Girls' cricket?

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Girls' cricket?

Post by SAS »

My DD, who loves rounders and has been in the 1st team for the last 3 years, is worried about what will happen "after rounders", as (according to The Blue) there is no team above U15 level. She is just outside squad level for athletics, not fond of tennis and is an adequate swimmer, but would love to play Girls' cricket. Is there a Girls' cricket team? There is no mention in The Blue.
She is looking forward to playing Girls' rugby!
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Re: Girls' cricket?

Post by Fjgrogan »

Great idea! They should revive the custom of girls playing cricket. It happened at Hertford for many generations. I personally was not much good at it, but have memories of playing on the boundary at Ashbourne (wearing the obigatory Ashbourne hat), where most of the time there was little to do. Fortunately when necessary I could throw a ball long and straight, one of my few 'athletic' abilities! Both my father and later my husband played in the annual Fathers' Cricket Match. One obvious problem would be a shortage of other teams to play against - although I believe that England still has a women's cricket team, so there must be other schools or colleges where it is still played. The name Rachel Heyhoe Flint springs to mind - how long ago was it that she captained England?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

I dont' know whether C.H has any girls cricket, if I was you I would contact Mr Messenger to find out. Our village cricket club has just started a girls section and it is proving very popular and well attended.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Fjgrogan wrote:Great idea! They should revive the custom of girls playing cricket. It happened at Hertford for many generations. I personally was not much good at it, but have memories of playing on the boundary at Ashbourne (wearing the obigatory Ashbourne hat), where most of the time there was little to do. Fortunately when necessary I could throw a ball long and straight, one of my few 'athletic' abilities! Both my father and later my husband played in the annual Fathers' Cricket Match. One obvious problem would be a shortage of other teams to play against - although I believe that England still has a women's cricket team, so there must be other schools or colleges where it is still played. The name Rachel Heyhoe Flint springs to mind - how long ago was it that she captained England?

http://uk.ask.com/wiki/Rachael_Heyhoe_Flint

Now BARONESS Heyhoe-Flint. I'm a stickler for 'titles' when people have actually earnt them !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I agree - and my apologies to the Baroness for mis-spelling her first name - it is something of a miracle that I remembered it at all!!

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

J.R. wrote:
Fjgrogan wrote:Great idea! They should revive the custom of girls playing cricket. It happened at Hertford for many generations. I personally was not much good at it, but have memories of playing on the boundary at Ashbourne (wearing the obigatory Ashbourne hat), where most of the time there was little to do. Fortunately when necessary I could throw a ball long and straight, one of my few 'athletic' abilities! Both my father and later my husband played in the annual Fathers' Cricket Match. One obvious problem would be a shortage of other teams to play against - although I believe that England still has a women's cricket team, so there must be other schools or colleges where it is still played. The name Rachel Heyhoe Flint springs to mind - how long ago was it that she captained England?

http://uk.ask.com/wiki/Rachael_Heyhoe_Flint

Now BARONESS Heyhoe-Flint. I'm a stickler for 'titles' when people have actually earnt them !

.............as opposed to political toady's and SOME entertainers.
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

I know that Moira House in Eastbourne (does it still exist?) used to play as my cousin went there and she played for Sussex. Do Brighton College have girls' cricket? I will consult Mr Messenger. Thanks for the advice!
England have a thriving ladies' team, I believe.
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

Just found this http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/womens/ re the forthcoming test series.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Were we not forced to play cricket because DR had played for (captained?) the English team?

Personally, I would rather watch paint dry; although things have improved (IMO) since limited over and one day matches were invented. Not to mention slightly more attractive outfits.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

School cricket wouldn't be the same without the Ashbourne hats!!

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Were we not forced to play cricket because DR had played for (captained?) the English team?

Personally, I would rather watch paint dry; although things have improved (IMO) since limited over and one day matches were invented. Not to mention slightly more attractive outfits.

I think it's only test series now where traditional cricket-whites must be worn.

I have to say, like Ladies football, I love watching Ladies cricket, and NO - not for the reasons some of you may be thinking !.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I have nephews who from the age of about five played rugby for Suttton and Epsom, as did their sister for the girls team. One of the boys went on to marry the captain of the ladies team - you have never seen a woman who looks less like a rugby player - she is petite and stunningly beautiful.

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Fjgrogan wrote:I have nephews who from the age of about five played rugby for Suttton and Epsom, as did their sister for the girls team. One of the boys went on to marry the captain of the ladies team - you have never seen a woman who looks less like a rugby player - she is petite and stunningly beautiful.

....... and here's a funny story about Ladies rugby.

When I was secretary of a Sunday League football club, we were appointed at short notice a female referee, so I asked the bar steward for a key to the ladies changing rooms, as male referees used to use an annexe of the mens changing rooms.

"The Ladies changing rooms are already unlocked !" he advised me.

Collecting our Ladies ref on her arrival, I showed her to the changing rooms, and opened the door to usher her in.

Low and behold, I was confronted with seven or eight naked Brockham Ladies rugby players emerging from the shower.

Needless to say, I was more embarressed than they were !
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

Some of you might like to know that a young 2nd Form girl, Inys Barnard-Masterson, made 20 not out yesterday, batting at no 6 in the Under 12A (boys) side to help her team defeat Cottesmore Prep School by 2 wickets in a thrilling match. It was an innings of great application and skill. She also has potential as a bowler
Sadly at the moment there is not a cricket activity for girls as there is a great shortage of staff who can take cricket. This has been the case for the last five years, which is a source of great regret to me as a number of our girls have expressed an interest. We are trying to find a willing and able soul as we are now the only co-ed independent senior school in Sussex that does not offer this activity for girls.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

My congratulations to Inys, Howard.

Sadly, womens cricket, AND Ladies association football is still seen as a second class sport in this country, indeed, Ladies football is even considered a joke by some idiots in the football world !