jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Barnes B 1954 to 1955

Post by jtaylor »

Posted on behalf of David Robinson, Barnes B '51-'58

Barnes B 1954-1955

(click on image for bigger version)

Back Row (L to R)
C.R.Parsons, D.P.Robinson, C.Jordan, R.H.Smith, W.F.Bishop, A.W.Rendall, ?. Sherwood, M.J.King, W.J.Winterbotham

4th Row
A.R.Lloyd, R.E.Hildrew, L.G.Leitch, J.C.Curtis, D.K.Bowen, M.J.Coupe, L.J.Errington, P.A.Goodwin, P.M.Hall, F.J.Bamber, L.L.Winterbotham, R.F.G.Flashman

3rd Row
P.J.Burden, E.A.Mills, M.Pritchett, D.H.Lee, J.Thompson, A.D.T.Trew, B.D.Gibb, M.G.Dunham, B.P.Connelley, N.M.Skinner, D.Farrah

2nd Row
R.C.G.Rowe, C J Jelley, J W B Read, A.N.Barnard, Miss E.M.Watts, Mr. M.T.Cherniavsky, Mr. P.A.A.Cullen, R.Martin, T.F.W.B.Knapp, K.M.Brown, R.P.Davis

Front Row
D.W.Russell, P.C.Robins, J.H.Steward, D.N.Ledeboer, I.D.Edgley, V.C.Roberts, B.Pell, A.G.Dewhurst, M.J.Lancefield, J.H.Hawes-Hart, J.P.K.Tillett
Last edited by J.R. on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
KMB
2nd Former

Re: Barnes B 1954 to 1955

Post by KMB »

I would like to ask if an omission on the Barnes B photograph of 1955 could be corrected - the second row correctly identifies C J Jelley and A N Barnard, but omits J W B Read seated between them. James Walter Beaton Read (Jimmy) was my closest friend, but died of Hodgkin's disease tragically young in 1964 (date from memory - please correct me if I'm wrong). Tony Barnard, by then in Holy Orders, officiated at his funeral. Jimmy did National Service after leaving CH in 1956, then joined Unilever management. He was an inspiring personality, and at the time of his illness he had become a fast rising star in the Young Liberals. He was a historian at CH, and house captain of Barnes B 1955-56. Our housemaster Michael Cherniavsky often spoke to me during the following year of his regret that he had not put Jimmy forward for Oxbridge entry (let alone an open award). At CH, Jimmy had persuaded Cherniavsky to found a Junior Debating Society, and was also the co-founder with myself of the CH Jazz Club.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

KMB wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:39 pm I would like to ask if an omission on the Barnes B photograph of 1955 could be corrected - the second row correctly identifies C J Jelley and A N Barnard, but omits J W B Read seated between them. James Walter Beaton Read (Jimmy) was my closest friend, but died of Hodgkin's disease tragically young in 1964 (date from memory - please correct me if I'm wrong). Tony Barnard, by then in Holy Orders, officiated at his funeral. Jimmy did National Service after leaving CH in 1956, then joined Unilever management. He was an inspiring personality, and at the time of his illness he had become a fast rising star in the Young Liberals. He was a historian at CH, and house captain of Barnes B 1955-56. Our housemaster Michael Cherniavsky often spoke to me during the following year of his regret that he had not put Jimmy forward for Oxbridge entry (let alone an open award). At CH, Jimmy had persuaded Cherniavsky to found a Junior Debating Society, and was also the co-founder with myself of the CH Jazz Club.
Is that right, Keith ?

John R. (Moderator).
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
KMB
2nd Former

Post by KMB »

Hi John! I just revisited this page after more than a year, actually to look at Roger Martin as House Captain of Barnes B in 1954-5, and I noticed you had commented on my plea to add Jimmy Read to the photo, and had indeed added his name. I hope you will forgive me, but I must point out that Jimmy is THIRD from the left in that row - it goes Rowe, Jelley, Read, Barnard. I just want to get this right in his memory!
All the best and thanks for your work in the forum, KMB.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I think I have edited this correctly Keith.

Please check. John R.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
KMB
2nd Former

Post by KMB »

Yes, correct now! Many thanks for your trouble. Keith Brown.