Help the newbie!

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Help the newbie!

Post by J.R. »

seajayuu wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:17 pm I first kitted out a 2nd former 9 years ago and then renewed her kit subsequently. Sports kit was fairly rigid in the early days but relaxed as the years went by. She was sporty and in a variety of teams and so used team kit (I never really got my head round that, but I never ended up paying for it). The school's thrift shop is/was excellent and I drummed into my youngster that any sports kit she grew out of went to the thrift shop. Actually - I reckon you could do almost all their kitting out from the thrift shop - anything without a label ends up there from the laundry I think; think duvet covers, pillow cases ............................
I think Mrs C, (Janet C), had something to do with the thrift shop, but I don't know if it still is in existance.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
puffinsplace
2nd Former

Post by puffinsplace »

Thank you all for your replies!
Yes, the thrift shop is still going strong! Got 2 sets of rugby kit there then spent £300 to get the rest at the uniform shop. Have told kids to use the thrift shop!
I still don't know the answers to the questions posted but kids aren't worried so I won't!!
So I keep checking my phone for messages!! Day 3 and my first conversation. All going well there. I will refrain from texting, 'have you showered? Don't forget to cut your fingernails!' Teachers are really good and small class sizes.
Today is a milestone, they don't feel like the new kids on the block anymore as the second formers have arrived!! Hurray!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great news Pauline.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

in the 80's you were specifically requested not to have contact with parents for first 3 weeks (other than letters) to apparently stop homesickness !!

By the way the bit about school "team kit" will be that if they are in a school team the shirts at least will be specific to the team and thus taken back by the coach for central laundering rather than being owned by the player.

This is not unusual to CH as in my shed I have both a club and a county complete sets of U18Girls Rugby shirts which after the games i get a different parent to wash each week - nobody has to do it more than once a season. It tends to be especially common if a company has sponsored a team as the match shirts will have the sponsors name on them
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

wurzel wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:20 pm in the 80's you were specifically requested not to have contact with parents for first 3 weeks (other than letters) to apparently stop homesickness !!
It was the same in the late 90s. I guess it's difficult to enforce now with mobiles.