Letter to the Head Master

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15825
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: Letter to the Head Master

Post by J.R. »

Approaching the BBC (EDIT: This was meant to say BSB) sounds a very good idea to me.

It would be very interesting to know their reaction given the subject for the request.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian
Posts: 3919
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:19 pm
Real Name: David Brown ColA '52-'61
Location: Essex

Re: Letter to the Head Master

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:49 am Approaching the BBC sounds a very good idea to me.

It would be very interesting to know their reaction given the subject for the request.
Softlee softlee catchee monkey. I would start to involve the BBC, ITV etc. only if we suspect that the school is dragging it's feet; going in with all guns blazing is likely to have them bring up the barriers and make life even more difficult.
Common sense is not as common as you would think. (K Kindle)
User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15825
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: Letter to the Head Master

Post by J.R. »

I meant B S B. Not BBC.

Bl**dy predictive text.

On the other hand, though..... (Thinks...)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
LHA
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:35 pm
Real Name: Charles Henry

Re: Letter to the Head Master

Post by LHA »

Richard - over two years ago now - did you ever receive a reply to this letter?
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:38 am
Real Name: Adam
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: Letter to the Head Master

Post by adlop »

Any update on this letter? I don't know how I missed it back in 2018 but it is the kind of letter I have been keen to write for some time, especially the points about Webb's dismissal and Baker's letter.
Barnes B / Mid A
sejintenej
Button Grecian
Posts: 3919
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:19 pm
Real Name: David Brown ColA '52-'61
Location: Essex

Re: Letter to the Head Master

Post by sejintenej »

Today's "message from the Head Teacher" concludes:
In the immediate future, and in the specific context of the ‘Everyone’s Invited’ awareness-raising campaign, the School is aware that Old Blues may have issues that they wish to address relating to their time at CH. Anyone who would like to have a conversation should be in touch. With this in mind, please do contact the School by emailing hmsec@christs-hospital.org.uk. We are here to support you.

The Head Teacher cannot not be aware of the estimate of 100 Old Blues in that category most of whom have not "come out". Given that fact how can they write Old Blues MAY have issues . Given the apparent outcome of discussions to date I have to wonder at the ultimate phrase.
Common sense is not as common as you would think. (K Kindle)
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 pm
Real Name: RTroni

Re: Letter to the Head Master

Post by Pe.A »

sejintenej wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:44 am Today's "message from the Head Teacher" concludes:
In the immediate future, and in the specific context of the ‘Everyone’s Invited’ awareness-raising campaign, the School is aware that Old Blues may have issues that they wish to address relating to their time at CH. Anyone who would like to have a conversation should be in touch. With this in mind, please do contact the School by emailing hmsec@christs-hospital.org.uk. We are here to support you.

The Head Teacher cannot not be aware of the estimate of 100 Old Blues in that category most of whom have not "come out". Given that fact how can they write Old Blues MAY have issues . Given the apparent outcome of discussions to date I have to wonder at the ultimate phrase.
Just curious - but from where are you getting the "estimate of 100 Old Blues in that category"...?
sejintenej
Button Grecian
Posts: 3919
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:19 pm
Real Name: David Brown ColA '52-'61
Location: Essex

Re: Letter to the Head Master

Post by sejintenej »

Pe.A wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:29 pm
sejintenej wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:44 am
The Head Teacher cannot not be aware of the estimate of 100 Old Blues in that category most of whom have not "come out". Given that fact how can they write Old Blues MAY have issues . Given the apparent outcome of discussions to date I have to wonder at the ultimate phrase.
Just curious - but from where are you getting the "estimate of 100 Old Blues in that category"...?
Posted here some while ago by an OB very closely involved
Common sense is not as common as you would think. (K Kindle)
AMP
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:15 pm
Real Name: Amp

Re: Letter to the Head Master

Post by AMP »

sejintenej wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:03 pm
Pe.A wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:29 pm
sejintenej wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:44 am
The Head Teacher cannot not be aware of the estimate of 100 Old Blues in that category most of whom have not "come out". Given that fact how can they write Old Blues MAY have issues . Given the apparent outcome of discussions to date I have to wonder at the ultimate phrase.
Just curious - but from where are you getting the "estimate of 100 Old Blues in that category"...?
Posted here some while ago by an OB very closely involved
About 342* severe cases from 1949 - 2019 perpetrated by about 28* staff, including some peer on peer, can be fairly confidently accounted for.

