School clothing - help!

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

KenHo
3rd Former

Re: School clothing - help!

Post by KenHo »

My son always uses his rucsac, and all his friends also appear to have rucsacs.

They really need a bag, as they have things such as pens/calculators as well as the books for the next few lessons. I would also say that they often don't make it back to the house at breaks if they are busy with other stuff, such as bands.

On another, but related, topic, I was told that he probably wouldn't need a tracksuit and perhaps many crested shirts unless my son was sporty as they were only used by teams. In fact, despite not being at all sporty, he is in several teams and has almost worn out that kit.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

My son definitely uses his bag every day....but then he is in one of the houses at the far end of the avenue so sometimes he does take more books, pencil case etc as he doesn't always have the time to trek all the way back to house to change his books. He has a messenger type bag for books and also a rucksack that he uses for swimming stuff or other sports kit.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Matalan has inexpensive polo shirts - especially if your child is on the small side.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
stargazer
2nd Former

Post by stargazer »

The advice has been so useful - thank you all very much for all your help! I hope I can get all my DD's clothing before school ends. If it wasn't for your hints and tips, I would still be looking around the internet for shoes for size 13 feet!
ReallyMissingHer
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by ReallyMissingHer »

I just wanted to let your dd know that she isn't the only very petite girl at CH one of the girls in Barnes A is very unusually petite for her age too! She's just finished 3rd From and she makes me look really tall still and I'm only 5' :shock:

Never noticed what shoes she's been wearing though! I was about 13 before I reached a size 1 in shoes though.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I also found that the enormous pocket in the coats is big enough for nearly any pencil case you could ever want!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

If she takes a 13 now she is probably never going to have very big feet so may like this.

I haven't even checked it out (it is probably very expensive), but I saw it in the Independent Magazine today.

www.thelittleshoeshop.com
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
stargazer
2nd Former

Post by stargazer »

Thank you all so much! Thanks to you, I have managed to get (almost) everything! I have got her shoes (what a relief!). I just hope her feet don't suddenly grow! I'm starting to panic a bit because I've only done 30% of her name labels. My daughter tried to help - oh dear! She hasn't quite got the hang of it. Today's duty is to finish doing the socks. What a pain...
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

i wish i had these issues my 8 year old we measured this weekend she is 147cm which is 4'10'' she is already in size 3.5 shoes and her 9th b'day isn't until next March - she has now sat 4cm above the 99.7% line on the little growth chart in the red NHS book since she was about 2 and a half and will end up about 6'2'' if it continues.

On the plus side she starts playing contact rugby in 5 weeks (after 2 years of tag) and is looking forward to "splatting" the boys. If she goes down that route do they play girls rugby at CH ?
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

wurzel wrote:On the plus side she starts playing contact rugby in 5 weeks (after 2 years of tag) and is looking forward to "splatting" the boys. If she goes down that route do they play girls rugby at CH ?
Yes, they certainly do! :)
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

wurzel wrote:i wish i had these issues my 8 year old we measured this weekend she is 147cm which is 4'10'' she is already in size 3.5 shoes and her 9th b'day isn't until next March - she has now sat 4cm above the 99.7% line on the little growth chart in the red NHS book since she was about 2 and a half and will end up about 6'2'' if it continues.
My daughter was well above the 90% line until she was about 7, taller than everyone else her age. Then she seemed to slow right down and for the first 2 or 3 years at CH she was overtaken by her peers - then she shot up ! She`s now an almost 6 foot tall, blond, slim, gorgeous nearly 19 year old! (with size 8 feet!)
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

This is not the 90% percentile she is above but the 3StandardDeviation 99.7% percentile and she has tracked that line perfectly for 6 years just 4cm above it. Weight wise she sits just under the 90% and is thin as a rake so we had to laugh when we got a letter from her primary school at the beginning of last year advising us our daughter was "overweight".

It will be interesting to see how she takes to contact rugby - currently I am feeling sorry for the boys - she has 1 last tag tournament first in the morning before the london double header as officially the season hasn't started so they can't play contact until the following week
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Oh Ian, she probably IS 'overweight' for an average height 8 year old, but not for a 99.7 centile one. Don't you just wish people would look at the whole picture.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"