Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Hertford and girls from the 70s

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

fra828
Grecian

Re: Hertford and girls from the 70s

Post by fra828 »

Kim these are great photos! Was wondering about the 1975 and '77 groups with Miss Tucker, I left in 1973, and some of those faces look so familiar-it would be interesting to put names to them.
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

How does one label them?
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

I have a TERRIBLE memory for names, but - for the 1977 one - starting at the back row on th left:

Sally Knatchbull-Hugessen; ?Sally Ashenden?; ?????; Becky Ripley; Esther Polonezer; ??Jenny?????;??Caroline????:Felicity??; Barbara Jones; Kate Donovan; Magdalen Mothersole
Middle row L-R:
Carol Breadmore; Hilary?; ????: Jane ?Roscrow?; Liz Biddulph; Kim Langdon; Rachel ??; Lynn Ford; Cathy?: Claire Gathard
Front row L-R:
Sarah Tilley; Amanda Froshaug; Pauline Gaved; Melanie Newbury; Miss Tucker; ?Hilary?; Leda Trotman; Maureen Connor; ?Charlotte Lycett?
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Thanks, recognize a few now! Didn't Barbara have a twin sister, Wendy in 8's, and possibly an older sister ?Janet?
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

fra828 wrote:Thanks, recognize a few now! Didn't Barbara have a twin sister, Wendy in 8's, and possibly an older sister ?Janet?
Yes (Wendy was in 8s and Janet was in 7s) - and an older brother at Housey - {Geraint} Aylwyn Jones. They also had a younger brother, Philip, I think - but he didn't go to CH.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Kim2s70-77 wrote:I have a TERRIBLE memory for names, but - for the 1977 one - starting at the back row on th left:

Sally Knatchbull-Hugessen; ?Sally Ashenden?; ?????; Becky Ripley; Esther Polonezer; ??Jenny?????;??Caroline????:Felicity??; Barbara Jones; Kate Donovan; Magdalen Mothersole
Middle row L-R:
Carol Breadmore; Hilary?; ????: Jane ?Roscrow?; Liz Biddulph; Kim Langdon; Rachel ??; Lynn Ford; Cathy?: Claire Gathard
Front row L-R:
Sarah Tilley; Amanda Froshaug; Pauline Gaved; Melanie Newbury; Miss Tucker; ?Hilary?; Leda Trotman; Maureen Connor; ?Charlotte Lycett?
Jenny in the back row is Jenny Moss. Isn't Rachel in the middle row Rachel Shepheard-Walwyn? She had an older sister, Lois. Hilary in the front row - ?Hilary Jones? And I think you are correct that front right is Charlie Lycett.

I'll do the 1975 one separately
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

1975 UVI with Miss Tucker.....

Back row, l-r:
Sophie Stones, Toni Robson, Natalie Engelheart, Sherrie Smart, Ghislaine Potts, Becky Sholl, Julia Warne.

Middle row, l-r:
Sheila Woods, Pervin Patel, Jo Sidebottom, Sheridan Chaffe, Judi Osborne, Carole Parsons, Jacqui Pope, Nina Morgan, Stella Bland.

Front row, l-r:
Veronica Trevor, Catherine Sketchley, Jane Beadle, Karen Dewdney, Miss Tucker, Jane Freebody, Clare Blakeway-Phillips, Franny Hayman, Jane Townsend.

I've kept in touch with Jane Townsend (now Conen) since leaving school, but through her - and thanks to the reunions at the museum a couple of years ago - I have also seen Becky, Julia, Sheila, Judi, Nina, Stella, Veronica, Jane B, Karen, and Clare. Sheila Woods (now Pollard) had her two boys at Horsham, I think the younger one left just a year or two ago.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Maybe Lynn can fill in the blanks from 1977??
lonely_wolf
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by lonely_wolf »

Thanks Kim, seeing Sophie and Toni on the 1975 photo has made my day. I think I might have met the Clare on this picture too, I remember someone of that name and approximate looks coming into little dorm while I was there.

What's with the spotty blouses though, I thought they were striped?

For comparison, my photos of S & T in 1975 as previously posted on the "A Girl's School from Outside" topic:

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss31 ... 5/toni.jpg
http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss31 ... sophie.jpg
http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss31 ... d_toni.jpg

Kim's photo of S & T (top left) masquerading as schoolgirls:
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac11 ... 411744.jpg
3s visitor 1975
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Great pictures! Is that Pauline Gaved in the middle of the bottom photo??
lonely_wolf
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by lonely_wolf »

Kim2s70-77 wrote:Great pictures! Is that Pauline Gaved in the middle of the bottom photo??
Thanks again Kim for this suggested identification. I can't remember her name but "Pauline" rings a vague bell. She certainly looks very similar to the Pauline in your 1977 photo, apart from parting her hair differently which I suppose is the sort of thing girls do. I know the "3rd girl" in my picture was not in her last year, though I hadn't realised she was 2 years below. Was Pauline in 3s then? Or friends with Sophie and Toni?
3s visitor 1975
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Yep - Pauline was in 3's. It probably is her.
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Jo wrote:1975 UVI with Miss Tucker.....

Back row, l-r:
Sophie Stones, Toni Robson, Natalie Engelheart, Sherrie Smart, Ghislaine Potts, Becky Sholl, Julia Warne.

Middle row, l-r:
Sheila Woods, Pervin Patel, Jo Sidebottom, Sheridan Chaffe, Judi Osborne, Carole Parsons, Jacqui Pope, Nina Morgan, Stella Bland.

Front row, l-r:
Veronica Trevor, Catherine Sketchley, Jane Beadle, Karen Dewdney, Miss Tucker, Jane Freebody, Clare Blakeway-Phillips, Franny Hayman, Jane Townsend.

I've kept in touch with Jane Townsend (now Conen) since leaving school, but through her - and thanks to the reunions at the museum a couple of years ago - I have also seen Becky, Julia, Sheila, Judi, Nina, Stella, Veronica, Jane B, Karen, and Clare. Sheila Woods (now Pollard) had her two boys at Horsham, I think the younger one left just a year or two ago.
Wow you have great memory Jo! And it was good to hear you have seen with so many quite recently. Hard to believe it was 35 years ago this photo was taken!
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Kim2s70-77 wrote:I have a TERRIBLE memory for names, but - for the 1977 one - starting at the back row on th left:

Middle row L-R:
Front row L-R:
Kim, Is it Felicity Burchill, who was 3yrs below me in 8's? Caroline?? Have been racking my brains! , as she was also in 8's and I just cannot come up her surname, could it have been Wyeth? Was Barbara's twin Wendy not in photo?