Trial of Gary William Dobbie

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

graham
Deputy Grecian

Re: Trial of Gary William Dobbie

Post by graham »

DazedandConfused wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:24 pm
graham wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:32 pm
DazedandConfused wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:52 am

A good friend of Dobbie’s lived there in my time, I think with his wife and family.
During the 90’s Frank Pattinson lived there and he did not have a wife or kids. I don’t remember hearing any rumors about parties there but I don’t remember rumors about parties at whites either.
Apologies, my memory is clearly worse than I thought. I remembered Pattinson as being married and with at least one child, possibly a pupil, but I must be mistaken.

I also thought he was Pattison, not Pattinson, but I’m probably wrong on that front too.
You're correct, it was Pattison. Damn autocorrect on my iPhone. But he definitely wasn't married. I remember going down to East Lodge for A-level German Oral exams. I think you're right about him being a good friend of Dobbie's too.

It's scary how memories of just 20 years ago are already so hazy.
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Pattison is retired but still living in the Horsham area.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

If you read the school's response yesterday, it is clear that the key to this is Reid blaming not just the perpetrators but the environment.
We know that there was a cover up and during Karim's trial both Sillett and Cairncross tried to justify their apparent inaction.
This week saw another member of staff give evidence in which, as ai understand it, he said in terms that the pupil should forget about it in effect because things would get worse if he did.
It has taken me a long time to get there but I think I have finally got to the bottom of this.
Before you ask, I can't post what I think was going on on the open forum, so don't ask.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

There must be records even if the police was not involved at the time.

A victim of Webb was contacted out of the blue by the police when all of this kicked off.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

The police will have identified a period of time within which offending occurred and endeavoured to contact potential witnesses and victims. One victim can lead the police to another.

I was a potential victim of Webb. Nothing happened to me and I didn't witness anything. Unsurprisingly the police didn't contact me.

Don't forget a lot of what happened wasn't recorded at the time, so there wouldn't be any records.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

marty wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:11 am He was definitely at Whites when I started in 89. Makes me shudder to think about the times I went round there alone. I now wonder how many of us had a lucky escape & thoughts are with his victims.

My recollection (which let's face it dims further with each passing day so apologies if this is incorrect) is that there was unhappiness amongst the SMT that the previous Mid A housemaster (Grieg?) lived in Horsham and not on site. I always thought Dobbie moved in to the Mid A flat when he became housemaster to solve the issue of there not being a permanent member of staff in the house. The phrase “wolf in sheep’s clothing” regrettably springs to mind.
I visited Whites once - divinity related - when Dobbie was fairly new, so 84/85.

A creepy well spoken fellow.

I was amazed to learn recently that he had become a Housemaster.

What on earth was going on?
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

richardb wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:40 pm If you read the school's response yesterday, it is clear that the key to this is Reid blaming not just the perpetrators but the environment.
We know that there was a cover up and during Karim's trial both Sillett and Cairncross tried to justify their apparent inaction.
This week saw another member of staff give evidence in which, as ai understand it, he said in terms that the pupil should forget about it in effect because things would get worse if he did.
It has taken me a long time to get there but I think I have finally got to the bottom of this.
Before you ask, I can't post what I think was going on on the open forum, so don't ask.
I understand that you can’t share your theory or evidence, but do you believe that the police are working along the same lines as you?
graham wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:32 pm
It's scary how memories of just 20 years ago are already so hazy.
And scarier still that they don’t feel hazy until I realise my memory has invented a wife and child :oops:

Am I right that Pattison was a very keen cyclist?
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

richardb wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:03 pm
I was a potential victim of Webb. Nothing happened to me and I didn't witness anything. Unsurprisingly the police didn't contact me.
He was my woodwork teacher when he departed abruptly.

I still have that coffee table.

Perry was most exasperated.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

So he will be sentenced on June 12th a day before his birthday.

Nice early present.
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

DazedandConfused wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:14 pm
Am I right that Pattison was a very keen cyclist?
Yep, that's my recollection. Aston Villa fan and keen cyclist. I think he even led cycling tours with pupils and old blues.
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

DazedandConfused wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:55 pmThere was much coverage of Poulton et al at the previous trials.
There probably should be now. It's patently clear that the school of today disowns that of yesteryear:
From the testimony of this victim and others, it is clear that abuse at Christ Hospitalwas enabled not only by the perpetrators who committed it, but by the environment in which it occurred.We are conscious that it may not provide much consolation to those whose lives have been blighted in this way, but the School today is a very different place, one in which the safety, happiness and wellbeing of our pupils is at the centre of all we do.
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

DazedandConfused wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:14 pm Am I right that Pattison was a very keen cyclist?
He ran the cycle-touring club.

While cycling on one of these outings, he was in a serious traffic accident circa 1998 which led him to miss a large chunk of the school year.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

1200 acres

Houses everywhere and some quite remote.

Weak and ineffective leadership

Perfect playground for those types

Do we know if there was a link between those in situ and some of the new arrivals during that period?
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

The root cause was knowing that any misbehaviour could be covered up.

That took a particular type of teacher.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Agreed, a very devious type who knows how to play the system and knows he will be protected one way or another.

Who was responsible for recruitment and what was the process?

Was there a process?