu and I suspect got divorced as they also were blaming the other....
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My first baby while nurse training had severe spina bifida. In those days half a dozen med students watching and the Mum could tell by their faces that there was a problem
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

you just can't keep a straight face - we tried so hard with the Edwards Syndrome one - but you could see the broken legs and arms....

ho hum.. now I'm glum :cry:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

It is actually stuff like that that made me want to be a midwife, easy stuff was easy, it is the difficult stuff that makes it worthwhile.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I can understand that - Sarah wants to become a Forensic Pathologist - it only requires 7 years at Med school, followed by 4 more years doing the path bit..... if I'm lucky I will be able to give her her cat back when she's 31!!! And stop financing her!!!
WildOne
3rd Former

Exams

Post by WildOne »

How well I remember practising all those red dots for towns and blue lines for rivers on blank country outlines just before the dreaded geography exams. And I can still draw the formation of those wretched oxbow lakes! LOL

But to be fair, one of the good things that CH left me with was a total lack of exam-nerves. (well, almost...) With 'mocks' every Christmas and then end-of-year exams right from the first year, we were so used to doing last minute exam revision and writing super-fast in the actual exams that our exam technique was superb. To this day, I have never been overly worried prior to an exam, can happily learn a year's work in 48 hours, and have never failed to pass any written test, (purely through exam-technique).

When I see the lack of technique and the terror suffered by GCSE students today, and hear that they have only ever done one mock exam in their entire lives, I feel a certain gratitude that when my O-levels came along, they were the 10th time I had prepared to do a full set of exams.

4.24 1965-1970
WildOne
3rd Former

oops

Post by WildOne »

oops...

The posting above was a reply to the end of page 1 in this thread... I didn't notice there were three more pages! Duh! Sorry...

And I just remembereed this thread was about food originally, LOL, so I guess we are well off-topic now.
WildOne
3rd Former

why so many nurses?

Post by WildOne »

Someone asked earlier "Why so many nurses?".

I remember the careers advice I got at CH, that girls were best suited to becoming Nurses, Secretaries or Teachers. That was it!

So I guess many girls took the advice they were given.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: why so many nurses?

Post by Katharine »

WildOne wrote:I remember the careers advice I got at CH, that girls were best suited to becoming Nurses, Secretaries or Teachers. That was it!
If you got that you got far more than I ever did!!! I was pretty good at Maths & Physics. In Upper IV I got 94% in Physics when the whole of the rest of the class failed. DR came to tell the class that the O level options had changed. She said, 'Katharine you are doing Physics, now the rest of you have a choice between Physics and History'. You can imagine my reaction - I wanted to do History!!!

It was just assumed that because I was academic I would go on to do Oxbridge for Maths &/ or Physics, and then it would be up to me. I did get to Oxford, then shock horror everyone else I met had also been top of the class at maths. I had never had any real competition and had never learnt how to work. Some learn it at school but I certainly didn't.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: CH food

Post by englishangel »

Jude wrote:
englishangel wrote:
Euterpe13 wrote: since I have been out of UK since the Ice Age, can you explain why ?

ta muchly
B
The titles show an overhead shot of East London with the Millennium Dome in the curve of the Thames. Another few thousand years and there will be an oxbow lake there and the Thames will run straight across south of the Dome. Providing global warming doesn't get there first.
Angel - you and your Oxbow lakes!! you make me laugh so much!!!! but those who come after us know little or nothing of interlocking spurs, silt deposits (which help to make up your Oxbow lakes) and other geographical terminonlogy - I sometimes wonder if it was all Miss Wilson knew - Everytime I drive up to the Lake District or Scotland I yell out oy kids look at those interlocking spurs, and that valley was created by the intense dragging of boulders in the ice age - in fact they even know that the valley we live in has been created by interlocking spurs and no doubt a dried out Oxbow lake - : we live in the 5 valleys of Gloucestershire - and like living in any valley we get lots of extra rummbling of thunder storms due to them getting stuck down here!! :lol:
I found this today, I thought it might make you guys smile.

http://mbgnet.mobot.org/fresh/lakes/oxbow.htm
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Angela Marsh (sixes 1964-70-ish) was a hilariously funny person !

She wrote a poem which incorporated all of Miss Wilson's geographical terminology and was witty and brilliant.

The first lines went something like

I wish I were
a little spur
Glistening in the blue
Or else I'd be
a pile of scree
Of every shade and hue

the last lines were something like

And climb up to the mountain top
and down the Esker later

(escalator...get it!)

I'd love to still have a copy of it!

I last saw Angela about 16 years ago.
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

angela

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Alex

How strange that we should post within minutes of one another, in fact if I hadn't been so hesitant - wanting to be sure that my furst contribbution wos neet, weel spelled and garammatically correkt - I could maybe have pipped you.
I remember Angela and her poetry well, she got me doing it too. Her nickname was Munch and she had amazing hair.
I was very in awe of the senior girls though maybe not Angela so much as she was not so very much senior.
They seemed to divide into two types....
Broad, brawny, hirsute, muscular and terrifying
and
Extraordinarily beautiful, multi-talented goddesses (equally terrifying)

Liz (briefly 6's from '66 to '68 and terrified quite a lot of the time....)
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

...they were all sorts, Liz....

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

....and you were one of them or would have been if you'd stayed a bit longer! Now which of your categories would YOU have been ? :wink:

My memories of you Liz ...loads of freckles, loads of imagination,brilliant writer/story teller,fun and well,loads of freckles ( deceptively shy and quiet but not when we got to know you ! ).