89* including teacher on young male/female employee since 2001* and all but about 46* since 1969*.

(
*ADMIN NOTE, added 21/4/21: I am worried this could become "fake news", when in fact these numbers are extrapolations and maybe speculation. Thus it's important to note the following:
The police have confirmed on several occasions now that they have received NO criminal allegations in relation to offences more recent than than the former Chaplain’s 2001 offence. They have no knowledge of any allegations of offences against employees.

AMP - If you have ANY information to share, please do contact the police with whatever you have. Jacqui Duggan at CH is also open to being contacted directly to discuss any factual information regarding what the police and school and are aware of, as she's remained very close to all the cases and investigations throughout. The numbers above do NOT tally with any numbers the school are aware of - the criminal cases involved six former staff who have been convicted of a total of 87 offences against 27 victims between 1969 and 2001, all of which is in the public domain.
)


And then there are other categories of abuse, which when estimated and extrapolated dwarf those figures.

There is a lack of acknowledgement and "it couldn't happen again" is what has perpetuated this.

About time those in charge of children are compelled to report.
sejintenej
Button Grecian
Posts: 3919
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:19 pm
Real Name: David Brown ColA '52-'61
Location: Essex

Re: Letter to the Head Master

Post by sejintenej »

AMP wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:48 pm
sejintenej wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:03 pm
Pe.A wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:29 pm
Posted here some while ago by an OB very closely involved
About 342* severe cases from 1949 - 2019 perpetrated by about 28* staff, including some peer on peer, can be fairly confidently accounted for.

89* including teacher on young male/female employee since 2001* and all but about 46* since 1969*.

(
*ADMIN NOTE, added 21/4/21: I am worried this could become "fake news", when in fact these numbers are extrapolations and maybe speculation. Thus it's important to note the following:
The police have confirmed on several occasions now that they have received NO criminal allegations in relation to offences more recent than than the former Chaplain’s 2001 offence. They have no knowledge of any allegations of offences against employees.

AMP - If you have ANY information to share, please do contact the police with whatever you have. Jacqui Duggan at CH is also open to being contacted directly to discuss any factual information regarding what the police and school and are aware of, as she's remained very close to all the cases and investigations throughout. The numbers above do NOT tally with any numbers the school are aware of - the criminal cases involved six former staff who have been convicted of a total of 87 offences against 27 victims between 1969 and 2001, all of which is in the public domain.
)


And then there are other categories of abuse, which when estimated and extrapolated dwarf those figures.

There is a lack of acknowledgement and "it couldn't happen again" is what has perpetuated this.

About time those in charge of children are compelled to report.
I am going to guess that these figures are sexual abuse - far in excess of the figure I remembered.

As to "other categories" are you referring to beatings which, in my day, were nationwide accepted as normal? Indeed borstals were notorious for floggings and on the Isle of Man floggings were a punishment requiring subsequent medical attention doled out by the courts of law.

Have these figures been presented to the school and has it acknowledged receipt?

Teacher on EMPLOYEE????? wow - that is a new one and I assume you are careful to not write student/pupil ? I see that there were 43* (ADMIN: See above) such cases between 1949 (I assume) and 2001* (ADMIN: See above) which is a period covering many here. From your figures the rate per annum has doubled in this century!
Common sense is not as common as you would think. (K Kindle)
AMP
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:15 pm
Real Name: Amp

Re: Letter to the Head Master

Post by AMP »

89/342* since 2001* and 46/342* from 1949-1969*

(
*ADMIN NOTE, added 21/4/21: I am worried this could become "fake news", when in fact these numbers are extrapolations and maybe speculation. Thus it's important to note the following:
The police have confirmed on several occasions now that they have received NO criminal allegations in relation to offences more recent than than the former Chaplain’s 2001 offence. They have no knowledge of any allegations of offences against employees.

AMP - If you have ANY information to share, please do contact the police with whatever you have. Jacqui Duggan at CH is also open to being contacted directly to discuss any factual information regarding what the police and school and are aware of, as she's remained very close to all the cases and investigations throughout. The numbers above do NOT tally with any numbers the school are aware of - the criminal cases involved six former staff who have been convicted of a total of 87 offences against 27 victims between 1969 and 2001, all of which is in the public domain.
)


I am sure the school knows and probably more.

