Day Pupils - announcement pending

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Day Pupils - announcement pending

Post by huggermugger »

Got a text message from my DS today saying that the Head will announce tomorrow that day pupils will be admitted to CH. He was in a class where it was discussed by a member of staff.

He says thay were told that Ch is losing £5-6 million per year and that if they carry on the way they are, the school will have to close in 20 years.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Re: Day Pupils - announcement pending

Post by Hannoir »

Wow, serious business. Not that I want to see the school close, but I can't see day pupils fitting into the community life of CH. But I guess its a pretty serious situation!
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

They had quite a discussion about it - whether it would alter the ethos of the school. general consensus was that it would. He seemed to think the day boys are being brought in to free up beds so that they can have more children paying full fees. I guess the thinking is that then they could continue to offer subsidised boarding places to the same or similar number of kids that they do at the moment.
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

huggermugger wrote:They had quite a discussion about it - whether it would alter the ethos of the school. general consensus was that it would. He seemed to think the day boys are being brought in to free up beds so that they can have more children paying full fees. I guess the thinking is that then they could continue to offer subsidised boarding places to the same or similar number of kids that they do at the moment.
Is this as well as boarding??
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

Why is there nothing on the sch site??
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

SAS wrote:
huggermugger wrote:They had quite a discussion about it - whether it would alter the ethos of the school. general consensus was that it would. He seemed to think the day boys are being brought in to free up beds so that they can have more children paying full fees. I guess the thinking is that then they could continue to offer subsidised boarding places to the same or similar number of kids that they do at the moment.
I mean additional places?
ReallyMissingHer
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by ReallyMissingHer »

Not an easy decision but I can understand why they want to do it.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

??????
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

Sorry - meant day pupils... not boys...
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

SAS wrote:
SAS wrote:
I mean additional places?
Don't think they will be upping the number of boarding places overall (is that what you meant?)
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

Yes - I meant day places in addition to existing boarding numbers, ie., extra dosh.
Sussex
2nd Former

Post by Sussex »

Does anyone have any idea of the sort of fees that will be charged, around 12-15K I would have thought in order to be in line with other schools in the area? Have just checked the CH site and the only direct entry places mentioned are full boarding. Perhaps it will all be announced online later today.
bosty94
2nd Former

Post by bosty94 »

Has there been any hint of when they will be brought in? And would this affect the children on the waiting list for September '10 entry? My daughter is on the waiting list along with a friend she made at the residential. Her friend was offered a place yesterday, and I can really see the stress on my daugher's face now. The waiting has got really hard now, and I feel for my daughter who was going through this with her friend (they e-mailed daily) but now feels alone I guess.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

bosty94, if your daughter is on the waiting list for a boarding place, I'm sure her chances won't be affected by the admission of day pupils. People will still be dropping out in the next few weeks/months so hang in there! but I feel for you & your daughter, it must be very hard.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I always hate to say this....................

BUT......................

I TOLD YOU SO !!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.