Husband & Dobbie - VERDICTS

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

richardb
Forum Moderator

Re: Husband & Dobbie - VERDICTS

Post by richardb »

Golfer wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:38 pm
richardb wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:30 pm Why do you say that? Are you Fleming?
That's not even worthy of a response.
The advantage I have is that I have years of listening to prosecution openings. If Fleming passed the information on then the jury would have been told, otherwise the jury would have been misled.

So far you haven't said how you know the Fleming passed the information on. Do share.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

yamaha wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:38 pm
All three members of the leadership team admitted failures when it came to Karim.
Yet it was reported that he was given glowing references.
Precisely. They swept it under the carpet, persuaded the victim not press charges and sent him off with glowing references to work with children again.

I have no desire for a witch hunt, but the reporting of Dobbie and Husband’s trials didn’t give the details of witness testimonies from Poulton et al (if indeed they were called as witnesses) that the reporting of Karim’s did, so people have unanswered questions.

Tim- I imagine it’s as difficult for you to see ex-colleagues convicted as it is for Old Blues to see their ex-teachers convicted, especially with so much anger and speculation abound.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

richardb wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:15 pm
Golfer wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:13 pm Look - I am not seeking to justify stuff that happened. All I am saying is that I am very confident that Neil Fleming will have done the right thing in the context of the time.
What do you say was the right thing?
Tell management
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

If Fleming took appropriate action, which still somehow resulted in nothing being none, given he is the only current member of staff at the school and married to the current Deputy Head who (I think) covers Safeguarding, then it might be sensible for the school to say that? The other possibility is of course that they can't say that because it didn't happen (and they would be found out for the lie).
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

It needs pointing out that his wife was not in charge of safeguarding at the time.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

Do not all the staff have a "safeguarding" duty?
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Golfer wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:02 pm It needs pointing out that his wife was not in charge of safeguarding at the time.
The first point of safeguarding is the house masters.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

It must be very reassuring to parents to see people on here splitting hairs about who has a duty to report pedophilia to the police.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

yamaha wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:06 pm Do not all the staff have a "safeguarding" duty?
Yes. This is a recent obligation.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I think you will find in due course that the judge will take a different view from you.

In a boarding school staff are in loco parents and each member of staff owes the same duty of care.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

yamaha wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:24 pm It must be very reassuring to parents to see people on here splitting hairs about who has a duty to report pedophilia to the police.
It is very clear now that everyone on the CH site has that duty, There is no question about it.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

My god! Are you a member of staff?

It has always been the moral obligation of decent people to report such crimes to the police in order to prevent the perpetrators from continuing their activities.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Everyone has ALWAYS had that duty. You seem to be saying that you didn't know that which I find breathtaking.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

yamaha wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:32 pm
My god! Are you a member of staff?

It has always been the moral obligation of decent people to report such crimes to the police in order to prevent the perpetrators from continuing their activities.
A member of staff has always owed a duty of care to pupils in their care. Except at CH apparently.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

Of course I would have reported such crimes had I known of them.