Dobbie's departure

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Dobbie's departure

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Golfer wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:19 pm
richardb wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:17 pm It was before 2016. Had the school done something then the police would have been involved earlier.

I am curious about Golfer's knowledge about this as it suggests that he is aware from other sources of the disclosure to the school's child protection officer.

I would be interested to hear what date his sources have told him that that disclosure occurred upon.
I have no knowledge apart from this forum.
Were you aware of an alleged clique which included JH (edit: meant to say "JAH") and GWD?
Unfair of me to ask you and I can understand why you would not want to answer
Worth a try anyway
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

I meant JAH otherwise I'LL be mugged!
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:26 pm I meant JAH otherwise I'LL be mugged!
I got that.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Golfer wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:18 pm
LHA wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 am
I can think of at least 4 reasons why any member of staff would be daft to comment publicly. Bullying would be one. Someone commented that I had spent time in the "ivory tower of Peele A". The first time I actually went into Peele A was to complain to the house master that Peele A boys had commented that squits like me should not be allowed to walk on the Grecians path.
And what response did you get?
William
3rd Former

Post by William »

Who are JAH and GWD?

If the latter is GW Deakin (OB) I find this most strange. GWD seemed to have a very happy family life (including daughter nicknamed “Minnie”), did not leave suddenly but because his most important work (Engineering Grecians) was disbanded. Although he also directed the Manual School it was relatively easy to find a successor for that responsibility. He had an impressive post-CH career in technical education overseas. So if GWD is not Deakin, then this is unfair to his memory. Or am I ignorant? I don’t think so.
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

William wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:53 am Who are JAH and GWD?

If the latter is GW Deakin (OB) I find this most strange. GWD seemed to have a very happy family life (including daughter nicknamed “Minnie”), did not leave suddenly but because his most important work (Engineering Grecians) was disbanded. Although he also directed the Manual School it was relatively easy to find a successor for that responsibility. He had an impressive post-CH career in technical education overseas. So if GWD is not Deakin, then this is unfair to his memory. Or am I ignorant? I don’t think so.
Gary Dobbie and James Andrew Husband
William
3rd Former

Post by William »

Thanks. I'm most relieved concerning George Deakin.

Messrs Husband and Dobbie were at CH long after my time, so I did not know their initials.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

William wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:53 am Who are JAH and GWD?

Husband, Dobbie
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:23 pm Were you aware of an alleged clique which included JH (edit: meant to say "JAH") and GWD?
Happy to answer but it doesn't lead anywhere.
Yes they were friends.
What is a clique? Are two friends a clique? I doubt it.
Obviously there are cliques within schools as there are within any organisation.
Are they harmful? Not necessarily.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Golfer wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:32 pm
CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:23 pm Were you aware of an alleged clique which included JH (edit: meant to say "JAH") and GWD?
Happy to answer but it doesn't lead anywhere.
Yes they were friends.
What is a clique? Are two friends a clique? I doubt it.
Obviously there are cliques within schools as there are within any organisation.
Are they harmful? Not necessarily.
By clique I meant a group of friends > 2

Not suggesting for one moment there is anything wrong with being in a clique
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

"By clique I meant a group of friends > 2"
At the risk of being pedantic (but, hell, why not?) there is a subtle difference between a clique and a group of friends. A clique is a social group of like-minded people who share a common interest and who resent (or even prevent) outsiders from joining unless they share the same interests or background and are invited to join. A group of friends, on the other hand, is much looser and is based on liking for each other and enjoyment of their company.
Thus, for example, in a masters' Common Room a group of Free Masons might form a clique, who tend to sit together, dine at the same time, go off to their meetings together, and so on, and freeze out any non-Masons. A group of friends might be a half-dozen or so who combine to go to watch a rugger match, but otherwise have little to do with each other.

:shock: David
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Foureyes wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:50 am "By clique I meant a group of friends > 2"
At the risk of being pedantic (but, hell, why not?) there is a subtle difference between a clique and a group of friends. A clique is a social group of like-minded people who share a common interest and who resent (or even prevent) outsiders from joining unless they share the same interests or background and are invited to join. A group of friends, on the other hand, is much looser and is based on liking for each other and enjoyment of their company.
Thus, for example, in a masters' Common Room a group of Free Masons might form a clique, who tend to sit together, dine at the same time, go off to their meetings together, and so on, and freeze out any non-Masons. A group of friends might be a half-dozen or so who combine to go to watch a rugger match, but otherwise have little to do with each other.

:shock: David
Yes I will go with your much tighter definition thank you.

I was being lazy as I assumed everyone knew what it meant.

So, I'm still wondering if they were part of a clique?

Care to answer Golfer?
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

Look I didn't even know that Dobbie and Husband were such close friends until the trial.
Until then I would have said that their friendship was based on mutual intellectual interests as much as anything.
There wasn't a clique who met regularly within common room excluding others.
I can't therefore say who was in with whom, in the way you are looking for.
And even if I could, then it would be surely be wrong of me to speculate on this forum, as it would no doubt go off in a defamatory direction.
BTW this isn't me observing a similar omerta to the pupils.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

And what do you say is the pupils omerta Golfer?
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

It has been mentioned in another post on this forum that Dobbie, McCall and Patterson were close friends.