How tired

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

onewestguncopse
GE (Great Erasmus)

How tired

Post by onewestguncopse »

Looking back, how tired where the new 2nd form when they returned home for the first leave weekend? They seem so busy, rushing to and fro. Also, how long was it before they got into the rhythm of the place? It is odd, but having worked here since 1996, this is the first year I have a vested interest in the 2nd form!

Finally, do boys actually do the prep/work as hard as they might? Did you find that they dipped a bit academically to start with until they learnt the habit? That is my wife's worry! :wink:

and how tired were the staff? :oops:
Eruresto
Grecian

Re: How tired

Post by Eruresto »

onewestguncopse wrote: Finally, do boys actually do the prep/work as hard as they might? Did you find that they dipped a bit academically to start with until they learnt the habit? That is my wife's worry! :wink:
For me it was the other way around. When I started, we had the 7'-tall deps looking over our shoulders, as well as the ever-present Oli Marlow (of "Calm Down Sit Down Grow Up Shut Up" fame) and Bill Avenall as my housemaster and head of year respectively. I remember being very studious at first, really working on past prep to get things finished. It was only as we discovered more things to do and the aforementioned became less of a shadow that I started to drop - and in fact when we got New Peele and OKM did supervised prep in the computer room, I found that much better for working.
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

onewestguncopse wrote: Finally, do boys actually do the prep/work as hard as they might? Did you find that they dipped a bit academically to start with until they learnt the habit? That is my wife's worry! :wink:
:
The only reason i slacked off when i arrived was that i found the 2nd form maths was less than i had to learn for the entrance exams. One example that sticks in my mind (yes i have a sadly retentive memory) is Mr Wright teaching us Ven Diagrams when they had been in the syllabus for the entrance exams - i remember it because we had never done them at primary school so i had to learn them at home before the exam.

For competitive entry as has been stated elsewhere the 2nd form had to have been likely to reach lv5 by the end of primary school - that is the level of attainment the state sector is aiming for by end of yr9.

I used to do an hours maths prep in 15mins but the English took me longer than allocated and as for French......... I think it takes a good term before all the teachers and pupils have worked out each others capacities/strengths etc
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

My son has worked really really hard all year but he is an academic and not a sporty type. I have to worry about him working too hard and spending too much time on prep and getting up at silly o'clock to finish it off.

He is tired at Leave Weekends but not to the point of not wanting to communicate. I avoid planning stuff so he can sleep in on Sunday morning.
onewestguncopse
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by onewestguncopse »

Lucky you! Harry is earnest but still prefers his PS3 to his academic work! We will see how the cookie crumbles
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

onewestguncopse wrote: and how tired were the staff? :oops:
and not just academic staff!!

Leave Weekend can`t come soon enough !
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

"Lucky you! Harry is earnest but still prefers his PS3 to his academic work!"

I meant when he is at school when he doesn't have access to the computer or the television. At home it's a different story!
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

i cant wait until leaving day so i can go to tuck shop and get another quarter of those mishap things. yum yum!
wide awake on the edge of the world
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

wickedwitch wrote:i cant wait until leaving day so i can go to tuck shop and get another quarter of those mishap things. yum yum!
never the same twice!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I get the feeling that Prep has become optional ---- ?

"In my day" --- (Oh no, not again !!) ---- missed Prep tended to mean Detention, and, if frequent, became physically Painful !!! :oops:
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Talking to my son (current Third Former) I don't get the impression prep is optional at all and sanctions are still in place for not doing it, although no longer of the physical variety.
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

daughter the first has also given me the impression that prep is a very important part of the day.
wide awake on the edge of the world
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

onewestguncopse wrote: and how tired were the staff? :oops:
Yaaaawwn!!!
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I get the feeling that Prep has become optional ---- ?
What gave you that impression, Neill? I've had a quick look but can't find any comment that may have misled you. Prep is definitely not optional, they have it from 7.15pm to 8.15pm every night, and if they have already done their prep or finish before 8.15pm then they have to read quietly.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

lonelymom wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I get the feeling that Prep has become optional ---- ?
What gave you that impression, Neill? I've had a quick look but can't find any comment that may have misled you. Prep is definitely not optional, they have it from 7.15pm to 8.15pm every night, and if they have already done their prep or finish before 8.15pm then they have to read quietly.

Not out loud, then ?? :lol:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.