Ashbourne

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

WildOne
3rd Former

Post by WildOne »

Hey Jude, is that prescribed as in 'advised', or prescribed as in 'the NHS will pay for it'?

I've thought for years that the local gym should be prescribed on the NHS as an alternative to some medications for some people.

Gaye
4.24 1965-1970
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

WildOne wrote:Hey Jude, is that prescribed as in 'advised', or prescribed as in 'the NHS will pay for it'?

I've thought for years that the local gym should be prescribed on the NHS as an alternative to some medications for some people.

Gaye
4.24 1965-1970
My eldest works on environmental projects in Sheffield. They now have the contract for
"gardens on prescription"
and will be helping people to start and maintain their gardens folowing a prescription from their GP.
I think it's an exciting idea.
Jude
Button Grecian

Prescribed!

Post by Jude »

The GP actually "prescribed" the 12 week course - it's a "new" thing to help people who are depressed, have high blood pressure (although if I did it would be even higher going to the gym!) and a variety of other things (including loosing weight) - I was put down to "life my mood" and "de- stress" me..... Hmmmm!! There is a cost - but it's nothing like the membership cost for a gym - £6.60 for the 2 x 1hr sessions with the gym guy (specially for the "referred patients") and then it's either £2 per week or £2 per time I go. I can also go swimming for that, so all round it's a good deal. But it hurts! I have a pretty ad back (nursing the old fashioned way) and my lower 4 lumbar are badly compressed, plus I have 2 others that are rotated and out of alinment so finding something in a gym that doesn't make my back worse is hard. I don't think I will be on the rowing machine again for a bit as my hips got cramp, and I couldn't bend forwards enough to get my feet out the pedal thingys! :oops: :oops:
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Jude, have you tried chiropractic?

My whole spine was out of alignment, I had narrowed disc spaces and I couldn't even bend to touch my knees let alone my feet.

It took about 3 months, and then I went once a month for a year but I am now painfree.

This predated my nurse training, in fact I had done it at christmas in Upper sixth although I only realised that 10 years later. I was treated at Hertford Hosp for 3 months for hip pain (sciatica of course).

I eventually got sorted in the US 20 years later when I was virtually suicidal from the pain.

When we returned to UK I was agency nursing, nights on spinal unit at Stoke Mandeville and took my x-rays in one night. they were seen (accidentally) by one of the consultants who asked who had operated on me as I was clearly fine. He sadi he had never believed in chiro but he had to now didn't he.

I know you have other health problems as well but it may be worth investigating.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Hi Mary - why did you change your picture???!

Have been to Chiro - it cost me 4 weeks in hospital !! I'd been seeing a McTimothy Chiropractor in Nailsworth for over 2 years, and every week she had to reset my pelvis and most of my back..... then one day she triggered something which caused ALL the muscles (for those who are not up on their medical stuff - you have longitudunal muscles and horizontal muscles - normally only one set contracts at a time.......) to contract at once and together....I couldn't move and with each spasm was being forced by them into some amazing positions - the ambulance came, gave me entonox and I died!! ( well went into respiratory arrest, and my heart stared to slow down!!) After 2½minutes they realised I wasn't breathing so had to resuss me.. I wear a medic alert now for all the wonderful things that are wrong and I'm allergic to!! after 10 days at home (GRH refused to take me in as it was "soft tissue damage" and not a bone........ ) where a GP would come in every 4 hrs to give me a im (in my bottocks!) shot of pethadine (didn't touch the pain) and morphine.... i combined it with brandy and cola (I HATE Brandy) and cannabis just to try and get the muscles to stop going into spasm... Once I was in hospital they Iv'd me with loads of drugs for near on a week, then I had the task of relearning how to walk... came home just in time for Xmas with a Zimmer frame.

I certainly agree about being suicidal in pain - took an OD 2004 - hospitalised for 4 days...

so tally ho! Off to the gym at 1pm!
Last edited by Jude on Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Sorry about that. It worked for me.

MY worst moment was when the twins were just a year old and I seized up completely, not a good time to be incapacitated. My husband had to drag me by the feet to get me out of the bathroom where I was jammed between the bath and the washbasin.

