Beating retreat, end of term.

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

simmons.p
2nd Former

Re: Beating retreat, end of term.

Post by simmons.p »

I have been a follower of the forum for some years now, but I must confess that it is only through reading this thread that my interest has been sufficiently stirred to pass comment! My DS is in Lamb A, although he has no desire to be a drum major as he is already an avid member of the band. When I first read the thread, I was strongly in support of the proposals, as I was surprised at such discrimination in the selection process, as I had assumed beforehand that it was open to anyone. However, having mentioned it to my son, and having heard what he said about it, I'm now not so sure whether I do support this. Mid A 55 gets to the heart of the issue when he (I assume he is male-since he was himself a drum major!) tells us that they do not have enough clubs(??) to equip the current drum majors, let alone anyone else, which my son has confirmed (he mentioned that before the band steps off for marching, the drum majors are always hurriedly fixing their clubs to make them look presentable!). I do not think he is being at all sexist in his comments (although some users are which is completely out of order), and I think he himself does acknowledge, dare I say it, wish (I think I may be overstepping the mark!), for change. However, I think he fails to recognise that the school must be seen to be a fair and offer equal opportunities to all its students regardless of background, an important point raised by HowardH in one of his earlier posts. I am led to believe that other houses fulfil other posts in the band, and I do wonder what this will mean for them if drum majoring is taken away from Middleton A.
In summation, I am completely for the ideology behind the proposals, and I would hope to see them implemented as soon as possible (perhaps in time for next year's Beating Retreat), but what I do not agree with is the rushed, ill thought out way they seem to be implementing them. Judging by the passion evoked from some of the users, it would also appear that there has been a lack of consultation! Perhaps, Howard, you could provide more clarity on the issue so that people have a better understanding of what is on the table. What exactly is being proposed, who proposed it (before blame/praise is undoubtedly heaped onto the headmaster) and what is the time-scale for this?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

............... and on the subject of house traditions.

In my time, Coleridge B provided the Chapel 'gong' ringers, (of which I was one).

Do the girls in Coleridge B carry this on ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
simmons.p
2nd Former

Post by simmons.p »

J.R,
According to my son, he has never heard of chapel gong ringers, so I can only assume that the post no longer exists! However, he was never one for religion, so he may be wrong. Perhaps the role has been absorbed by the Chapel Sacristans?
Mr Drum Major
2nd Former

Post by Mr Drum Major »

HowardH
Is there any way you can tell us what the changes are going to be, or give us any details at all please? We are discussing something that we know very little about!
Thanks
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

simmons.p wrote:J.R,
According to my son, he has never heard of chapel gong ringers, so I can only assume that the post no longer exists! However, he was never one for religion, so he may be wrong. Perhaps the role has been absorbed by the Chapel Sacristans?

I therefore assume that the chapel bell, (gong), is no longer rung to summon to prayer, then !
simmons.p
2nd Former

Post by simmons.p »

Apparently, the gong is still rung before chapel services, but it is the job of the Sacristans.

P.S: Mr Drum Major, I've just noticed your post, and agree with it completely. It seems to me to be foolish to discuss this topic and leap to conclusions without knowing all the details! I have great respect for Mr Holdsworth, and I'm sure he will provide you with more information soon, as this clearly means a lot to you!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

simmons.p wrote:Apparently, the gong is still rung before chapel services, but it is the job of the Sacristans.

P.S: Mr Drum Major, I've just noticed your post, and agree with it completely. It seems to me to be foolish to discuss this topic and leap to conclusions without knowing all the details! I have great respect for Mr Holdsworth, and I'm sure he will provide you with more information soon, as this clearly means a lot to you!

I don't think we ever had any of them in my day, what-ever they are !!!!
simmons.p
2nd Former

Post by simmons.p »

I believe they are the people who lead the procession to the altar at the start of the service, and hold the cross and candles. Not sure if they are a recent addition, but they have certainly been there since my eldest was at CH.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Don't think they would have trusted Col B people with candles !!!!
Mr Drum Major
2nd Former

Post by Mr Drum Major »

The sacristans have a very minor post now, the cross and candles rotate between houses and the procession to the alter is now led by the chaplains.
simmons.p
2nd Former

Post by simmons.p »

I'll have to take your word for it J.R!
On a side note, is it not a health and safety risk, entrusting people to walk down the chapel with candles? The place would burn down very quickly if anything were to catch light!
Also, Mr Drum Major, isn't this drum majoring business a health and safety risk? Those clubs look very heavy, and I saw them throwing it up in the air many times in Beating Retreat! Do you ever drop it, on yourselves or other members of the band????
Mr Drum Major
2nd Former

Post by Mr Drum Major »

well, we train so hard that mistakes rarely- if ever- happen! Of course, as is the same with them all, the mistakes that do happen are never discreet.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

simmons.p wrote:I'll have to take your word for it J.R!
On a side note, is it not a health and safety risk, entrusting people to walk down the chapel with candles? The place would burn down very quickly if anything were to catch light!
Also, Mr Drum Major, isn't this drum majoring business a health and safety risk? Those clubs look very heavy, and I saw them throwing it up in the air many times in Beating Retreat! Do you ever drop it, on yourselves or other members of the band????

Maces !!

DM 1.

In my day in the band many moons ago, drum-majors OCCASIONALLY used a practice mace to attempt a 'toss' over one of the bridges between Big School and the classroom blocks.

Now there was a H & S issue !!
simmons.p
2nd Former

Post by simmons.p »

Ah, my apologies! Maces does sound a lot better than clubs! I assume that a 'toss' is when they throw it up into the air? Now that would be a sight, throwing it over the bridge connecting big school to the classroom blocks! I wonder if they ever managed it? It does seem like quite a feat!
Mr Drum Major
2nd Former

Post by Mr Drum Major »

rumor has it that the senior drum major 4 years ago could do it with the lightest mace, nicknamed by us "butters" in lieu of its unsightliness!