Hertford photos

Photos from Hertford

Moderator: Moderators

UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

Well lets just say we didn't know what the hell we were doing! It sounded romantic to us, I think I even suggested that we took a few boxes of black magic with us to prove our intentions were semi honourable. :lol:
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

only SEMI HONOURABLE???????????

Black ski masks, boxes of black magic - who would you have given them too?? you would have arrived to the avenue with 8 houses to choose from!!!

sad boys!! :shock:
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Not exactly sad, just boys that the bromine hadn't worked on. Hot damn 8 houses! We would have been like pigs in clover with tongues hanging out!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Oh what wonderful images to wake too, I'm facing a day of inputting data at work all day, the image of full Housey, black ski masks and, of course Black Magic, will haunt me I am sure!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

I hope the images got you through a tough day, it is kind of embarrassing to remember just how dumb we were!
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

This thread is the best giggle I have had all week--thanks guys
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

soc wrote:I hope the images got you through a tough day, it is kind of embarrassing to remember just how dumb we were!
Thanks Sean, they did! There were too many errors on the data for my liking and I did not get as much done as I should have, but every so often I thought of the gallant hero with the Black Magic! Thanks for the laugh!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

soc wrote:I remember back in 1976 a group of us spent 6 weeks planning a visit to Hertford to see how the other half lived but the scheme was discovered when one of us was just stupid enough to ask a master for directions.
We all got double detentions, made to write essays on the evils of being horny and given extra bromine in our tea ( that part was a rumour never substantiated).
For heavens sake,

There was a girls boarding school (11 to 18 years of age) about 20 minutes bike ride from Housie with a convenient empty house in the grounds surrounded by trees and easily reached and entered unobserved .......

Didn't you know????? (or was it too well protected?)
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

sejintenej wrote:
soc wrote:I remember back in 1976 a group of us spent 6 weeks planning a visit to Hertford to see how the other half lived but the scheme was discovered when one of us was just stupid enough to ask a master for directions.
We all got double detentions, made to write essays on the evils of being horny and given extra bromine in our tea ( that part was a rumour never substantiated).
For heavens sake,

There was a girls boarding school (11 to 18 years of age) about 20 minutes bike ride from Housie with a convenient empty house in the grounds surrounded by trees and easily reached and entered unobserved .......

Oh we knew alright. Trouble is it was, how can I put this, a pretty well worn path by then. We wanted pastures new and we thought this would be like something out of an old Errol Flynn film and the girls would just love it! Like I say, it is embarrassing to think of it now!
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

My ribs ache!!! Thanks Sean! oh dear - yes Katharine I can imagine the data entry - I get confused these days just writing let alone trying to ttype on the pc!
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

sejintenej wrote:
For heavens sake,

Anyway, the bike I had was fitted with what felt like razor blades for a saddle. Had I actually arrived at the boarding school you mentioned, I would have useless for anything except imitating John Wayne and singing like Jimmy Somerville!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Funny you should mention the bike. My parents bought me a new bike when I passed the 11 plus, and got into CH, as they had read that pupils could take bikes to the school.

Not to Hertford you couldn't. I suppose we didn't have room in the grounds and we were right in the town centre so couldn't cycle in the countryside around.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

englishangel wrote:Funny you should mention the bike. My parents bought me a new bike when I passed the 11 plus, and got into CH, as they had read that pupils could take bikes to the school.

Not to Hertford you couldn't. I suppose we didn't have room in the grounds and we were right in the town centre so couldn't cycle in the countryside around.
I got a "Raleigh Shopper" for my 11th birthday..... I was so ashamed of it! (still am!) I was allowed to take my guinea pig to school - Goodness knows how I got her and all my luggage from Angmering Station to Victoria, across to Liverpool street and then to Hertford East... it makes youngsters of today who never go anywhere unless it is by car look so lazy!!!

My daughter was allowed her guinea pigs at boarding school as well....
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My bike was a dark grey one, very smart, and replace the one we had bought for 10 bob in a jumble sale when I was 8.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

mine was purple.....
enuff said?!