Sentence of Peter Webb referred to Court of Appeal

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

AMP
Deputy Grecian

Re: Sentence of Peter Webb referred to Court of Appeal

Post by AMP »

bakunin wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:01 am
AMP wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:24 pm
He said he couldn't remember most of the offences but could remember not offending for 5 years?

Most people remember sexual contacts when they have lived and worked together.
Why? Drink. Or a defence strategy (?)
If he genuinely couldn't remember the incidents then there must have been a lot.

I suspect he looked at the dates of the crimes he was charged with and noticed a five year gap, so useful mitigation.

I am guessing that he was offending and that victims during that period haven't come forward

These types only ever admit to what they have been caught for, as he did first time around in 2015
Last edited by AMP on Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

DazedandConfused wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:12 am
bakunin wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:59 pm Can we get back to the matter at hand instead of resurrecting an off-topic dispute from last year? AMP just made some interesting comments.
Agreed. I can’t find the transcript though, Google has failed me. Can a link be provided as the documents are in the public domain?
https://www.chforum.info/docs/WebbTranscript.pdf

https://www.chforum.info/docs/BurrTranscript.pdf
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I cannot find any press report of Webb's Court appearance in 2015.

Can anyone point me to anything?
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

AMP wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:43 am
DazedandConfused wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:12 am
bakunin wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:59 pm Can we get back to the matter at hand instead of resurrecting an off-topic dispute from last year? AMP just made some interesting comments.
Agreed. I can’t find the transcript though, Google has failed me. Can a link be provided as the documents are in the public domain?
https://www.chforum.info/docs/WebbTranscript.pdf

https://www.chforum.info/docs/BurrTranscript.pdf
Thank you so much.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

AMP wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:35 am
bakunin wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:01 am
AMP wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:24 pm
He said he couldn't remember most of the offences but could remember not offending for 5 years?

Most people remember sexual contacts when they have lived and worked together.
Why? Drink. Or a defence strategy (?)
If he genuinely couldn't remember the incidents then there must have been a lot.

I suspect he looked at the dates of the crimes he was charged with and noticed a five year gap, so useful mitigation.

I am guessing that he was offending and that victims during that period haven't come forward

These types only ever admit to what they have been caught for, as he did first time around in 2015
Hmmm...you say that but 5 years is not an insignificant amount of time with no one having come forward. The case with Dobbie, for example, with the seeming hiatus in offences between c.1990 and c.1998 springs to mind. Or Martin with the one black mark next to his name, even though he was a teacher/housemaster etc over a c. 30 year period. It's hard to come up with definitive conclusions when it comes to patterns of offending.
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

Lengths of time without offending (if indeed there wasn’t any offending) happen for reasons such as your access to victims or habitual means of offending becoming blocked or restricted, being in a new relationship or some other life/family event that gives you a new perspective (or leaves you with no time/opportunity to offend), being spooked by almost being caught (or seeing a “success story” colleague caught and sent on his way to other schools with references...), etc.

As Webb and Dobbie’s examples show, these kinds of offenders often go back to their old ways after getting bored or finding the temptation too much (sex is the most powerful drug and leads people to offend even though they’re fully aware that being caught will destroy their lives). Or alternatively, perhaps they were offending all along and some victims haven’t come forward.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Otter wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:15 am Lengths of time without offending (if indeed there wasn’t any offending) happen for reasons such as your access to victims or habitual means of offending becoming blocked or restricted, being in a new relationship or some other life/family event that gives you a new perspective (or leaves you with no time/opportunity to offend), being spooked by almost being caught (or seeing a “success story” colleague caught and sent on his way to other schools with references...), etc.

As Webb and Dobbie’s examples show, these kinds of offenders often go back to their old ways after getting bored or finding the temptation too much (sex is the most powerful drug and leads people to offend even though they’re fully aware that being caught will destroy their lives). Or alternatively, perhaps they were offending all along and some victims haven’t come forward.
As a (past) juror I cannot see any relevance to the existence of apparently crime free time. He was found guilty so he should serve the sentence appropriate to the crimes at the time they were committed. (I modify that last clause with the observation, (now almost out of date anyway) that a hanging sentence should be modified to total absolute solo life in prison.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!