Marching into lunch

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Re: Marching into lunch

Post by Great Plum »

J.R. wrote:
jhopgood wrote:I was at CH recently on a Friday and watched the Band parade. It was what I called the "Bugle and Drums" band, although there seemed to be no bugles in evidence, but all trumpets and cornets.There were 3 drum majors, 2 of whom must have been learning the art, carefully copying the senior on parade.
Not as grand as a full parade, but far more interesting to see the obvious effort put in by those who aspire to get into the full parade.
Marching was pretty good especially as they weren't "on show".

With respect to Security, I sauntered in as usual, and at a coffee break, went and got my pass.
Not the thing to do, although there was no problem, but it does seem to be one of the criticisms of the school inspectors. I feel that those of us who know we can get in without a pass but shouldn't, ought to toe the line to help out with the School inspector problem. It only takes 5 minutes and is quite simple.

That's what I thought John, and being Senior Bugler in my day, that rankles a bit.

Strangely enough last Saturday in Big School during 6th form open-day, I was glancing at the posters regarding music, and BUGLE BAND was definitely included.

Sorry to be pedantic, but a cornet is NOT a bugle, and sounds nothing like a bugle being played properly !
Bugle Band, or Bungle Band as it was normally refered to was on a Tuesday and a Friday and never had any bugles in it - just trumpets and drums and was a 'training band' for the younger drummers and trumpeters. The only bugle I knew at CH was a very bashed up one that was used on scout camps...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I think under 'Bill' Bailey, we had 8 or 10 bugles !!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Indeed there WERE Bugles.
I have mentioned before, that the three senior were Silver Bugles, who played on the Founders Steps, at Tea time'
We also played on Remembrance Day, at local Churches

Since I was also (JR Note) Captain of Bugles, I wondered what happened to the Silver Bugles, and when I visited the Music School on Founder's Day, I enquired of one of the Teachers who was there ----- Blank look, but he said he would find out and let Margaret Wadman know so we can all know.

I await, with interest, results !
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I certainly cannot recall any silver bugles in my time.

Incidently, I've just dug out the band photo of the year I joined 'Bill' Bailey's ensemble.

I can't find JH on it, so I'm assuming he joined the band the year after me !
gsjones
3rd Former

Post by gsjones »

Marching into lunch is definitely something that stays with you after leaving CH,and not in a bad way.Because of marching into lunch I still walk swinging my arms,I've even been told that I march along when on my morning walks!And the CH band is exceptional,I used to have a tape I used to listen to of them performing marches.

I also remember marching through London to meet the Lord Mayor and to receive 20p,although I cannot remember what it was called.All I can remember is that it goes back to the days when CH was still in London.
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

Largesse!
gsjones
3rd Former

Post by gsjones »

Thank you Howard.

I do remember one year when performing the London march(St Matthew's day??) we passed a coach of Japanese tourists,and they were all crammed up to the nearside windows taking photos.I never believed that stereotype until I saw it.I wonder if anyone else has any CH marching related stories,humourous or otherwise,as I know that marching into lunch didn't always go smoothly.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

gsjones wrote:Marching into lunch is definitely something that stays with you after leaving CH,and not in a bad way.Because of marching into lunch I still walk swinging my arms,I've even been told that I march along when on my morning walks!And the CH band is exceptional,I used to have a tape I used to listen to of them performing marches.

I also remember marching through London to meet the Lord Mayor and to receive 20p,although I cannot remember what it was called.All I can remember is that it goes back to the days when CH was still in London.
I am accused of "Walking like Poirot" and have recently been bullied by one of TBA's Ex-Nursing friends --- "Stride out == back straight = Head up !"

At 82, I should like to reply "Urinate away !" or something similar, but I WAS well brought up --------- ?? :oops:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:
gsjones wrote:Marching into lunch is definitely something that stays with you after leaving CH,and not in a bad way.Because of marching into lunch I still walk swinging my arms,I've even been told that I march along when on my morning walks!And the CH band is exceptional,I used to have a tape I used to listen to of them performing marches.

I am accused of "Walking like Poirot" and have recently been bullied by one of TBA's Ex-Nursing friends --- "Stride out == back straight = Head up !"

At 82, I should like to reply "Urinate away !" or something similar, but I WAS well brought up --------- ?? :oops:
I 'spose that's better than 'sex' and 'travel' !! :oops:
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Wheter this counts as amusing depends on your sense of humour.
In the VIth we went to the St Matts day march, that year starting at St Sepulchre's and going to the Mansion House. As we stepped out, the idiot behind me stepped onto the heel of my shoe, almost dragging it off my foot. I had a moment of panic: should I get out of line to put my shoe on properly and if so would I be able to get back to my place, and if I did what would DR's reaction be to one of her girls making an exhibition of herself? I spent a miserable time marching with my toes curled up and managed to keep my shoe on.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
gsjones
3rd Former

Post by gsjones »

That is kinda funny,mainly as I'm sure it happened to many of us.I certainly remember the curled foot method as it has happened to me whilst marching,but I think it was probably not the St Matthew's march.
I do remember stepping on people's heels on during the lunch march to see them them do the shuffle march.But then again I was in Lamb and so the suffering wasn't exactly the longest in history.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

midget wrote:Wheter this counts as amusing depends on your sense of humour.
In the VIth we went to the St Matts day march, that year starting at St Sepulchre's and going to the Mansion House. As we stepped out, the idiot behind me stepped onto the heel of my shoe, almost dragging it off my foot. I had a moment of panic: should I get out of line to put my shoe on properly and if so would I be able to get back to my place, and if I did what would DR's reaction be to one of her girls making an exhibition of herself? I spent a miserable time marching with my toes curled up and managed to keep my shoe on.
Ouch, I can really feel for you on that one

So you missed the long march to St Sepulchre's; in 1953 the entire boys school went up with three marching bands; we could hear the one in front whose timing was different to the one behind (velocity of sound over the intervening distance). Difficult :shock: :shock: :shock:

In line with your "accident" something got into my shoe when marching up to dining hall (I was in the Prep at the time - the furthest from dining hall); I was refused permission to fall out and remove the item; in dining hall we discovered a bit of glass lodged under the arch of my foot with a cut over an inch long. Matron was furious at the dirty sock and even more furious because the blood would not stop but no medical treatment (a plaster or stitches) was suggested. I also had a shoe wet on the inside for a long time until it dried out. (I have had far worse since then)

I'm glad to see that the school has now recruited humans!
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

I saw 2 shoes come off during yesterday`s lunch parade.... a fairly frequent occurence and hardly surprising when they don`t tie their laces up!!!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Mrs C. wrote:I saw 2 shoes come off during yesterday`s lunch parade.... a fairly frequent occurence and hardly surprising when they don`t tie their laces up!!!
Is that just a "yoof" thing? Joe was remarking this morning as we were doing the shopping that it's amazing they don't all fall over their feet.
I have been trying to imagine what the reaction of ANY of our staff would have been to undone laces. That said, a friend older than I used to walk on Exmoor with bootlaces undone. It used to worry us if we were leading a walk!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
gsjones
3rd Former

Post by gsjones »

I can remember shoes coming off in lunch parades.Not sure if it was due to laces being undone,more likely it was the person behind who was to blame.Be it that they were out of step or just being a prankster.