Hertford photos from the sixties

Photos from Hertford

Moderator: Moderators

lonely_wolf
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: Hertford photos from the sixties

Post by lonely_wolf »

You're very kind Alex, I'd like to give you a big hug!
3s visitor 1975
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:A lovely, youthful photo of you, Lonely Wolf although you do look as if you were quite shy. I'm sure Sophie was enchanted :)
Yeah... why couldn't we have smuggled in a boy like Lonely Wolf, Alex?

I reckon that Sophie had excellent taste! Lucky girl.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
lonely_wolf
LE (Little Erasmus)

Hertford photos from the sixties

Post by lonely_wolf »

No doubt Sophie had excellent taste (see photos on "A Girl's School from Outside"), but I've been grievously misleading you to suggest the kiss was anything more than a kind thought to include me when saying goodbye to the 3 of us after the dance.
Last edited by lonely_wolf on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3s visitor 1975
lonely_wolf
LE (Little Erasmus)

A view from Sixes, 40 years on

Post by lonely_wolf »

This was my attempt to reproduce Mary's view from ground level last year:

Original as posted earlier: http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss31 ... _sixes.jpg
3s visitor 1975
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Now don't get carried away, that avatar was 30 odd years ago. He should post and up-to-date one.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Alexandra Thrift wrote: I haven't seen Susan Knight ( I think I'm pushing her along in a wheelbarrow in that pic....possibly Mary,Sue and I shared a garden) for about 35 years.She lived at Herne HIll in those days and was one of my best friends....fiery,passionate,great conversationalist being incredibly plain speaking and honest and very good at sport ( the latter unlike myself )...Along with Siobhan,Mary Mc. and a few others in Sixes, Sue was also an excellent card player.She wasn't afraid of anything...I wonder what happened to her ?

On the Sixes holding up the cup pics Siobhan Kierans (small and dark and VERY sporty) features along with another talented girl I haven't seen since those days ...Roberta Ayles ( Rounders,swimming...always a winner and an amazing artist ). In one of the "sport" photos Siobhan and I think myself are wearing strange dark all-in-one outfits and it kind of rings a bell....made of veloury material for sport...am I imagining things ? I can see many old Sixes in those pics and can remember the names.
I was bored so having a nostalgia fit. Susan Knight is too common a name to Google (though there is a Lib Dem councillor in Burgess Hill) , but do you think this might be Roberta Ayles?

http://www.aylesglass.com/
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

englishangel wrote: I was bored so having a nostalgia fit. Susan Knight is too common a name to Google (though there is a Lib Dem councillor in Burgess Hill) , but do you think this might be Roberta Ayles?

http://www.aylesglass.com/
I seem to remember that Roberta was from Cornwall. Or was is someone else in Sixes? Launceston?

Mary Mc and I tried to track Susan down last year: no! Two years ago - with no success, unfortunately.

Susan! If you sometimes sneak on as a guest, there are people that would love to catch up, even if only in cyberspace :)
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

This looks just like something that Berta would do. And not far away from me!

I still feel dreadful that I participated in the making of a Salt Bed for Susan Knight. How mean. How horrid of me.

The velour jumpsuits! First they were in white, for the Tennis V1s. I absolutely loved mine (size 16). I must have looked enormous in it, :oops: :oops: :oops:, but they were wonderfully comfortable compared with the unlovely pleated skirts they replaced. The navy version must have been issued after I had left. Now I wish that I had a tennis team photo from those days - but I looked so fat in the picture...

Alison Stilliard was from Launceston. Do I remember girls from far away got to pack in advance at the end of term so that their luggage could be sent ahead of them?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Angela Woodford wrote:This looks just like something that Berta would do. And not far away from me!

I still feel dreadful that I participated in the making of a Salt Bed for Susan Knight. How mean. How horrid of me.

The velour jumpsuits! First they were in white, for the Tennis V1s. I absolutely loved mine (size 16). I must have looked enormous in it, :oops: :oops: :oops:, but they were wonderfully comfortable compared with the unlovely pleated skirts they replaced. The navy version must have been issued after I had left. Now I wish that I had a tennis team photo from those days - but I looked so fat in the picture...

Alison Stilliard was from Launceston. Do I remember girls from far away got to pack in advance at the end of term so that their luggage could be sent ahead of them?
White PE jumpsuits-how impractical!! Grass stains and all kinds of marks : oh dear -that's what came to my mind first! :oops: :) I can only remember the navy blue ones, but tho the colour was good, would have been more flattering with shorts or short skirt. I cannot remember any group photos taken at Hertford at all except those we took ourselves.(Maybe it was only teams that got photos, and I wasn't in any of those :( ) I think the year I was in the LV1, we had individual school photos with professional photographer. Mine not good at all, (typical teenage grimace!) so didn't buy a copy! My luggage always got sent PLA (passenger luggage in advance) as I lived in Dorset, yet didn't 'qualify' to leave end of term mark- reading early, as not classed as a West Country girl. I can clearly remember DR announcing: 'West Country girls can leave now!' and a few lucky ones from Devon, Cornwall and probably Somerset, would troup off.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

If you are still in Dorset, Neill the Notorious is looking for Old Blues from Dorset and West Hampshire - see his post under 'societies etc' or whatever it is called!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Angela Woodford wrote:This looks just like something that Berta would do. And not far away from me!
Seems to be a hotbed of art down there. My sister was down there last summer and came across this artist, http://www.louisedear.com/about.aspx

who turns out to be a long-lost cousin. My sister recognised the name of course and went into the gallery and Louise is a clone of her mother. Louise also recognised my sister.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Susan Knight (if I'm remembering correctly) was married quite young, to Alan Watts, a social worker. Possibly Susan went into social work too. They lived in Hither Green. I'd love to know what happened to her too.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

fra828 wrote:
White PE jumpsuits-how impractical!! Grass stains and all kinds of marks : oh dear -that's what came to my mind first! :oops: :)
I remember being summoned to Nines by SWSNBN, and the white velour zip-up jumpsuit and skirt being given to me in a polythene bag - the tennis team all had to be fitted with them, and very nice they looked. We only wore them for interschool matches. Sternly, we were instructed to squeeze them out in soapflakes and dry them flat on our slats in the Airing Room, before returning them to Nines. No question of getting any sort of mark on them!

It's the item of CH clothing that I'd happily wear today - bright white suits me, and the stretchy fabric was fun to wear as I bounced up and down at the net.

Game, set and match! :D
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Didn't realise you had skirts with them as well! :? Now that sounds better, and as you have said, Angela, must have looked smart and been comfortable. Those navy jumpsuits we wore for PE and sport in general- did we wear shorts/skirt with them? Perhaps someone will remember...
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

In the winter we wore our navy tunics over the top, but in summer we just wore them on their own.