Bishop Peter Ball and Christ's Hospital

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Bishop Peter Ball and Christ's Hospital

Post by michael scuffil »

robert totterdell wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:37 pm Peter Ball originally was a monk of his and his brothers own order, down in Sussex. He became Bishop of Lewis. He was not 'a favourite of the later Bishop of Chichester' although he had been with the previous. He ran a strange institution (with his brother (twin)) and various schools (public) used him to help children with certain boarding school difficulties such as 'homesickness'.

CH under headmasters Seaman and Newsome (and others) allowed pupils to spend time at his 'retreat' where the regime was harsh, no, very harsh. At that point, no one officially knew he was a Paedophile - that is other than those who sent pupils to him.
He ran his monastic order from 1960 to 1977, i.e. during the time of Seaman (till 1970) and Newsome. I can understand that Newsome will have had some sympathy with him (ecclesiastically), but Seaman was very different in this regard. So when you say 'under ... Seaman' CH allowed pupils ...., how much of this was Seaman, and how much the chaplain (Robson, I think)?

I imagine the 'previous' Bp of Chichester, of whom he was a favourite, was Roger Wilson, who himself was a favourite of the entire establishment, including the royal family. I gather Ball was also well connected.

Incidentally Ball's twin brother Michael was also a bishop, of Truro. Not himself accused of sexual offences, he was criticized for not investigating them in his diocese more forcefully. A rum pair, indeed.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
robert totterdell
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Bishop Peter Ball and Christ's Hospital

Post by robert totterdell »

I should have included Newsome, you are right. Very many have concerns, misgivings, suspicions with regards to Robson and his relationship with Newsome.

The Common room (and its culture) has come up in my investigations time and again.

And so has the Tube - more recently.

Can't say much more at this point - you are right about Truro.