Hertford photos

Photos from Hertford

Moderator: Moderators

Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Mary, what do you take for your memory ? Can I have some ....?
( there are days when I can't even remember who I am, let alone people I went to school with 30-odd years ago !) Bravo...
B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

It can be a burden too.

Remember all the rubbish stuff but nothing useful for nowadays.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Vonny wrote:
englishangel wrote:
I didn't know that about 8's. So they reduced the number of girls before the move and then had to build the number back up afterwards?
They did reduce the number of girls but I'm not really sure why as the object over the following years was to increase the female pupils. I do remember the announcment being made that it would be 8's that closed - a lot of the girls were upset. They obviously split the girls from 8's into the other houses. In my year we had 2 from 8's so that made 6 of us in total but then another girls from 3's requested a move to 2's so in the end there were 7 of us. I can't even remember what year this happened now - either 1982 or 1983 I reckon.
It started before you joined CH Vonny - I think my leaving year (1980)was the last one to have a full house at 8's, As the boys accomodation had to be altered to take girls, we had to drop our numbers from 350 to 280 pupils, the boys had to drop I think about 100, after the merger and the sale of the site, more building work was carried out (and still is??) for "Girls houses" as Hertford had had all age houses, whereas Horsham had Junior and Senior houses. Now they are trying to get the level of girls to boys ratio more even hence the increase - I think it's because the girls who went from Hertford to CH and those since have moved more and more to the Boys uniform, and proved that integration is better. It's a well known fact that girls do better at mixed sex schools, but boys sadly do worse (Blame it on the hormones guys!!)
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Jude wrote: As the boys accomodation had to be altered to take girls, we had to drop our numbers from 350 to 280 pupils, the boys had to drop I think about 100,
Don't know who taught you arithmetic Jude - we were never as many as 350. It was nominally 36 in each house with 6 in the flat giving 294. Some houses sometimes went over the 36 but I don't think it ever reached 350.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Katharine wrote:
Jude wrote: As the boys accomodation had to be altered to take girls, we had to drop our numbers from 350 to 280 pupils, the boys had to drop I think about 100,
Don't know who taught you arithmetic Jude - we were never as many as 350. It was nominally 36 in each house with 6 in the flat giving 294. Some houses sometimes went over the 36 but I don't think it ever reached 350.
We have been through this in another thread.... How come I was 5.38?? I was a new number and that was before 8's was closed or the school went towards the merger.. I can remember others coming an getting higher numbers than me as well... we had 40 in 5's before 8's was closed -
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

OK Jude, I accept that after my time the numbers grew. To reach 350 it would need an averageof 43 or 44 in each house and I would have thought that very overcrowded. Where would they all sleep? We had 16 in each dorm, there could easily have been one more bed each side where the fireplaces were. Did the Maid's Room (above the Housemistress's bedroom) become a regular bedroom?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Katharine wrote:Did the Maid's Room (above the Housemistress's bedroom) become a regular bedroom?
If 6's was the same as 2's then the room above the house mistresses flat became a bedroom for 3. There was also the house captians room plus 8 QBs so there was room for about 20 on the 2nd floor. No idea how many of us there were in the dorm but as I said before - there were 7 of us in my year - I don't recall any year having any less than 4 per year per house.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

upstairs in 5's (perhaps because it had been a junior house) we had more dorms as well as the cubies.. a dorm or 5 or 6 avove the housemistress's flat, 2 in a room next to the toilets with the glass doors (again over the housemistress,, the head of house was above the linnen cupboard - opposite the bathroom upstairs, which could and did take 2... I don't know what the exact figure for each house was just before the closure started, but while I was there we were still taking in more girls.. How this worked in other houses I don't know, but I recall that numbers were approx. 350 and had to be reduced to 280 - it was a huge shock at the time - we were asked what sort of uniforms the girls should wear - talk about clashes! There was everyting from the Susanah Image to the boys uniform, although strangely enough not that many of us were that keen - I think it was the canary yellow socks, but as 5's girls pointed out we had been wearing canary yellow games socks all our lives at CH!
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

I remember back in 1976 a group of us spent 6 weeks planning a visit to Hertford to see how the other half lived but the scheme was discovered when one of us was just stupid enough to ask a master for directions.
We all got double detentions, made to write essays on the evils of being horny and given extra bromine in our tea ( that part was a rumour never substantiated).
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

soc wrote:I remember back in 1976 a group of us spent 6 weeks planning a visit to Hertford to see how the other half lived but the scheme was discovered when one of us was just stupid enough to ask a master for directions.
We all got double detentions, made to write essays on the evils of being horny and given extra bromine in our tea ( that part was a rumour never substantiated).

Oh dear I am laughing too hard to type!! You had to ask for directions! Oh dear!!! how is your geography these days?
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

isnt that what satnav is for?
Beaky Eagle gave me a hatred of geography that has lasted to this day!
Looking back I really can't believe how sad we were. We had decided to wear black ski masks so that we wouldn't be recognised. Trouble is that we were going to wear housey while we journeyed to Hertford, that way you girls would know we were nice boys. Damn we were truely stupid.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

soc wrote:We had decided to wear black ski masks so that we wouldn't be recognised.
:shock:
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

I never said we were smart now did I?
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

soc wrote:I never said we were smart now did I?
True! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I am so GLAD i do not have a web cam!!!!!!!!! I am laughing so much I nearly fell of the chair - just how did you think you wre going to get to Hertford???? Did you never listen to My fair lady - or read Pygmaylion???

In Hertford, Hereford and Hampshire, Hurricaines Hardly Ever Happen

well you lived near Hampshire, we lived in Hertford, and Hereford is above where I am now!

Black SKI MASKS???? you would have been arrested before you got as far as the town centre!
:roll: :lol: