Christmas and (Crawling to) HouseParents

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

stellavision
2nd Former

Christmas and (Crawling to) HouseParents

Post by stellavision »

Hi - a bit of advice needed for a newby parent of a 2nd Former - what is the etiquette on buying Christmas (or for that matter Summer as well!) Thank You Gifts for the Houseparents / Matrons .......? on the one had I'm frightfully skint but on the other I feel that I ought to ingratiate myself a little with the people who care for my child ....... at primary school a bottle of plonk was considered the norm :drinkers: what does anyyone think?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Christmas and (Crawling to) HouseParents

Post by J.R. »

Rather a awkward question, given that house-parents or relatives thereof read and post on here.

I would have thought just a lovely Christmas Card bearing thanks and good wishes would go far.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

J.R. wrote:I would have thought just a lovely Christmas Card bearing thanks and good wishes would go far.
I agree.

There's a first time for everything! :D
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

We used to get chocolates and bottles of wine etc - but by far the best were the small hand-made gifts we received from some of the parents, and,of course, the personal messages.

I doubt if anyone would expect you to be buying presents though - it is by no means "the norm" , so don`t feel you have to!
If you can just spare a couple of minutes to wish your child`s Houseparents a Happy Christmas, that wil be more than enough!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
stellavision
2nd Former

Post by stellavision »

Thanks all for your advice, that does take the pressure off somewhat! I shall don my pinny .... and if there is anything chocolatey left in this house by the 13th, I'll take it in.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My daughter is making goodies for all her Uni friends, she has become known as a bit of a baking queen. She has bought her own muffin pan, and has asked for a baking sheet for her cookie making for a Christmas present.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Hello -

a bit of a late reply but we hand over a bottle of wine for the House staff (I know our Housemaster plays fair & shares the largesse around) and something small (smellies/chocs etc) for the Matrons. It's a job of long hours and hard work and certainly in our House they do a sterling job so I like to show my/our appreciation.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

A very late reply here...

I know when my parents were houseparents, they used to get a large number of presents, from bottles of whiskey to choclates to homemade chutneys and once, a brace of pheasants! :-)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99