Not my figures but same trusted and reliable source you reference.

Therefore I will not try and define other categories - it's all bad - but would include sexual harrassment.

There is a house photo with one of the convicted abusers and somebody circled 16 boys for the police.

So if anybody thinks the numbers are exaggerated....
AMP
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:15 pm
Real Name: Amp

Re: Letter to the Head Master

Post by AMP »

The Admin Note has been amended since it was first inserted this morning.

I can only speculate as to who provided the draft, but I have a pretty good idea.

At the bottom, below this section:

"The numbers above do NOT tally with any numbers the school are aware of - the criminal cases involved six former staff who have been convicted of a total of 87 offences against 27 victims between 1969 and 2001, all of which is in the public domain."
)

was a paragraph which to the best of my recollection went as follows:

"Of course, there may have been, due to the culture at the time, offences committed before 1969 for which no prosecutions have been brought because the alleged perpetrators are now deceased"

What sort of statement is that?
User avatar
jtaylor
Forum Administrator
Posts: 1858
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:32 am
Real Name: Julian Taylor
Location: Wantage, OXON
Contact:

Re: Letter to the Head Master

Post by jtaylor »

The comments were paraphrased from factual information from the police and from the school, and were added and edited by me.

Of course there may be other unreported cases, either because there are those who do not wish to come forward, do not wish to make formal allegations to the police, or sadly are deceased.

I’m not sure what your point is??
It’s very important that this forum does not become a source of speculation or fake news, whilst also providing an environment for support and factual sharing of information.
Portraying estimates and extrapolations as facts doesn’t engender that type of environment, thus my admin addition to the posts above.

I reserve the right to remove posts completely - instead I chose to annotate to make it clear that the facts differ from what was portrayed.

I hope you understand therefore what’s been done, and why, and thus ensure future posts are clear and less ambiguous or potentially misleading.

Thanks.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Image
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
http://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
harryh
UF (Upper Fourth)
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:27 pm
Real Name: Howard Holdsworth

Re: Letter to the Head Master

Post by harryh »

jtaylor wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:18 pm The comments were paraphrased from factual information from the police and from the school, and were added and edited by me.

Of course there may be other unreported cases, either because there are those who do not wish to come forward, do not wish to make formal allegations to the police, or sadly are deceased.

I’m not sure what your point is??
It’s very important that this forum does not become a source of speculation or fake news, whilst also providing an environment for support and factual sharing of information.
Portraying estimates and extrapolations as facts doesn’t engender that type of environment, thus my admin addition to the posts above.

I reserve the right to remove posts completely - instead I chose to annotate to make it clear that the facts differ from what was portrayed.

I hope you understand therefore what’s been done, and why, and thus ensure future posts are clear and less ambiguous or potentially misleading.

Thanks.

J
Well said, sir.
AMP
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:15 pm
Real Name: Amp

Re: Letter to the Head Master

Post by AMP »

harryh wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:12 pm
jtaylor wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:18 pm The comments were paraphrased from factual information from the police and from the school, and were added and edited by me.

Of course there may be other unreported cases, either because there are those who do not wish to come forward, do not wish to make formal allegations to the police, or sadly are deceased.

I’m not sure what your point is??
It’s very important that this forum does not become a source of speculation or fake news, whilst also providing an environment for support and factual sharing of information.
Portraying estimates and extrapolations as facts doesn’t engender that type of environment, thus my admin addition to the posts above.

I reserve the right to remove posts completely - instead I chose to annotate to make it clear that the facts differ from what was portrayed.

I hope you understand therefore what’s been done, and why, and thus ensure future posts are clear and less ambiguous or potentially misleading.

Thanks.

J
Well said, sir.
Your comments about fake news are noted and understood.

I thought you had been asked to post the original and then amended Admin note.Therefore the sentence attributing sex abuse to the culture of the day, coupled with the earlier discussion on the thread made me see red. But you removed it quickly. These things happen.

I would love to respond to the usual suspect who has gleefully jumped on this, but I won't for the aforementioned reason.

Thanks for your post Julian and I will now leave this particular discussion.
Post Reply