Col A - is this 1960?

Photos associated with Coleridge house

Moderator: Moderators

rockfreak
Grecian

Re: Col A - is this 1960?

Post by rockfreak »

I think what it was, that sometimes I am browsing these sites and decide to see if I can still remember names to faces, or vice versa. It's a kind of mental exercise as I get older, rather like doing crosswords every day. And this time I spotted Banker Brown, top row, and this prompted me to launch into a treatise on currencies, politics and economics since the war, partly to remind myself of some of the things that happened and get them straight in my head rather than just give in to the pernicious propaganda pumped out by our increasingly shrill and right wing press. So in addition to the Wexlerite Col A house photo of 1960 we get a learned comparison of Keynesian and Friedmanite philosophies.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

rockfreak wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:57 pm I think what it was, that sometimes I am browsing these sites and decide to see if I can still remember names to faces, or vice versa. It's a kind of mental exercise as I get older, rather like doing crosswords every day. And this time I spotted Banker Brown, top row, and this prompted me to launch into a treatise on currencies, politics and economics since the war, partly to remind myself of some of the things that happened and get them straight in my head rather than just give in to the pernicious propaganda pumped out by our increasingly shrill and right wing press. So in addition to the Wexlerite Col A house photo of 1960 we get a learned comparison of Keynesian and Friedmanite philosophies.
Could be a sign of senioritis! :D I frequently start out looking for a new recipe for shrimp and, 30 minutes later wonder why I am looking at an explanation of how wombats can produce cubical feces.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

LongGone wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:16 pm I frequently start out looking for a new recipe for shrimp and, 30 minutes later wonder why I am looking at an explanation of how wombats can produce cubical feces.
I don't know about prawns (aka shrimp) but there is a wealth of stuff out there. Just counted up and I have all of 124 food sites on my Bookmarks and almost every one is an index!
Just try Pinterest.com. and you will end up learning how to ..... [use your imagination!] after looking up prawns and shrimp. Certainly not the sort of food dumped on Col A in 1960 - nobody told the Superintendent
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I've tried to avoid mentioning people's nicknames up till now but the mention of Hitchcock reminds me that when I first went into Col B (Autumn term 1955) I remember that Paul Fantle and Hitchcock had just joined Col A and were known as Hitchtool and Fancock by their housemates. Finbarr Saunders humour never fails to amuse me I'm afraid.. He's my great hero after WC Fields.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:51 pm I've tried to avoid mentioning people's nicknames up till now but the mention of Hitchcock reminds me that when I first went into Col B (Autumn term 1955) I remember that Paul Fantle and Hitchcock had just joined Col A and were known as Hitchtool and Fancock by their housemates.
After "the incident" no reference was made in my hearing to Paul's previous name; this was a very clear instruction to everybody. Apart from roll call he was simply Paul - the only boy that I remember was called by his Christian name.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!