Dobbie's departure

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Dobbie's departure

Post by Golfer »

The disclosure to CH's child protection officer coming more than a decade after Dobbie had left, I believe.

I confess that I don't know what the correct procedure is in such circumstances. A school doesn't have the ability to conduct a full and fair investigation because it can't compel key people to answer questions.

I can't see how the school could have gone public in any way without being guilty of defamation - we are still a country where people are presumed innocent before conviction. In the end, in spite of the long and brutal road for the victim to travel, going through the police and the courts was the best and only way to achieve the outcome she desired i.e. the protection of future potential victims.
Elvie
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Elvie »

Couldn’t the school report a crime and let the police determine the next steps? They called in the police to look for drugs a few times while I was there.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

Golfer wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:31 pm Much to ponder for me and the school, Ross. I wish I had done something to help but I didn't and that's something I have to live with.
In response to CodFlabAndMuck I would say that MidA from the outside seemed a house which was popular with the boys. In addition I had the impression that it came to have tutors who were sympathetic and sensitive, which ought to help guard against abuse by someone in power.
As a housemaster of a girls' house at the other end of the avenue I had little to do with Dobbie and we were probably colleagues rather than friends. But I was shocked at the news of his trial and conviction as I had no inkling of any such issues from MidA - one of the reasons I was pressing on whether there was abuse in the house itself.
I would add that house parents did invariably focus on their own houses as there were still 25 periods to teach as well as running the place and dealing with the myriad issues that cropped up daily.
IIRC my understanding is that the evidence of Dobbie's actual abuse of boys emerged only recently after the publicity surrounding the initial female victim, not from any disclosures at the time or at the time of his departure (which was after I had left).
Well said Tim it is interesting and important to hear your perspective. I dont agree with all you have said on the forum but it is brave and commendable that you have come and posted. Only one of your other former colleagues has done so, who mainly seems to be interested in defending the school now (he is no less horrified by the abuse than the rest of us , but hasn't been able to reflect on how it all happened to the same extent). I''m sure plenty of former teachers read the forum and am interested in why only two have commented publicly.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Golfer wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:57 am The disclosure to CH's child protection officer coming more than a decade after Dobbie had left, I believe.

I confess that I don't know what the correct procedure is in such circumstances. A school doesn't have the ability to conduct a full and fair investigation because it can't compel key people to answer questions.

I can't see how the school could have gone public in any way without being guilty of defamation - we are still a country where people are presumed innocent before conviction. In the end, in spite of the long and brutal road for the victim to travel, going through the police and the courts was the best and only way to achieve the outcome she desired i.e. the protection of future potential victims.
The school should have involved the police. As it should do now.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

bakunin wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:32 am "Father Porteous" sounds like a character from Father Ted. I don't remember him from my time there. Perhaps his quirk would be denying everything.

That would be an ecumenical matter.
Out of all of them so far, hes the one I cant get my head around

He was such a kind and caring man with no side

Happily married as far as I could tell.

Baker didnt like his modernist approach: playing loud music in chapel, pupils running around , but he was defiant saying that he reported to the Bishop not the HM

He probably saved one boy's life who was threatening to hang himself in the Prep Block gymn

I think he left after a breakdown and Dobbie took over.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Golfer wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:57 am The disclosure to CH's child protection officer coming more than a decade after Dobbie had left, I believe.

Are we really saying that as recently as 2011 the school's CPO was made aware of criminal allegations against a former employee and just sat on it?
It beggars belief if this is true.
A criminal allegation is a criminal allegation and you pass it on to the police.
It's not very complicated
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

richardb wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:27 am

The school should have involved the police. As it should do now.
And not immediately involving the Police gives people time to destroy evidence and get their story straight
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

I'm happy to admit that I am out of my depth here as my safeguarding training relates to accusations against CURRENT members of staff.

Is there a difference between a case divulged by a 15 year old (who doesn't have agency and so the guidelines are that the police are automacically involved) and a 30+ year old?

And a further question.
Is there any difference when the accused is a member of staff or has moved to a different institution?
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:32 am Are we really saying that as recently as 2011 the school's CPO was made aware of criminal allegations against a former employee and just sat on it?
No comment on your post but I believe you have the wrong date.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:00 pm I was prepared for confirmation by Porteous and Dobbie, and confirmed by Ball.
You couldnt make it up
I can see how that might colour your opinion of the CofE.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

Golfer wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:13 pm I'm happy to admit that I am out of my depth here as my safeguarding training relates to accusations against CURRENT members of staff.

Is there a difference between a case divulged by a 15 year old (who doesn't have agency and so the guidelines are that the police are automacically involved) and a 30+ year old?

And a further question.
Is there any difference when the accused is a member of staff or has moved to a different institution?
No. There is a binding duty on all schools, in the state or independent section, to refer all such allegations against staff to the Police/Local Authority Designated Officer. This includes staff who are retired, or are working in a different school or indeed outside of education.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Golfer wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:20 pm
CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:32 am Are we really saying that as recently as 2011 the school's CPO was made aware of criminal allegations against a former employee and just sat on it?
No comment on your post but I believe you have the wrong date.
Yes I stand corrected.
"More than a decade after he left" does not equate necessarily to 2011
Im guessing 2016 is closer to the mark, which makes it even odder given presumably the school was aware of Webb's first conviction in about 2014/15
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

It was before 2016. Had the school done something then the police would have been involved earlier.

I am curious about Golfer's knowledge about this as it suggests that he is aware from other sources of the disclosure to the school's child protection officer.

I would be interested to hear what date his sources have told him that that disclosure occurred upon.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

LHA wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 am am interested in why only two teachers have commented publicly.
I can think of at least 4 reasons why any member of staff would be daft to comment publicly. Bullying would be one. Someone commented that I had spent time in the "ivory tower of Peele A". The first time I actually went into Peele A was to complain to the house master that Peele A boys had commented that squits like me should not be allowed to walk on the Grecians path.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

richardb wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:17 pm It was before 2016. Had the school done something then the police would have been involved earlier.

I am curious about Golfer's knowledge about this as it suggests that he is aware from other sources of the disclosure to the school's child protection officer.

I would be interested to hear what date his sources have told him that that disclosure occurred upon.
I have no knowledge apart from this forum.