I changed my picture to one that more closely matches what I am actually like, as I don't spend my life with a glass in my hand or flashing my stocking tops.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I sneezed on the loo when Chris was 2½..... he had to phone the doctor who came - chris had to stand on a chair to unlock the door!!! after a shot I was put to bed, and Chris was told to look after me - he delved into the fridge and found cola and chocolate - that was our dinner for the day!!!!!!

Bless!!!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I sneezed putting on my tights when I was pregnant with my first. It was a Saturday and my husband was doing year-end tax thing at work, I had to crawl to the phone, and pull it off the wall and get him to come home.

He always thinks it is hilarious that a sneeze can put it out.

Later in the same pregnancy we were on a gite in France and it went. As I was the driver (he had passed his test the day before we went) we had to get the insurance to take us home.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

ouch!
It's amazing how powerful a sneeze can be!! If I am ever on the loo with a cold sneezing absolutely terrifies me...

Come September I could be really stuck - as the kids have been my carer for the times I have been ill - if Saz gets into med school -(1st choice Edinburgh, 2nd Glasgow..... is she telling me something????!!) and Chris hopefully moving into his own house in May in Cirencester, I shall be devoid of carers -

I am only up this early as the en-suite is being converted into a wet room, so I have no shower, toilet or en-suite really - it also means getting up early every day to let the workmen in, so I am already knackered as I haven't been sleeing well to begin with, and as it's my en-suite I can hardly go back to bed!!! :oops: :oops:

it must be old age catching up with me! :?

I fell asleep in the chair yesterday... :oops: :oops:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My husband falls asleep on the train, and starts snoring at the stop before home which wakes him up to get off.

Elsewhere I have said that I fell asleep at a Royal Institution lecture and an Alice Cooper concert.

Nothing to do with age.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Mary - how in the **** could you fall asleep atan Alice Cooper concer?????? I am now having such a laugh am nearly falling of the chair here!!

I just get so incredibly tired that I can fall asleep - the train is wonderful for that - while I was commuting from here to London to work, I would catch the 0630 to London. sleep up to London (well it was a terminal and my friends would wake me up) but didn't dare fall asleep on the home run, especially if I had missed the 6.30pm train - (by then I was totally knackerd, as the next train after 1830 was 2000hrs..... which got me home about 2200hrs..... I have slept twice, and ended up haveing to get a taxi from Gloucester back home to stonehouse!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Jude wrote:Mary - how in the **** could you fall asleep atan Alice Cooper concer?????? I am now having such a laugh am nearly falling of the chair here!!
I was very tired.

I had bought 2 tickets, for me and my son (16 at the time). the he had a friend who wanted to go, so they emded up sitting together and I sat on my own. the audience was very eclectic, from young goth types (son and friend) to late 40 ish types who had been fans at aschool (me) to older people who had been fans at Uni.

There was one amazing lady, 60 if she was a day, very petite, in very pretty goth type gear.

I was sitting with half a dozen middle aged school teacher types in rugby shirts. we weren't junping up and down so I fell asleep, only for a few minutes and the roar that greeted the guillotine woke me up. a bit of a surrealist awakening.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

sounds like it!!!!!

well I didn't have a chance to fall asleep at Hyde Park this summer - I was in far too much pain from standing and sittong on grass, and as we were lucky enough to be very near the front..... it was far too loud for me to sleep - I think I had 8 hours sleep in 3 days - spent a good 24 hours in Hyde park for the Live 8 concert..... and then 4 days later went to Edinburgh for the end of live 8 concert..... via Newcastle where my foster mam lives.... after the concert I did manage about 4 hours in the car with Sarah - (daughter), and finally when we got to my friends in Glasgow she slept for an entire day (the day of the London bombings - 7th July) I was too strung out on caffiene and lack of sleep, so it took me another 24 hours before I could sleep!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

englishangel wrote:I changed my picture to one that more closely matches what I am actually like, as I don't spend my life with a glass in my hand or flashing my stocking tops.
You've just ruined my day! :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

sorry