Barnes House Photos

Photos associated with Barnes house

Moderator: Moderators

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: Barnes House Photos

Post by jhopgood »

Mid A 15 wrote:Tentative bash at some of them.

Front row (l to r) Cade, Morris, King, Quest, Hillier, ?, Lloyd, Martin, Collingwood

Apologies to the guy with the glasses who I cannot remember / never knew.

I think Shawyer is extreme left 3rd row from the front behind the substantial figure of Pinnegar.

At the risk of upsetting him by getting it wrong I'm hazarding a guess that AKAP is behind Johnson's right shoulder also in the 3rd row from the front.

I also recognised Hopgood jnr and Dearsley as identified by John from the subsequent Mid A connection.

Is the guy between Brotherton and Matron, again 3rd row from front, Hogan?
With the exception of Quest, who I believe is fifth from the left, I can't fault the rest as my memory needs jogging.
BTW, Miles did the recent lighting for Chapel.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

jhopgood wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:Tentative bash at some of them.

Front row (l to r) Cade, Morris, King, Quest, Hillier, ?, Lloyd, Martin, Collingwood

Apologies to the guy with the glasses who I cannot remember / never knew.

I think Shawyer is extreme left 3rd row from the front behind the substantial figure of Pinnegar.

At the risk of upsetting him by getting it wrong I'm hazarding a guess that AKAP is behind Johnson's right shoulder also in the 3rd row from the front.

I also recognised Hopgood jnr and Dearsley as identified by John from the subsequent Mid A connection.

Is the guy between Brotherton and Matron, again 3rd row from front, Hogan?
With the exception of Quest, who I believe is fifth from the left, I can't fault the rest as my memory needs jogging.
BTW, Miles did the recent lighting for Chapel.
You are right.

I inadvertently missed Salter when typing the names who is 4th from left between King 3rd from left and Quest 5th from left.

I have edited my original post to hopefully avoid confusion.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Whilst the faces bring back memories the names are harder to remember.
I'm impressed with MId A 15 and his identification of the front row. I think the boy with the glasses was a very good squash (and fives) player who went on to captain the school squash team. His name was something like Hicks, Hickson or Higgson (but I'm not sure).
In the back row, George Brunton is standing next to Simon Johnson and next to him is Paxton (I think).
2nd to back row. Extreme left is James Torrens-Spence, and third from right Gallop (my nurese maid).
3rd from back row. 3rd from left Roger Lane, 5th from left me 7th Hogan (correct again MidA15).

Some other names who must be in there Howard Hull, Knaggs,Chadwick, John Moore and Frank Mayes.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

I think it was Hickson. I must have bellowed it a few times.
Next to Savins (top row) is Moody.
Was Roger Lane related to David Lane (brother) who had also been in Barnes B?
Who is the chap 2 in from the right second row down. I was convinced he was Answar or something and thought that an Old Blue in the US was he, but he claims he was never in Barnes B.
Will forward photo to brother to see what he can come up with.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

AKAP wrote:Whilst the faces bring back memories the names are harder to remember.
I'm impressed with MId A 15 and his identification of the front row. I think the boy with the glasses was a very good squash (and fives) player who went on to captain the school squash team. His name was something like Hicks, Hickson or Higgson (but I'm not sure).
In the back row, George Brunton is standing next to Simon Johnson and next to him is Paxton (I think).
2nd to back row. Extreme left is James Torrens-Spence, and third from right Gallop (my nurese maid).
3rd from back row. 3rd from left Roger Lane, 5th from left me 7th Hogan (correct again MidA15).

Some other names who must be in there Howard Hull, Knaggs,Chadwick, John Moore and Frank Mayes.
Of course! Ian Hickson. I should have identified him - he was a regular asphalt footballer when Maine A used to play Barnes B in 65/66.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

jhopgood wrote:I think it was Hickson. I must have bellowed it a few times.
Who is the chap 2 in from the right second row down. I was convinced he was Answar or something and thought that an Old Blue in the US was he, but he claims he was never in Barnes B.
There was a girl in 6's at Hertford called Jasmine Ansar, the same year as Angela, possibly his sister.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

jhopgood wrote:I think it was Hickson. I must have bellowed it a few times.
Next to Moody is Ware (so we nearly have the back row named).
Roger had an older brother who I didn't know, so probably David and a younger brother Rupert who was 1 or 2 years behind, their father was RN and both Roger and Rupert joined RM, Roger reached the rank of Colnel before retiring I believe.
Bruce Cade in the front row also had an older brother who had been in Barnes B, I remember visiting Bruce in one of the holidays and his brother gave us a lift in his bubble car.
I don't remember the lad in the second row down although I remember his face well.
MidA15's mention of asphalt football reminds me of the large games of asphalt cricket, and also Sturday evening games of table tennis (rounds) around the big table in the day room.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

If you look on the 1961 photo, which started this thread, Hugh Cade is on the right hand end of the front row and David Lane is next to him.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Simon Johnson played rugby (alongside David Casswell ex Thornton B) for England 19 Group.

He also went on to play club rugby for Rosslyn Park when they were good alongside England International, British Lion and Superstars competitor Andy Ripley.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

John H.

Did David Lane come from the Berkshire area ?

I seem to remember spending part of one holiday with a David Lane. I'm sure it was on a farm.

Maybe just by old-age playing tricks with me.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

J.R. wrote:John H.

Did David Lane come from the Berkshire area ?

I seem to remember spending part of one holiday with a David Lane. I'm sure it was on a farm.

Maybe just by old-age playing tricks with me.
No idea where he came from but he was in the Prep before he came to Barnes B.
In the 1961 photo he is 2nd from right, front row, between Fisher (left) and Cade.
He had a plate, which I believe was RMS (naval) as did Howland (3rd from left, bottom row)
Lane ended up in Mid B.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Both Roger and Rupert were RMS and went from Barnes B to Mid B , so I'm convinced they were three brothers. In which case David's father was in the Navy and I think they lived in Hampshire.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

AKAP wrote:Both Roger and Rupert were RMS and went from Barnes B to Mid B , so I'm convinced they were three brothers. In which case David's father was in the Navy and I think they lived in Hampshire.
That certainly rings a bell, AKAP.

It's all very vague in my mind after nearly 50 years but I do re-call a beautiful chocolate-box style cottage that they lived in. The Navy connection does ring a bell now you mention it.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

The Lanes came from a naval family and lived in Petersfield near Winchester.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Thanks.

Could be David Lane then.