Poorly children

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Poorly children

Post by pinkhebe »

I had a couple of texts this morning from my son 'I want to come home' and 'I hate this place' (phone was downstairs, I was in bed and ignored it - this might be the reason for the slightly angry 2nd text!). Anyway I had a very teary conversation with him (he wasn't feeling well and was in matrons office) and I'm now left feeling terrible. I'm hoping he'll be fine and this is just a blip (we're going to see him tomorrow and take him out for lunch), Does it take a bit of time after holidays to get used to school again? I remember he was homesick just before the first leave weekend at the beginning of last term, but then fine for the rest of term.

We're also having to stop his music lessons due to financial reasons (£265 a term!) and his housemaster wants to have a chat with us about it, possibly to find some other interest for him, What other clubs/societies are there he could join? My son has mentioned drama, but we don't know what other non musical/sporty things CH offers.

This is quite rambly, sorry, my head's not quite where it should be!
vanilladash
2nd Former

Re: Poorly children

Post by vanilladash »

Try not to worry too much. It's very hard when you get messages like this as a parent. From experience I have found that once my children have offloaded to me they then return to their routine and friends and feel a lot better. It's the parent who is left beeling bad. If your son is unwell matron will be sure to look after him. If you are worried a call or quick email to matron or house masters is always a good idea.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

Well I've just had a call from the health centre nurse, and we're off to Horsham Hospital to check out suspected concussion! But I can take him home afterwards and bring him back on Sunday :D
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Pinkhebe, I'm really sorry to hear that your ds is unhappy, and on his way to hospital. I hope that his being unwell is the reason, and that it's not serious.

My dd was homesick quite a bit last term when she wasn't well, and she has hurt her ankle this term, and I get wobbly phonecalls and texts when it's hurting :-(

I hope that he is fine, and that you have a lovely couple of days with him xx

( I'll send you a pm about the activities)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I know by now that you are with your son, and hope all is well.

Hopefully, a night at home and a good long chat will sort everything out - I hope so !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

i had been warned that this term is a tricky one for morale for most children (youngsters!) at CH - but my dd started the term amazingly well (having had a heavy bout of homesickness for the second half of last term). She's now hit a low point - she's struggling to fit in with the rest of her year group and feels very isolated at times. Her house mistress said the girls will off load on their parents on the phone and then go away feeling much better ... I'm having to remind myself of that fact each time we end yet another teary conversation. I realise friendships take time but knowing my girl's feeling very alone is hard ... so it's another trip to Horsham tomorrow and another pizza!

Pinkhebe - I hope your son's on the mend soon - it's amazing what a little TLC can do! It's heartwarming to know that the school also recognise the importance of TLC!
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

He's home after an hour at the minor injuries unit! It transpires that he was playing basketball in the corridors and hit his head on a doorframe :roll: but there is no need for concern so we're just keeping an eye on him.

And he still loves school and the texts were just a result of feeling sick this morning.
juicymum

Post by juicymum »

Hi Pinkhebe, I hope your DS is much better now he is at home. I think the lent term is the longest and most of the young ones get homesick. My DS is in his second year and even though he loves school, I have noticed that he has been calling home almost every other day the past fortnight. He has never done that so I guess there is some homesickness. Matron says he is fine ,so I try not too worry too much. I miss him so much and feel a bit guilty sometimes :( but I know he loves it.OOh, it must be hard for 11-12 year olds.
I am looking forward to Friday when he comes home. Give your son lots of TLC and he will be ready to go back.
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by MW224 »

I am so pleased to hear your DS is ok Pinkhebe. My DS is friends with him and I just had him on the phone, so could reassure him that all was well. He then immediately phoned another friend who was very very worried to tell her the good news, so she was most relieved. Very useful this forum! :wink:
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

I do think that the lent term is the hardest for parents and children. Michalemas term everyone is looking forward to Christmas and the first long holiday for new children at CH. Lent term it takes a while to get used to the reality of school life again.