Roger Martin - trial

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

AMP
Deputy Grecian

Re: Roger Martin - trial

Post by AMP »

He was in front of a different Judge last August at Lewes Crown Court
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Henson may have been on leave.

When these sorts of things happen, they tend to put all cases in front of one judge. That judge then has the fullest knowledge of the background, personalities etc.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

AMP wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:52 pm He was in front of a different Judge last August at Lewes Crown Court
Now that it appears Judge Henson WILL be hearing this case, there will be little chance of any wool being pulled over the eyes in my opinion.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

I am very pleased to hear that.

Continuity is crucial.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

If, for example, the names of Sillett and Cairncross come up then HHJ Henson will know how they fit in.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Is anyone able to attend the trial?

Unfortunately work, a young family and geography all prevent me from doing so.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I am going to see if I can get there.

Depends on the diary. Plus the fact it is a 600 mile round trip.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Sort of.

I am afraid that the cynic in me always thinks that judges sit there thinking: "you mean he hadn't been caught since..."

An absence of convictions does not mean that a person has not been criminally active. In many cases they just haven't been caught and convicted.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

richardb wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:27 pm I am going to see if I can get there.

Depends on the diary. Plus the fact it is a 600 mile round trip.
That’s dedication!
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

richardb wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:38 pm Sort of.

I am afraid that the cynic in me always thinks that judges sit there thinking: "you mean he hadn't been caught since..."

An absence of convictions does not mean that a person has not been criminally active. In many cases they just haven't been caught and convicted.
The context is Webb's carefully worded mitigation at sentencing:

"There have been no previous convictions recorded against him since leaving the school in 1984.”

Why not just say " he has not offended since resigning from CH in 1984" or is that not considered a statement of fact and not permissible in mitigation?

Thanks for explanation
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

There is tendency to phrase it that way precisely because it is impossible to know if a person has committed an offence in the meantime.

I think its just the cautious way lawyers have to speak.
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

There is tendency to phrase it that way precisely because it is impossible to know if a person has committed an offence in the meantime.

I think its just the cautious way lawyers have to speak.
Pretty much, but the fact of a lack of convictions is 'safe ground' for a lawyer defending, and it is relevant information for the judge. A judge sentencing has to follow guidelines, (these days tramlines almost) and the defence will push for the lowest sentence possible at this point. The judge is looking more or less at placing the offence on a chart, and seeing where the offences lie on the chart, and adding in factors such as age, risk of re-offending, remorse, guilty plea, position of trust and so on, as well as previous relevant convictions, if any. It is almost a detached, robotic process for the judge, which can (probably fairly) be seen as almost callous in the detachment from the victim or the perpetrator.

Coming back to the words, "There have been no previous convictions recorded against him since leaving the school in 1984", that won't be disputed, barring some whopping error by the police/CPS in case preparation and checking the records. Whereas saying "X has not offended since (date)" could be, even inadvertently misleading the Court, as for all the Brief knows, he might have been an unindicted, untraced accomplice of Fred West or the missing Lord Lucan, and in the judge's mind would be a proposition as to fact unsupported by evidence but also irrelevant to the judge's deliberations. The judge can only go on what is proved to the Court, or is admissible (e.g a court record), or subject to judicial notice, e.g. that Thursday is the day immediately after Wednesday, or that bears perform certain functions in the woods.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

CAN I JUST REMIND MEMBERS AND POSTERS THAT THIS TRIAL IS DUE TO START AT HOVE THREE WEEKS TODAY ON THE 24TH. JUNE, ALL BEING WELL.

Please think before making posts that could be prejudicial to the hearing.

Many people view this site just as guests.

Thank you.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

If anyone is thinking of going, it has now moved and will start on Wednesday 26 June.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I'm going to lock this topic for now - will re-open it after the trial. If you have anything to add to it for information for those attending, or any other factual public updates, please PM them to me, RichardB or J.R. and we can add to the topic whilst it's locked.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.