Do parents know about this forum?

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Do parents know about this forum?

Post by Ajarn Philip »

I started off posting this in response to KenHo's recent post about transport, but I thought it was relevant to the whole Parents section/forum, rather than one thread.

How many current parents are members of this forum? Not many, in relative terms. More seem to have joined since this (excellent) section started, and it does seem to be proving very useful in many different ways. But it would be even more useful if more parents were using it. How did you parents find the site? Is the school informing current and new parents of its existence? If not, why not? It's not just a source of useful information, but a means of getting together to discuss, and hopefully solve, mutual problems.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Re: Do parents know about this forum?

Post by lonelymom »

I've often thought that parents should be informed of this site. It really is so useful, and, as you say, this thread is proving to be particulary helpful for present and future parents. Hopefully we can resolve KenHo's transport issue, which will make his son's start in September less stressful for the family.

I didn't know this site existed until someone told me about it (my mum, actually :D). I found it very comforting as a new parent a few years ago, and it was wonderful to be able to speak to other parents about their experiences (and of course meet the lovely MrsC). I always assumed there was a reason the school didn't 'advertise' this site, and I thought maybe there was a clue in the name, ie The UNOFFICIAL Christ's Hospital Forum - I thought maybe there were certain people within the school that didn't want the school linked with this site? :?:
lonelymom :rolleyes:
KenHo
3rd Former

Post by KenHo »

lonelymom wrote:which will make his son's start in September less stressful for the family.
I should start by saying that I don't find any aspect of this even slightly stressful and my son isn't the sort that will either. My search for transport solutions is based on me not wanting to find, perhaps in 7 years time, that there have been two other parents from the next street driving up and down the M1 every 3 weeks. The stress of having spent that much money when I needn't have, might just be enough to kill me.

I came across this site when thinking about applying, in order that I could find out those things that schools don't want to tell you. I have done the same thing with most other schools we have considered, including local state schools. I expected the find the odd dark secret, but found very little. There is the odd reference to bullying, which is then properly resolved, and there is the suggestion that the school might be heading towards being too academic. I can't see why any of this would put anyone off, nor bring the school into disrepute, so I can't see how they might have any objection to pointing new parents at it. If it was to be popular then the owners of the site might have a different view as it might slant the whole forum in another direction.
Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Post by Momto2 »

I agree with lonelymum - I've actually had one child at CH for 4 years and one for 2 years but it was only really Huggermugger's original post that prompted me to come out of the woodwork as I assumed that most members were Old Blues.

Again, I found the site by googling and I do think it would be very useful for new/existing parents to be aware of this site.

This was my first post on here back in 2007. Since then we have been given our own part of the forum which is great as the posts used to get a bit lost in the general CH forum.

I have pointed quite a few people over here in my time and I'm sure a lot of parents do lurk. We do also have a couple of teachers/CH staff here which is very helpful.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

KenHo wrote:
lonelymom wrote:which will make his son's start in September less stressful for the family.
I should start by saying that I don't find any aspect of this even slightly stressful and my son isn't the sort that will either.

I was referring to the stress you might feel in September really, not any stress you might feel now while you're trying to work out travel arrangements. And I was kind of thinking back to how stressful I found the whole thing when my daughter started, and I didn't even have travel issues to contend with!! I felt exremely lonely (hence my username) when my daughter went, even though I still had my husband and another daughter at home, I worried about how she was settling in, if she was happy, if she was making friends, if she was missing us too much, if she had everything she needed, loads of things, and I found it very hard. If I'd had other problems to deal with, such as travel, I think I might have cracked up!!! Which is what I was trying to say to Ajarn, 'yes' I think new/prospective parents should be pointed in the direction of this site, then if they have any questions we can all try to help them and hopefully it will make their transition into CH in September easier.
fbannabel
2nd Former

Post by fbannabel »

Thought I would say that I have just recently 'stumbled' across this website which looks very useful and quite fun to read some of the stuff.

My son joined Maine B in September and this will be a nice way to pick up tips and give advice as well!

Fbannabel :D
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Hi fbannabel :D

I'm guessing that some of the unregistered people who use this forum (the 'lurkers') are new/prospective parents. Hopefully this thread will encourage them to join in.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Lonelymom wrote
I always assumed there was a reason the school didn't 'advertise' this site, and I thought maybe there was a clue in the name, ie The UNOFFICIAL Christ's Hospital Forum - I thought maybe there were certain people within the school that didn't want the school linked with this site?
Maybe you're right Lonelymom; in which case, it would be good to see the school create an OFFICIAL forum! I know we've been told that John Franklin will be inviting a small but random sample of parents to feed back to the school on various topics, but as this forum shows (to those of us who have stumbled on it serendipitously) there is a need for a wider platform. I think that this could be particularly helpful to parents of boarders, who have little day to day contact with those who make decisions affecting their children.

And as a case in point, how would one go about suggesting a Forum-style website to the school?... Anyone out there lucky enough to have been selected to have the ear of the headmaster?!!
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Hello and welcome to fbannabel; nice to hear from you.

I stumbled across this site by googling as well, before we even applied to go to CH. It was all part of the investigation/decision process. I had no other way of getting to know something about the school. As I've said elsewhere, I lurked for about a year, then joined & only posted another 6 months later. It's been a godsend for me and I really think there should be a link to it from the School website as well as in the their literature. It can be accompanied by the usual disclaimer about external links.... I don't think it would be seen as a malign influence - we're not that subversive!

Could the CHA pass on the info that new/prospective parents would be welcome here through their sections? They obviously have access to adresses because I was contacted by my local branch.

Do other parents know - I don't think so. I don't know many of them but the ones I do still think it's just for Old Blues.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

huggermugger wrote:I don't think it would be seen as a malign influence - we're not that subversive!
I agree, huggermugger. This forum is very positive and upbeat about CH. I don't think I've ever read a post from anyone saying that CH is awful and they wish their child had never gone there. Does anyone know if Mr Franklin ever 'lurks' on this forum? Does he know it exists? :?:
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

[/quote] Does anyone know if Mr Franklin ever 'lurks' on this forum? Does he know it exists? :?: [/quote]

Dunno... will you ask him or shall I ? :lol: :lol:
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

I vote YOU! :lol:
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I bet he does!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Well, if so, he'll know that there's nothing derogatory on the forum (unless anyone knows different), in which case he might be happy for new parents to be given a link to it. Again, huggermugger, I vote you ask him! :)
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Right -oh; will bring it up next time we share a sherry :yawinkle: